Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Advice on Freeview HD Receiver to get?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Title
    Thanks

Question Advice on Freeview HD Receiver to get?

Hello all,

I'm sure you get regular posts asking for advice on which receiver to get, so I hope you won't mind me asking as well

I'm coming from a Topfield TF5800PVR which I was first drawn to by the ability to modify it's look and functionality by either TAPS or firmware changes. My second Toppy has finally died and so I'm looking for a new PVR. I already have a YouView box as a temporary replacement, but I hate the slow response, poor EGP, diabolical archive (recordings menu). I was going to get a Panasonic PVR as it looked half decent but then a thread on the toppy.org.uk forum lead me to this website which has opened my eyes to the alternative receives available.

So, what I'm looking for is something with multi Freeview HD tuners, reliable, easy for initial setup but has options to delve deeper as my understanding increases. I also want to be able to copy the recorded files onto another PC/Drive via LAN, set recordings via web/mobile. I don't necessarily need 4K at this time. I realise that some of these will be down to the user interface software and will probably go for OpenVix.
    EDIT. Forgot to add that I'd like to have the ability to change what the VFD/LCD front panels show if possible to show the recording/playback status as possibly other things. Not sure if this is down to the box itself or OpenVix though.

I've narrowed my list down to:

• VU+ Duo 2 (SELECT YOUR TUNERS) Enigma2 Linux Receiver Full HD 1080p PVR READY
    • OCTAGON SF4008 4K UHD 2160p Linux Enigma 2 Receiver 3x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 Tuners

Both about the same price and I've read good reviews on them both as well. Is there anything I should know about either of these that may sway my choice? I'm sort of tempted for the Octogon at the moment.

Appreciate any help you can provide. If there are any guides/FAQs I should look at please let me know, though I've tried to read up on what I can so far.

Cheers
    Last edited by Cirrus; 24-09-17 at 11:30.