Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: usb timeshift

Title
    Thanks

usb timeshift

hi
    i have formatted a 16gb usb 2.0 to use for timeshift & epg.
    i have mounted the device and can see it as mount: /media/usb
    type: ext4 R/W
    i can install and use the epg.dat file on it
    my problem is i cannot change the location of timeshift - /hdd/timeshift
    i have only got the option to remove that bookmark not add a new one
    the image is vix 632
    ham
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    vu+ duo2, 2x dvb c/c/t2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

Title
    Thanks
    It is possible, not done this myself for a very long time, I think you press the menu key whilst in the directory. Do you have an internal hdd? If so I wouldn't bother with a usb stick.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolerMaster View Post
    It is possible, not done this myself for a very long time, I think you press the menu key whilst in the directory. Do you have an internal hdd? If so I wouldn't bother with a usb stick.
    yes i have 1tb hdd but using it for permanent timeshift means i can hear it spin sometimes which is only a slight niggle as it isnt really loud but i wanted to try usb for pts
    when i am in menu>aystem>timeshift settings, pressing menu exits that menu
    pressing ok brings up select location and has the bookmark /hdd/timeshift/ at the bottom with only th option to remove this bookmark via the blue button
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

Title
    Thanks
    Ok just got out of bed to check on my receiver lol. In timeshift settings press ok on hdd/timeshift, then another hdd/timeshift pops up below bookmarks, press menu here & then ok on switch to filelist, ok on parent directory, up to list of storage devices, goin there & select your usb. In terms of noise from your hdd I also have a solo 2 & hear very minimal noise from the hdd, do you have the included dampeners installed on your hdd? What model hdd? Just a heads up on using usb for pts, on previous Vix images going back at least a year, I used to use pts on usb also but it resulted in many crashes.
    Last edited by CoolerMaster; 16-03-13 at 11:02.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolerMaster For This Useful Post:

hammyboy (16-03-13)

Title
    Thanks
    thanks cm i think it would have taken me ages to find that way to add the location of pts as the menu option isnt displayed. i have changed it now and im going to try to see how pts goes on usb but i will take your advice and switch back to hdd if i get any problems.
    my hdd is spinpoint momentus 2.5" 1tb and as far as i can remember i fitted the little black grommets between the disk and the caddy if thats what you mean by the dampers.
    but as i said there isnt really any noise just you can occasionally hear it gring slightly when permanently on but ill see how usb goes.
    ham
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband

Title
    Thanks
    Glad you got it sorted & yes I did mean the black grommets

Title
    Thanks
    Have you initialised the usb stick. Afaik the usb has to be in ext 3 or ext 4 to be used for timeshift.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bokkie View Post
    Have you initialised the usb stick. Afaik the usb has to be in ext 3 or ext 4 to be used for timeshift.
    yes i initialised the stick to ext4 and the permanent timeshift function seems to be working fine on it now thanks
    vu+ solo2 1tb hdd
    lg 55" 4ktv, lg 42" led
    13.0e, 19.2e, 28.2e
    100 meg vm broadband