Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best twin tuner for a newbie to this.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,056 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    I presume you checked the latest ViX-builds and seen that 1080p24/25/30 is indeed 'natively' supported by the chipsets used by VU & Xtrend?
    Thats is still for media playback only. HDTV is 50/60 Hz.

@ 24/25/30 HDTV is not smooth, just stuttery. Test for yourself and see.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Thats is still for media playback only. HDTV is 50/60 Hz.

@ 24/25/30 HDTV is not smooth, just stuttery. Test for yourself and see.
    LOL, there is no such thing as HDTV 1080p 50/60; it's 1080i50/60.

As I explained before:

1- there is no HDTV in 1080p@x; it simply doesn't exist (and even if it did, there's no tuner that can handle that);

2- whatever the source, the same chipset is used for the output; so there's no difference in handling TV or recordings. So if output is set to say 1080p30 this resolution is always outputted, whatever the source;

3- indeed: upscaling is never a good idea.

But that's not the point. Point is that you suggested the Quad to be the first STB using a 1080p capable chipset. And that's not the case: the chipsets (SoC's) of all VU's and Xtrend's (and probably many more) are perfectly capable of handling 1080p.

The autoresoultion is still very useful to adjust the output to be the same as the input.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks

As I explained before:

1- there is no HDTV in 1080p@x; it simply doesn't exist (and even if it did, there's no tuner that can handle that);

2- whatever the source, the same chipset is used for the output; so there's no difference in handling TV or recordings. So if output is set to say 1080p30 this resolution is always outputted, whatever the source;

But that's not the point. Point is that you suggested the Quad to be the first STB using a 1080p capable chipset. And that's not the case: the chipsets (SoC's) of all VU's and Xtrend's (and probably many more) are perfectly capable of handling 1080p.

The autoresoultion is still very useful to adjust the output to be the same as the input.
    The GB Quad upscales HDTV 1080p 50/60 hz, no Xtrend (apart from ET4000) or VU+ can do this. Try using a Xtrend or VU+ set at 1080p 24/25/30 hz, view live TV then comeback and post

YES all can use 24/25/30 hz, I didn't say they couldn't, but only for media playback.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Administrator
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,096 Times in 4,733 Posts

As I explained before:

@Rob, i think what Scillian is referring to is, the chipset is capable of handling 1080p @ 50/60Hz whether it being for Media or live tv, i know that the live steam is only 1080i, but with the new UHDTV in testing (2160p http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-h...ion_television) downscaling to 1080p 50/60 would be good. also now that most TV shows can be bought via WEB and are at 1080p 50/60 Hz this res is needed for smooth play back.

@Sciilian

1080p 24/25/30 Hz is only good for BluRay rips, and you TV has to support the res natively, most TV do not, but instead acept the 24 Hz signal and convert back to 50/60Hz this is why your play is not smooth, my plasma does support 24Hz (23.967 Hz) and i use it all the time on my Ultimo and is really smooth.

hope this info helps.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Release notes can be found in the About screen by pressing epg/info
    Rules can be found HERE - Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andyblac View Post
    @Sciilian

1080p 24/25/30 Hz is only good for BluRay rips, and you TV has to support the res natively, most TV do not, but instead acept the 24 Hz signal and convert back to 50/60Hz this is why your play is not smooth, my plasma does support 24Hz (23.967 Hz) and i use it all the time on my Ultimo and is really smooth.

hope this info helps.
    Both my TV's support 24/25/30 Hz, media playback @ 1080p at any of those settings is smooth, live TV is not unless 50/60hz.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The GB Quad upscales HDTV 1080p 50/60 hz, no Xtrend (apart from ET4000) or VU+ can do this. Try using a Xtrend or VU+ set at 1080p 24/25/30 hz, view live TV then comeback and post
    Of course I have done that before even thinking of posting anything at all
    On the very cheap TV I'm using atm, picture quality of my Ultimo/UNO/ET9200 when set to 1080p30 is very good (but not better than it was on 1808i), even though internally the TV is probably downscaling that again: very smooth and no stuttering at all. So if you experience that, it must be down to the TV used, and not to the video-output of the box.

YES all can use 24/25/30 hz, I didn't say they couldn't, but only for media playback.
    Again: there's no such thing as a setting for media playback only.

Quote Originally Posted by andyblac View Post
    @Rob, i think what Scillian is referring to is, the chipset is capable of handling 1080p @ 50/60Hz whether it being for Media or live tv, i know that the live steam is only 1080i, but with the new UHDTV in testing (2160p http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-h...ion_television) downscaling to 1080p 50/60 would be good. also now that most TV shows can be bought via WEB and are at 1080p 50/60 Hz this res is needed for smooth play back.
    Again: even if there were transmissions with a higher resolution than 1080i, there's no tuner (yet available) that can handle that. So on the present and near future STB's 1080i-services is the best that can be received.

But anyway: upscaling can never ever provide a better picture than the source is, so all these specs are mainly for showing off. The best available material atm is 1080p24/25/and sometimes 30, so that can be handled excellent by all STB's.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

twol (16-10-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,904 Times in 2,256 Posts
    Of course I have done that before even thinking of posting anything at all
    To a large extent all the talk about 1080i/p is largely irrelevant...the weakest link in this chain is the TV setup and the owner Many people even if they have a THX specification option on their TV, do not use it because either they do not know its there or because they prefer a brighter/more colourful picture.............. so you can transmit the most wonderful picture, and have idiots destroy it by not setting up their TV's accordingly.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    To a large extent all the talk about 1080i/p is largely irrelevant...the weakest link in this chain is the TV setup and the owner Many people even if they have a THX specification option on their TV, do not use it because either they do not know its there or because they prefer a brighter/more colourful picture.............. so you can transmit the most wonderful picture, and have idiots destroy it by not setting up their TV's accordingly.
    Good you mention that: indeed I think some 50% (maybe even more) of TV's (and STB's or whatever the source is) have all kinds of settings very wrong. So called 'video enhancers' for sure do the opposite of what the name suggests.
    And indeed brightness and saturation are far too high most of the time.
    Add to that the number of TV's using overscan, and no surprise hardly anybody at all watches HD......

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Good you mention that: indeed I think some 50% (maybe even more) of TV's (and STB's or whatever the source is) have all kinds of settings very wrong. So called 'video enhancers' for sure do the opposite of what the name suggests.
    And indeed brightness and saturation are far too high most of the time.
    Add to that the number of TV's using overscan, and no surprise hardly anybody at all watches HD......
    I've been reading this thread with interest and find all of your points intriguing. But in my humble opinion people have their equipment set up to their personal taste in brightness and saturation etc.... Every bodies vision is different, and it comes down to personal choice.....so I think it's harsh to say peoples set-ups are wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Vu+Duo
    Vix Hades
    WD 1TB Blue Desktop Drive 3.5" SATA-III 7200RPM 64MB =Cross EPG & 256mb Swap File
    Kingston DataTraveler SE9 8GB USB =PTS

Vu+Duo
    Vix Hades
    Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB=Cross EPG & 256mb Swap File

Both Duo's Plugins, Lraizer Autobouquet, Cacheflush, Mediascanner, Picture player, Movie Browser & Openwebif

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyblueys For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (17-10-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    I'd guess most people use the default settings on the TV they just bought.
    Doesn't always suit a more complex STB video outputs...
    Saying that, If I buy the latest Sony TV, i'd love if it worked perfectly with my latest VU, but sadly it doesn't.
    Settings need to be adjusted for optimal performance at times.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyblueys View Post
    I've been reading this thread with interest and find all of your points intriguing. But in my humble opinion people have their equipment set up to their personal taste in brightness and saturation etc.... Every bodies vision is different, and it comes down to personal choice.....so I think it's harsh to say peoples set-ups are wrong.
    I do stand behind what I stated. But maybe I should have elaborated a bit more.

The default setings of literally every TV are very wrong. They are made to impress, to show off, to stand out on a shop shelve amongst dozens of other TV's i brought day or, even worse, TL light. All TV's are set to use overscan, brightness and saturation have the showroom-setting, video 'enhancers' are all active.

Now tell me: which of the above settings is correct when connected to an STB at people's home? I' ll give away the answer: none. None of the settings is correct.

And now tell me: how many people change any of the settings for all the inputs and devices used by them? Again I'll give away the answer: only a very small percentage.

Now why do you think most people don't change any settings at all? Again my answer: because they have no idea. No idea at all. And can we blame them?
    No.
    No, because most people have no clue about the importance and even about the meaning of those settings. And most manuals are not much helping in that area either. The making of some settings is explained, but not the real meaning of a setting, not the fact that all settings must be made per input. And of course that can be explained as well: most advertisement is about what the TV has in the area of picture quality compared to other brands; now would it be logical for the same manufacturer to tell their clients in the manual that you'd better turn off all the expensive enhancers? No of course not. Do you think manufacturers advise their clients to turn overscan off? No of course not; due to several poor-contents-providers they might get questions about the half-dotted-white-line at the top left of their newly and dearly bought TV. So overcan is hidden in the manual under all kind of fancy names. Or it is even impossible to turn it off.

Don't get me wrong: if people really make choices and make settings to their likings, there would be no problem at all. And of course, I would 100% respect that. But that's not the case. A glimpse in our forum about the number of people claiming that 'the ViX-menu's don't fit on the screen' already proves that my statement is correct.
    And not the users are to blame, but TV-producers and their retailers. A good advise, also in the after-sales circuit, could do wonders in the area of customer education.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

KristianM (18-10-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I take what you say on board you make a fair point. I think that relates to almost every product you could buy. The manufacturers and the Sellers are basically after the revenue and their profit margins. Plus the the majority of "Joe public"think they've got a good deal just because the sales man tells him so......naivety and ignorance.

But less of that...I'll get off my soap box now.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Vu+Duo
    Vix Hades
    WD 1TB Blue Desktop Drive 3.5" SATA-III 7200RPM 64MB =Cross EPG & 256mb Swap File

Vu+Duo
    Vix Hades
    Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB=Cross EPG & 256mb Swap File

Both Duo's Plugins, Lraizer Autobouquet, Cacheflush, Mediascanner, Picture player, Movie Browser & Openwebif

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,904 Times in 2,256 Posts
    A THX calibrated TV has a display option that has been calibrated to criteria to best reproduce a film as originally recorded by the studio, unfortunately as Rob van der Does indicates these settings can be at first sight a bit of a shock, as often the picture appears less bright and colour rich, so people (even if they know that the option exists) either modify the calibrated settings or go back to a colour setting option that is chosen to overcome the difficulties of displaying in a shop............ but people are people and it is their choice and decision............. most of us accept the sound quality imposed by the MP3 format, it may not be the best quality available but we still pay good money for all those downloads!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    There are not thaT MANY THX-calibrated TV's around. And if people spend a lot of money to have one, you might expect them to be conscious about settings.

And about choices: as I tried to explain: as long as people are aware, know what they do: of course, please be my guest and make any choice you want. But than again: don complain about picture quality.
    But my guess is that most people have no clue about the above named settings, and in that case they don't really make choices.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    I would avoid the Alien all together to be honest. while the technical specs may look impressive and the price is a nice fit too, it does not have a broadcom CPU and that means that the Enigma2 side of things is very lacking and likely not to improve, I can also say with total certainty that ViX will never support the alien with it's current processor.
    I am still to buy my twin tuner, but I see the sponsor now has the Alien units.
    Does this mean it's development is moving forward and the box is showing potential?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast