Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: Drive free space vanishing

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
No
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Attachments

Thread: Drive free space vanishing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Title
    Thanks

Drive free space vanishing

After having flashed the box with the Willo build (which was on 4.2.030), I found that my 1TB internal hdd (supplied very recently with the box by WoS) freespace went from 99% to 33%, after having left it on for only a few days for just a few recordings.

In particular many other users are also reporting the problem, including at least one user (aceone in Techkings) running Openatv 6, see:
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...g-my-HDD-space
    and
    Code:
    http://www.techkings.org/threads/is-the-edision-os-mega-the-right-one-for-me.119032/#post-680916
    I have tried many tests and potential fixes, but the problem persists:
    1) Redirecting /hdd/movie and timeshift to a 16GB USB stick formatted in ext4
    2) Flashed 5.0.002
    3) Turning off timeshift
    4) Turning off swap
    5) Performing a reinitialisation of the hdd, in ext4, via the menu
    6) Performing a file system check on the hdd, via the menu. Like a restart this was however effective in returning the lost space, but the problem did not go away

I have found that:
    a) Executing fsck -alR on the hdd, and indeed from root, via puTTY, showed no sizeable file that could possibly have explained the lost space
    b) Executing fsck or hard restart / reboot from the menu are effective in reclaiming the lost space
    c) Recorded programme file sizes are as expected, timeshift file sizes (that are visible by Filezilla or ls-a) do not appear excessive
    d) Recording programmes, allowing timeshift to be on, or pressing the pause button on the remote all give rise to hdd freespace lost
    e) On the other hand hdd freespace does not change (between restarts e.g.) by leaving the box on without recording programmes as long as timeshift is disabled and not pressing the pause button
    f) It is of course not conclusive, from just reading posts and asking other kind users to do tests on their machines, but I have seen no evidence yet that any user is free from this hdd freespace loss phenomenon, if they record and delete programmes, or have timeshift on.
    g) Disabling timeshift might have lowered the rate of freespace loss. At one stage I was experiencing ~8GB of loss an hour.

Many thanks for the help in advance!

Cheers!
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 14-03-17 at 10:45.