I have an external USB hard drive attached to all of my several different VU+ cable and sat boxes to be able to easily move my recordings off the smaller (but faster) internal hard drives and also to free up space on the internal hard drives.

The problem is when there is a power loss, or the box hangs for whatever reason and needs a power off/on to start again, by doing this the external hard drive filesystem becomes corrupt and needs to be re-initialised and by doing this all recordings are of course lost.

I already have the boxes connected via UPSes but for longer power cuts they are not enough, nor do they help when a power off/on is needed when the box hangs.

I could of course disconnect the external USB disk and try to recover the file system on another computer with special software but for most of the year I am located in another country without physical access to the boxes so this is not a viable option.

Is there anyone out there who have had the same problem and solved it somehow?

I have already tried the built in disk tools but they are not able to fix the corruption but searching online do show one promising piece of software that the source code is available for and should be possible to run on the VU+ hardware but I am no programmer and there is no compiled version available for the VU+ hardware and I am not even sure if there is support for compiling with the standard OpenVix installation that I am using.

It would be great if someone could either compile a binary for this or even make ipk for this though assuming I am not the only one who struggles with corruption of USB disks.

The internal disks do not seem to have the same problem at all.