Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K SE. Crazy offer! Only £99! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, Multiboot 4 images & more!...
Superb quality and spec AB-Com PULSe 4K Rev II Twin Satellite tuner only £149! FREE UK DELIVERY! 4K UHD, Enigma 2, SATA HDD facility, Multiboot 4 images & more!...

Some ideas to improve the Graphical EPG screen

I personally don't really understand this notion. I'm in fact pretty sure that Graphical EPG channel numbers was never rejected (feel free to correct me). I could have easily posted this in a fresh thread in another section of the forum and dropped any previous baggage of this thread - it's an isolated feature that has no reliance on any previous mods. In the past the solution to this problem was to switch out AutoBouquetsMaker with Lraizer's AB, as can be seen in many threads:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?37707-Show-channel-numbers-on-Epg-screen
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?47282-Channel-numbers-on-multi-EPG
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?32768-Channel-numbers
etc. The previous request used to be to add Channel numbering into ABM. As far as my research went, this is not deemed a proper solution and I understand why - hacking in numbers into the service name is inelegant. My development thus far was inspired by this very post:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...fo-Bar-Missing&p=213562&viewfull=1#post213562
The idea being, that channel numbers should be implemented in a non-hacky way that conforms to the way E2/ViX works. That's what I hoped I've achieved.


The only thing that was 'rejected' was matt007's bindings and visual changes. And the reasons for rejection were dubious at best: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44345-Which-coloured-EPG-options-do-you-prefer . There's some (imo) crazy logic to some of the rejections, which led me to install it myself:
  • Displaying the other available Bouquets is illogical because not everyone has < and > keys. What?? You could make this argument for absolutely anything. Displaying the other Bouquets has almost nothing to do with keys because the functionality exists whether you have them or not - only before there are no visual cues for it.
  • Assigning blue/yellow to Add Timer and Add Autotimer when the recording button is a much more logical key that already serves this purpose. Freeing up these leaves a nice place for +/- 24 hours, or even something else.
  • Using Ch+ and Ch- keys, which are arranged vertically on a remote, to navigate horizontally

These are all points that have been argued before. As for other customisations (such as Green for recordings), I believe they're inherited from preferences of being used to a Sly box, so it's understandable that they're not accepted. The borderline case is number keys - I'm sure people are used to these shortcuts and like them just how they are. However, they seem incredibly power-user with absolutely no visual guidance for them (besides the obscure HELP screen). This is why a number search fits so much more naturally to number entry. There are other valid reasons for rejection such as skin compatibility - but it is very disappointing to see an entire implementation rejected rather than trying to make the solution compatible or accepting the compatible changes, and I hope the same doesn't happen here.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument here, as I say people are free to install these mod if they choose to, I just thought I'd get my opinions from previous UI development across. Ultimately the solution has to come to a user preference option because it's what makes ViX great. Whatever the case, I purposely pushed my changes to GitHub to allow the developers to cherry pick things as they like, or not. I did do this for myself for fun and ultimately it's Team ViX's decision which I'll respect because they've built such a great firmware by maintaining a strong codebase.

p.s. rossi, i think your blue-hd skin is absolutely fantastic and I dont mean to cause any offense, just spark some debate!


no offense caused at all.
fyi i wanted these features in.

maybe some of the configurable items can be picked in.
 
@killercow, would it be possible to attach a copy of just your mods, i.e just the channel number addition, not the button reassignment code.
 
@killercow, would it be possible to attach a copy of just your mods, i.e just the channel number addition, not the button reassignment code.

I'm working on something that should work - however in the mean time if you want to compile something yourself you can simply checkout the diff on github.
 
Ok, over the weekend i've been working on allowing users to customise the coloured buttons to their preferred preference (within reason) for use within the Graphical EPG.

I've had the idea for a while now but thanks to @Matt007, @bbbuk, @Markus and @killercow for their ideas and some code to get me going.

Options available to users (for each of the coloured buttons) are: IMDb search, Timer, AutoTimer, (Display) Bouquet List, EPG Search, Show Movies, +24hr, -24hr and goto Date/Time.

By default, the Graphical EPG will use Vix's default preferred coloured options unless changed by user within menu settings for Graphical EPG.

Do people think there would be a demand for this and then hopefully included as standard within Vix?

Some screenshots:-

Menu Options (default):
CustomEPG0.webp

EPG using default options:
CustomEPG1.webp

Menu Options that I changed:
CustomEPG2.webp

EPG using menu options I chose:
CustomEPG3.webp
 
So long as things are configurable and there are no crashes, shouldn't be an issue. One of the reasons for rejection of previous code was that there is a crash.

Long press of the coloured button would be a bonus. Being a part of Button Setup even better.
 
Hey Guys

I've been building on matt007 and bbbuk's work, and decided to add something that I found strangely missing:
View attachment 45053
As you can see, I've added Channel numbers to the Graphical EPG, which in my opinion makes things much tidier and easier to find your favourite channels.

Also, I've added some 'primary bouquet' functionality:
View attachment 45054

What this does is, when displaying channel numbers on the Graphical EPG from a different category, it'll use it from the 'Primary Bouquet'. Currently this is hardcoded to be the first bouquet available (i.e. 'All Channels'), but in future could allow the user to select which bouquet Channel numbers are inherited from. What this means in practice is, that all Bouquets will use the channel numbers from All Channels, rather than keep adding numbers for different categories. The Channel from the Primary Bouquet is also zapped to.

Attached is the files required to install this, including matt007 and bbbuk's excellent key remappings (Ch-/Ch+ for scrolling pages, and Yellow/Blue for +/-24 hours, 0-9 keys for channel search) and all their work so far.

I hope this helps someone - I did it mostly for myself but learning some Enigma2 was somewhat rewarding. Please note, the setup.xml may require manual modification because this file has changed in newer versions of OpenVix - so you may lose some main menu items. If this is the case, open the original file and edit it manually according to source code changes.

Remember to keep backups in case something goes wrong! Use OpenVix's image backup feature!

After installing, you need to make the following changes in settings:
Menu -> Setup -> System -> EPG -> GraphicalEPG:
* Set "Service Title mode" to include Channel number
* "Use Channel Numbers from First Bouquet" -> Yes

Solo2, latest VIX image.

I've tried this twice now and each time it's stopped my box from working. I'm copying the files onto the box and then setting the Graphical EPG as above. When I then go into EPG it just locks up, black screens and re-boots. I try and flash the box with a recent back-up and then the box gets stuck on 'Starting......'.

The only option is to USB flash the box and set-up from scratch.

There's enough Thankyou's on this post to make it suggest I'm doing something wrong.....no idea what!
 
Long press of the coloured button would be a bonus. Being a part of Button Setup even better.
I thought about that as I was coding the normal button's but I thought to get normal button presses sorted first and then once all okay and everyone is happy it shouldn't be too much to add the code for the 'long' press of the coloured buttons.

So long as things are configurable and there are no crashes, shouldn't be an issue. One of the reasons for rejection of previous code was that there is a crash.
I've been running it for a while without crashing. Looking at previous versions they weren't user configurable so it was forcing everyone to like that specific layout of buttons regardless and I know Vix is all about allowing configurable settings.

Sorry I forgot to add source code to my post #285 so here it is. There are only three files I amended and each of these three files if you search for my username within them you can see what i've done (this was to make it easier for mods/admins to find the sections(s) that i've added).

After installing, you need to make the following changes in settings:
Menu > Setup > System > EPG > GraphicalEPG:
Select whichever coloured button you wish to re-assign and scroll through available options.


NB: These amendments were taken from already modded versions of these files by others in this thread. If admin/mods would prefer these amendments based on original Vix source code then I could do this :)

View attachment UserConfigurableColouredButtons.rar
 
Nice work ketmp. I had actually planned to do work based upon something to that effect, but it's great that we have it done now. Only issue is that it seems like we have multiple source trees now - because I allowed the setting of any primary bouquet. It may be cool to merge my latest changes into it: https://github.com/darkdreamingdan/enigma2/commit/e98acd458ddc916cdb6eef8e5dfaf35348123ddf
https://github.com/darkdreamingdan/enigma2/commit/6c6e8b3387ab369ee804badf934df70436e47196

@simon05 - you should still be able to FTP into your box after a crash. If so, FTP to /home/root/logs and post the crash log. I'm not sure why it would crash though, but I suspect it has something to do with a mixture of ViX versioning (i'm on an old build). Hopefully if we get it merged into ViX we can avoid these issues. You may want to consider modifying the setup.xml by hand instead of copying the files over, that file is impacted by ViX version.

Being a part of Button Setup even better.
The issue with the Button Setup is that it has absolutely no support for contextual button mappings - even though enigma inherently is built that way (as in keymap.xml). It makes it very hard to effectively provide UI for button mappings.

If there are any crashes, i say we'll work towards coming up with fixes.

The final question is, what do ViX want us to present? I had assumed forking on GitHub with tracked changes would be the way things are handled, like the majority of OSS.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Question:
What happens if someone does not have the large first bouquet?
Such as me. I do not have (nor do I want) "All Channels", as that's what the rest of the lists add up to.
I do have all channels listed such that each can be reached by entering its Freeview Channel ID.
 
Question:
What happens if someone does not have the large first bouquet?

Such as me. I do not have (nor do I want) "All Channels", as that's what the rest of the lists add up to.

As of the latest commit, you select whichever bouquet is your primary bouquet. If you don't want it, you simply don't enable it.

I do have all channels listed such that each can be reached by entering its Freeview Channel ID.

I'm not sure what you mean here (not seen this scenario first hand either). You effectively have an 'All Channels', but it's for Freeview instead?

https://github.com/darkdreamingdan/enigma2/archive/Dev.zip (to ensure they're the latest files)

Relevant files (install over my previous .zip with skin mods):
data/setup.xml -> usr/share/enigma2/setup.xml
lib/python/Components/EpgList.py -> usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/EpgList.py
lib/python/Components/UsageConfig.py -> usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/UsageConfig.py
lib/python/Screens/EpgSelection.py -> usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/EpgSelection.py
lib/python/Screens/InfoBar.py -> usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/InfoBar.py
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tested using just the attachments in post 288.

1. The chanenl number navigation must be optional if there is any chance of this being incorporated. At the moment, there is a loss of functionality. How does one jump to primetime or go down a page? A list of what the number buttons do is listed below. Shame to lose them.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/s...and-Navigation&p=375531&viewfull=1#post375531

2. Tried to reproduce the crash that was reported in the Dev side. Could not reproduce it.
3. Numbers not showing for me. Am I missing something? I'm using the default skin, so quite possible.
If I set to channel number and picon, I get the teh picture shown. I have tried with/without the large bouquets (Not installed/transferred the picons yet)

Positive move forwards.
 

Attachments

  • EPG screen.webp
    EPG screen.webp
    32 KB · Views: 23
Using files from post 263 and downloaded files at 0216, I'm getting a bootloop with this crash

Code:
EXCEPTION IN PYTHON STARTUP CODE:
------------------------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 660, in <module>
    runScreenTest()
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 495, in runScreenTest
    runNextScreen(session, screensToRun)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 491, in runNextScreen
    session.openWithCallback(boundFunction(runNextScreen, session, screensToRun[1:]), screen, *args)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 303, in openWithCallback
    dlg = self.open(screen, *arguments, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 313, in open
    dlg = self.current_dialog = self.instantiateDialog(screen, *arguments, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 251, in instantiateDialog
    return self.doInstantiateDialog(screen, arguments, kwargs, self.desktop)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 273, in doInstantiateDialog
    dlg = screen(self, *arguments, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/InfoBar.py", line 91, in __init__
    config.epgselection.graph_primarybouquet = ConfigSelection(choices = cfgbouquets, default = "Disabled")
NameError: global name 'ConfigSelection' is not defined
------------------------------------------------------------
<  1078.076945> [MAIN] (exit code 5)
]=]=>
        </enigma2crashlog>
    </crashlogs>
</openvix>
 
Nice work ketmp. I had actually planned to do work based upon something to that effect, but it's great that we have it done now. Only issue is that it seems like we have multiple source trees now...
I agree. I was working of a mixture of previous amendments that had been done in this thread.

I'm sure it's prudent to only introduce one thing at a time. Maybe if you get yours working and signed off and if ok with powers that be, it gets released into Vix and if no problems we then introduce my customisation. I think merging both at same time would leave us with problems.

What do mods/admin think to this?
 
Using files from post 263 and downloaded files at 0216, I'm getting a bootloop with this crash

Code:
EXCEPTION IN PYTHON STARTUP CODE:
------------------------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 660, in <module>
    runScreenTest()
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 495, in runScreenTest
    runNextScreen(session, screensToRun)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 491, in runNextScreen
    session.openWithCallback(boundFunction(runNextScreen, session, screensToRun[1:]), screen, *args)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 303, in openWithCallback
    dlg = self.open(screen, *arguments, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 313, in open
    dlg = self.current_dialog = self.instantiateDialog(screen, *arguments, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 251, in instantiateDialog
    return self.doInstantiateDialog(screen, arguments, kwargs, self.desktop)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/mytest.py", line 273, in doInstantiateDialog
    dlg = screen(self, *arguments, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens/InfoBar.py", line 91, in __init__
    config.epgselection.graph_primarybouquet = ConfigSelection(choices = cfgbouquets, default = "Disabled")
NameError: global name 'ConfigSelection' is not defined
------------------------------------------------------------
<  1078.076945> [MAIN] (exit code 5)
]=]=>
        </enigma2crashlog>
    </crashlogs>
</openvix>


My bad. Forgot to commit a line of code. Will fix ASAP tonight. To anyone interested in using my builds, don't install till i've fixed it tonight. If it's already too late, wait till tonight and i'll submit a fixed version which you can FTP to.

I agree. I was working of a mixture of previous amendments that had been done in this thread.

I'm sure it's prudent to only introduce one thing at a time. Maybe if you get yours working and signed off and if ok with powers that be, it gets released into Vix and if no problems we then introduce my customisation. I think merging both at same time would leave us with problems.

What do mods/admin think to this?

We'll wait for feedback on this, but I'm happy to merge it onto my GitHub (since i merged matt007/bbbuk's changes already).
 
Such as me. I do not have (nor do I want) "All Channels", as that's what the rest of the lists add up to.
I do have all channels listed such that each can be reached by entering its Freeview Channel ID.

The reason the receiver has or had a ALL channels list was because Enigma was designed that way. The all channels section was not meant for you the user to use, it was for the receiver it self. Bouquets were meant for the user for the user to adapt ro their own needs. Maybe that has changed in recent times with improved code but thats how it always was so no need to get arsey over something that has been there since the birth of the OS.
 
birdman said:
I do have all channels listed such that each can be reached by entering its Freeview Channel ID.
I'm not sure what you mean here (not seen this scenario first hand either). You effectively have an 'All Channels', but it's for Freeview instead?
No.
I spilt them into bouquets based on how Freeview splits them. So I have SD (1-100), HD (101-119), Children's (120-129), News (130-169), Adult (170-199), Text (200-224), Streamed (225-600), Interactive (601-699) and Radio (700-730), all with blank channel padding to get the correct channel numbers set. Each channel only appears once. There is no All Channels.
So provided that I can switch the numbering off and it won't try to do anything at all that would be OK. Although if you could also have an option to number all channels in bouquet order then that would be even better (for me).

I could always produce an "All Channels" bouquet fle (and not use it), so perhaps you could make the "All channels" file selectable from the file system, rather than assuming it to be the first one loaded.

But I wouldn't want to navigate within the EPG by channel number (as the number keys are used for other EPG functions).
 
Last edited:
As the other code has been merged, might as well as merge the coloured button customisation.

Sorry, to repeat this again: if the number pad navigation is lost, there is little chance of this being implemented.

Pretty sure that if all changes are optional, then there won't be objection. Obviously we'll have to discuss it on the other side.
 
Sorry, to repeat this again: if the number pad navigation is lost, there is little chance of this being implemented.
Just checked and as it currently stands it looks like this has been replaced by zapping to a channel entered via number buttons.

I see two possible options here. Add a menu setting to enable zap to channel from epg as a yes/no. Choosing No obviously would keep original number key function in tact.

The other option is, and here I couldn't help, but is it possible to have original numbering key on long presses instead? If possible, @Abu Baniaz, do you think this would be a possible solution?
 

OpenViX Feeds Status

Back
Top