I'm not sure what the correct terminology is, so I will describe what I want to achieve in the hope I can get some pointers:

Currently we are using the DLNA client app on an old Sony TV to stream recorded programs (only) from a Mut@nt PVR. The Sony TV firmware is quite old and it will not play 1080p videos over DLNA from the Mut@nt, unless I transcode them first to AC3 audio. At the same time I also have to transcode the video to h264 and remux into a ts, otherwise the playback has repeated momentary audio glitches. This is quite tedious to do, requires planning in advance and is limited to recorded programs, not live TV transmissions (terrestrial TV reception is bad in the room where the Sony TV is located).

I am looking for a 'box' which will act as a streaming client for the Mut@nt PVR, to stream both live TV and recorded programs from the Mut@nt to the Sony TV, up to 1080p resolution. It should have an HDMI port to connect to the Sony TV and 1Gbps ethernet. I do not need wireless capability, as the two locations are connected with wired ethernet. I also do not need a second PVR, just to use it as a streaming client. The client should be operated with a remote control and be able to pause and resume playback, rewind, etc. I thought of repurposing a PC and using OpenWebIf on it, but given the need to configure and maintain yet-another-PC-system, I would prefer the simplicity of a purpose built device.

Grateful for any suggestions,