Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Restart enigma 2 via telnet on the pc

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts

Restart enigma 2 via telnet on the pc

There may become a time when you need to restart the enigma 2 gui (interface) without a hard reset of the box, probably due to a system lockup or a failed EPG reload.

Based on Windows XP

On your PC Start Telnet via Start>Run>cmd {enter}

Attachment 4539Attachment 4540
    Attachment 4541

Attachment 4542

Replace "x" with the correct IP of your box.

Now Login with your username and password

Attachment 4543

Now stop enigma2, and it will automattically restart.
    Attachment 4544

You will get a cannot kill process message but do not worry.

The reason enigma2 automatically restarts is the startup script is running and will start enigma2 if it is not running.

Thanks Mikes+Messi

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bassethound For This Useful Post:

erdalsurucu23 (25-04-18),keano64 (09-04-16),Maxwell (16-12-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    For this to work, you need to have telnet client installed via the add/remove windows components in add/remove programs in control panel...

Another thing that you can do, is to run the "init 4" command to stop enigma2 altogether. This will allow you to do something that you want to do whilst enigma2 isn't running. You can then restart enigma2 by issuing the command "init 3"
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

bassethound (15-12-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    For this to work, you need to have telnet client installed via the add/remove windows components in add/remove programs in control panel...

Another thing that you can do, is to run the "init 4" command to stop enigma2 altogether. This will allow you to do something that you want to do whilst enigma2 isn't running. You can then restart enigma2 by issuing the command "init 3"
    sorry a bit off topic what are the other init commands

init 1, 2, 5 etc
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfox0786 View Post
    sorry a bit off topic what are the other init commands

init 1, 2, 5 etc
    Init is the command that changes the "runlevel" of linux. Runlevel 0 is for halting the OS, 1 is single user mode, 6 is reboot and from 2 to 5 are various multi user modes. On normal linux 5 is graphics and 3 is text, here, I suppose, 4 starts enigma and 3 doesn't. The services and programs that start in the different levels are kept in the /etc/rcX.d for level X.

GiP

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GiP For This Useful Post:

canthackit (22-12-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GiP View Post
    Init is the command that changes the "runlevel" of linux. Runlevel 0 is for halting the OS, 1 is single user mode, 6 is reboot and from 2 to 5 are various multi user modes. On normal linux 5 is graphics and 3 is text, here, I suppose, 4 starts enigma and 3 doesn't. The services and programs that start in the different levels are kept in the /etc/rcX.d for level X.

GiP
    Thanks gip very nice break down for pc but still a bit vauge for me i was curious to know exactly what each init does i was asking as i wanted to know for programming purposes but then i guess i can find out froma linux distro tutorial
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I installed pTerm App on my iphone and created an entry for my VU Duo.
    So in the rare time I need to reboot I open the app, it asks for my telnet password and voila. (Plus no need to boot up PC).
    The command I use is
    shutdown now -r
    The -r is reboot.
    Does anyone know if this is a worse command to use than the ones above to get a proper shutdown/reboot.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dfdream View Post
    I installed pTerm App on my iphone and created an entry for my VU Duo.
    So in the rare time I need to reboot I open the app, it asks for my telnet password and voila. (Plus no need to boot up PC).
    The command I use is
    shutdown now -r
    The -r is reboot.
    Does anyone know if this is a worse command to use than the ones above to get a proper shutdown/reboot.
    What the commands above do are restart enigma2. The command you are doing is restarting the whole box. Restarting enigma2 is needed for when you change skin, change channel lists etc. Restart the box is what you need when you change the drivers, change mount points etc.

Another command you can run in telnet to restart the box "reboot"...
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

bassethound (16-12-10)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    What the commands above do are restart enigma2. The command you are doing is restarting the whole box. Restarting enigma2 is needed for when you change skin, change channel lists etc. Restart the box is what you need when you change the drivers, change mount points etc.

Another command you can run in telnet to restart the box "reboot"...
    Hello there,
    I might be off topic here, but kinda desperate because my box keeps on crashing (the 5th time now for the 1st week that I have the box). The last time it crashed when I was in radio mode, I wanted to go back to TV mode but I couldn't because I had the TV button behavior set to show recordings list, not the TV list. I figured I had to change the TV button behavior to show TV. I go to VIX settings and change it. It asks me to restart GUI, I press YES. Now the box is stuck to the boot screen. The VIC logo rotates for a couple of minutes than nothing happens.
    I can however telenet the box. I tried to reboot it via telnet. Again stuck in boot screen. I did the hard boot as well. Nothing.
    I did also update the ipkg packages via telnet (hoping it would fix any bugs and pass the boot screen). no luck again.

I have reflashed the box five times (maybe more), right now it is running Vix 1.3 with the latest updates (which I did when I reflashed it). I am using CCcam 2.1.4

Can someone show me how to 'recover' the box withougt the need to reflash it. It does require at least 2 hours to do it properly (with all the settings/updates/pluggins that I like).
    on the other hand, I would not like to flash the box everytime it hangs on the boot logo. I might be wrong but there should be some limits in the number of flashings, right? :S

cheers,
    mauri

p.s. by the way, Vu+ duo is a great box! I've been a s*ybox owner since s*y+ was in the market, but this box does blow it away!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi Mauri, do you have a usb memory stick plugged in? If so, do you have a swap file set up on it? I ask because I have been through exactly the same experience as you and I (think) fixed it by not having a swapfile on usb.

If you do have a USB stick plugged in try removing it and see if the vu starts up.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Morini View Post
    Hi Mauri, do you have a usb memory stick plugged in? If so, do you have a swap file set up on it? I ask because I have been through exactly the same experience as you and I (think) fixed it by not having a swapfile on usb.

If you do have a USB stick plugged in try removing it and see if the vu starts up.
    Hi Morini,

no I do not have a USB stick plugged in it.

My worry is that this kind of freeze has happened several times, while joggling around with different set-up features, like changing epg behavior etc.
    And it does frustrate you.