Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Some ideas to improve the Graphical EPG screen

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, but I only use the quick infobar, graphical EPG and graphical infobar EPG. I haven't thoroughly checked the others, but it should be impossible anyway because as you'll see from the diffs on github, no modifications were made to those EPGs. It's probably easiest you just download my source tree from github: https://github.com/Talidan/enigma2/archive/Dev.zip (to ensure they're the latest files)

Relevant files are the same ones from my previous package:
    data/setup.xml -> usr/share/enigma2/setup.xml
    lib/python/Components/EpgList.py -> usr/lib/python/Components/EpgList.py
    lib/python/Components/UsageConfig.py -> usr/lib/python/Components/UsageConfig.py
    lib/python/Screens/EpgSelection.py -> usr/lib/python/Screens/EpgSelection.py

For anyone wanting to install the latest version (i.e. Channel Names in graphical infobar EPG), first make sure you've installed matt007's skin modifications from the .zip file (just install everything) from my previous post, then you can install the files listed above from Dev.zip in their corresponding directory.

Then, just like with Graphical EPG, go into Graphical InfoBar EPG settings and set Service Title mode to include channel names.
    Last edited by darkdreamingdan; 13-10-15 at 14:38.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,177 Times in 6,251 Posts

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Clabs (13-10-15),darkdreamingdan (13-10-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks abu. According to abu's definitions, here's the status of Channel Numbers:
    • Graphical EPG: Main functionality of this mod - Channel Numbers are here after installation.
    • Info Bar: This functionality existed already, in Menu > Setup > System > User Interface > Settings > Show channel number in infobar. Previous behaviour unaffected.
    • Second Info Bar: Same as "Info Bar". Previous behaviour unaffected.
    • Graphical InfoBar EPG. Standard setting (Multi EPG): This was added in my most recent commit.
    • Graphical InfoBar EPG. Single EPG: I personally don't use this Infobar, so this does not have any channel number modifications. I reckon it should be very easy to add if anyone actually wants. Previous behaviour unaffected.
    • Single EPG: I don't use this either, and I don't think having Channel Number is needed or in demand here. Previous behaviour unaffected.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,349 Posts
    they should be pretty straight forward to pick into vix if need be.

but as was discussed before, the idea was rejected to be included in vix.
    Vu Ultimo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-c, 8xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-t2
    Vu Solo4K, OpenViX 5.0, 8xdvb-s2
    Dreambox DM900, OpenViX 5.0, 2xdvb-s2, 2xdvb-c/t2
    Terrestrial, Cable, Fixed 28.2e + Unicable2 LNB

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi2000 View Post

Only by the people with power, the majority would love for it to be integrated fully into vix.
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me

Title
    Thanks
    It took a while for me to understand that Enigma2 does not have true numbering. It is dynamic.

Official receivers are limited to the one provider, the UK and a few other countries, have the numbers system whereas most do not.

Removal of the number navigation is detrimental to those with multi sat/mode receivers. So long as changes are configurable, then that is the best way to go

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,936 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duoduo View Post
    Only by the people with power, the majority would love for it to be integrated fully into vix.
    yeah well luckily for us this is not a democracy so regardless of what the majority would love, WE still get the final say. That said 90 percent of the ViX image has been tailored specifically to the users needs over time but at some point we have to just say no, that is not going to happen.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks

I personally don't really understand this notion. I'm in fact pretty sure that Graphical EPG channel numbers was never rejected (feel free to correct me). I could have easily posted this in a fresh thread in another section of the forum and dropped any previous baggage of this thread - it's an isolated feature that has no reliance on any previous mods. In the past the solution to this problem was to switch out AutoBouquetsMaker with Lraizer's AB, as can be seen in many threads:
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...-on-Epg-screen
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...s-on-multi-EPG
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...hannel-numbers
    etc. The previous request used to be to add Channel numbering into ABM. As far as my research went, this is not deemed a proper solution and I understand why - hacking in numbers into the service name is inelegant. My development thus far was inspired by this very post:
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...l=1#post213562
    The idea being, that channel numbers should be implemented in a non-hacky way that conforms to the way E2/ViX works. That's what I hoped I've achieved.

The only thing that was 'rejected' was matt007's bindings and visual changes. And the reasons for rejection were dubious at best: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...-do-you-prefer . There's some (imo) crazy logic to some of the rejections, which led me to install it myself:
    • Displaying the other available Bouquets is illogical because not everyone has < and > keys. What?? You could make this argument for absolutely anything. Displaying the other Bouquets has almost nothing to do with keys because the functionality exists whether you have them or not - only before there are no visual cues for it.
    • Assigning blue/yellow to Add Timer and Add Autotimer when the recording button is a much more logical key that already serves this purpose. Freeing up these leaves a nice place for +/- 24 hours, or even something else.
    • Using Ch+ and Ch- keys, which are arranged vertically on a remote, to navigate horizontally

These are all points that have been argued before. As for other customisations (such as Green for recordings), I believe they're inherited from preferences of being used to a Sly box, so it's understandable that they're not accepted. The borderline case is number keys - I'm sure people are used to these shortcuts and like them just how they are. However, they seem incredibly power-user with absolutely no visual guidance for them (besides the obscure HELP screen). This is why a number search fits so much more naturally to number entry. There are other valid reasons for rejection such as skin compatibility - but it is very disappointing to see an entire implementation rejected rather than trying to make the solution compatible or accepting the compatible changes, and I hope the same doesn't happen here.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument here, as I say people are free to install these mod if they choose to, I just thought I'd get my opinions from previous UI development across. Ultimately the solution has to come to a user preference option because it's what makes ViX great. Whatever the case, I purposely pushed my changes to GitHub to allow the developers to cherry pick things as they like, or not. I did do this for myself for fun and ultimately it's Team ViX's decision which I'll respect because they've built such a great firmware by maintaining a strong codebase.

p.s. rossi, i think your blue-hd skin is absolutely fantastic and I dont mean to cause any offense, just spark some debate!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darkdreamingdan For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (14-10-15),divil_a_bit (14-10-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    OK, I'll leave it to you then.
    Be aware that all skins need to be adapted.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by killercow View Post
    I personally don't really understand this notion. I'm in fact pretty sure that Graphical EPG channel numbers was never rejected (feel free to correct me). I could have easily posted this in a fresh thread in another section of the forum and dropped any previous baggage of this thread - it's an isolated feature that has no reliance on any previous mods. In the past the solution to this problem was to switch out AutoBouquetsMaker with Lraizer's AB, as can be seen in many threads:
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...-on-Epg-screen
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...s-on-multi-EPG
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...hannel-numbers
    etc. The previous request used to be to add Channel numbering into ABM. As far as my research went, this is not deemed a proper solution and I understand why - hacking in numbers into the service name is inelegant. My development thus far was inspired by this very post:
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...l=1#post213562
    The idea being, that channel numbers should be implemented in a non-hacky way that conforms to the way E2/ViX works. That's what I hoped I've achieved.

The only thing that was 'rejected' was matt007's bindings and visual changes. And the reasons for rejection were dubious at best: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...-do-you-prefer . There's some (imo) crazy logic to some of the rejections, which led me to install it myself:
    • Displaying the other available Bouquets is illogical because not everyone has < and > keys. What?? You could make this argument for absolutely anything. Displaying the other Bouquets has almost nothing to do with keys because the functionality exists whether you have them or not - only before there are no visual cues for it.
    • Assigning blue/yellow to Add Timer and Add Autotimer when the recording button is a much more logical key that already serves this purpose. Freeing up these leaves a nice place for +/- 24 hours, or even something else.
    • Using Ch+ and Ch- keys, which are arranged vertically on a remote, to navigate horizontally

These are all points that have been argued before. As for other customisations (such as Green for recordings), I believe they're inherited from preferences of being used to a Sly box, so it's understandable that they're not accepted. The borderline case is number keys - I'm sure people are used to these shortcuts and like them just how they are. However, they seem incredibly power-user with absolutely no visual guidance for them (besides the obscure HELP screen). This is why a number search fits so much more naturally to number entry. There are other valid reasons for rejection such as skin compatibility - but it is very disappointing to see an entire implementation rejected rather than trying to make the solution compatible or accepting the compatible changes, and I hope the same doesn't happen here.

Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument here, as I say people are free to install these mod if they choose to, I just thought I'd get my opinions from previous UI development across. Ultimately the solution has to come to a user preference option because it's what makes ViX great. Whatever the case, I purposely pushed my changes to GitHub to allow the developers to cherry pick things as they like, or not. I did do this for myself for fun and ultimately it's Team ViX's decision which I'll respect because they've built such a great firmware by maintaining a strong codebase.

p.s. rossi, i think your blue-hd skin is absolutely fantastic and I dont mean to cause any offense, just spark some debate!

no offense caused at all.
    fyi i wanted these features in.

maybe some of the configurable items can be picked in.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rossi2000 For This Useful Post:

Andy_Hazza (14-10-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    OK, I'll leave it to you then.
    Be aware that all skins need to be adapted.
    depends on what gets picked as to whether skins needs updating.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,980 Times in 3,287 Posts
    @killercow, would it be possible to attach a copy of just your mods, i.e just the channel number addition, not the button reassignment code.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    @killercow, would it be possible to attach a copy of just your mods, i.e just the channel number addition, not the button reassignment code.
    I'm working on something that should work - however in the mean time if you want to compile something yourself you can simply checkout the diff on github.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to darkdreamingdan For This Useful Post:

ketmp
    Ok, over the weekend i've been working on allowing users to customise the coloured buttons to their preferred preference (within reason) for use within the Graphical EPG.

I've had the idea for a while now but thanks to @Matt007, @bbbuk, @Markus and @killercow for their ideas and some code to get me going.

Options available to users (for each of the coloured buttons) are: IMDb search, Timer, AutoTimer, (Display) Bouquet List, EPG Search, Show Movies, +24hr, -24hr and goto Date/Time.

By default, the Graphical EPG will use Vix's default preferred coloured options unless changed by user within menu settings for Graphical EPG.

Do people think there would be a demand for this and then hopefully included as standard within Vix?

Some screenshots:-

Menu Options (default):
    CustomEPG0.jpg

EPG using default options:
    CustomEPG1.jpg

Menu Options that I changed:
    CustomEPG2.jpg

EPG using menu options I chose:
    CustomEPG3.jpg

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ketmp For This Useful Post:

markus625 (18-10-15),TK4|2|1 (18-10-15)

Title
    Thanks
    So long as things are configurable and there are no crashes, shouldn't be an issue. One of the reasons for rejection of previous code was that there is a crash.

Long press of the coloured button would be a bonus. Being a part of Button Setup even better.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast