I have just purchased an Xtrend ET10000, my first enigma box, and I am in the process of installing software and setting it up. The dealer flashed it with the latest openpli image. Here in the Netherlands that seems to be the dealer's default image. After browsing the forums I am somewhat confused by the possibilities offered by the different images. think that thee is a market for a book on "Enigma for Dummies"!!

My goal is to optimise capability combined with stability and I am less concerned about appearance and aesthetics. From this standpoint I would have a few questions.

1. Are there more plug-ins available for the Vix image than for the OPENPLI image?

2. I am particularly interested in an epg that allows for the equivalent of Freest/ Sky's "series link". What are the relevant plug-ins and are these available both on OPENPLI and/or Vix. I have seen from the web that there is a problem with running Crossing on Openpli 4 because of a missing library.

3. I am also interested in "On-Demand" plug-ins, such as iplayer, ITV player, RTEplayer and the Dutch "Uitzending gemist". What are the available plug-ins and are these available on OPENPLI and/or Vix?

4. Are there sites where additional plug-ins are available in addition to the official plug-ins that can be downloaded directly from the receiver? If so, are there instructions available for downloading and ftp-ing these plug-ins via Idreamx on my mac. (I have already succeeded in editing bouquets via Idreamx).

The easiest for me would be to stick to openPLI initially, but if Vix is stable and better for the above applications I will change.

Sorry if these questions are naive. Advice would be appreciated. Thanking you in advance.