Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: recording a series

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

recording a series

could telme what is the best way to record a complete series could explain please what is the best way do this

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deltec View Post
    could telme what is the best way to record a complete series could explain please what is the best way do this
    One way is to set an autotimer, especially if you don't know the time and day of the next episode.

If the program is listed in the EPG go to the EPG and find the program

Example -
    If I want to record "Law and Order" highlight it in the EPG

autotimer1.jpg

Press blue (ADD Autotimer)
    You should get the screen

autotimer2.jpg

Untick Exact match
    Untick Match Timespan
    Untick Only on Weekday
    Press green (OK)

autotimer3.jpg

With many Autotimers it usually helps to set:-
    Search type = partial
    Search strictness = case-insensitive search

To avoid repeats
    Require description to be unique = An service/recording
    Require description to be unique = Title and Short description (DO NOT SET THIS TO = title and all descriptions)

As the programs appear in the EPG the next day/week/month the autotimer will find it, check the short description to see if is not a repeat and set a timer for it.

The repeat checking may fall over on lesser channels where they give the same short description for all programs in the series or on channels such as Quest where the description sometimes doesn't match the program being transmitted.

In some cases the Match Title field may/will have to be edited. Example:
    https://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?66317

Autotimers can be configured for much more than detailed above
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I do it another way when on that channel i press the RED button which gives me 7 day epg on that channel and select what i need to record , blue button then green green button to set my AutoTimer. I go on down to that list to see if its on another time/day outside my parameters , if so add another AutoTimer.

I need to remember to remove Autotimers after they are done on a series as no longer needed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

deltec (22-03-24)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    I do it another way when on that channel i press the RED button which gives me 7 day epg on that channel and select what i need to record , blue button then green green button to set my AutoTimer. I go on down to that list to see if its on another time/day outside my parameters , if so add another AutoTimer.

I need to remember to remove Autotimers after they are done on a series as no longer needed.
    With a single autotimer you can have one, two , three .... multiple TV channels of your choice to search. You can select all days of the week to search or you could restrict it to, say only Mondays and Wednesdays.

I tend not to restrict the time of day so the autotimer will search through all 24hrs per day. In nearly a decade of using OpenVix the number of recording that have been missed can be counted on one hand.

The only time I've set more than one Autotimer for a program was for Dr Who. The BBC decided to alternate the title between "Dr Who" and "Doctor Who". "Dr Who" does not equal "Doctor Who" when searching the EPG. Having a partial match on just "Who" is too general as it would, for instance, also pick up "Who do you think you are?", "Who wants to be a millionaire"? etc. etc.
    Last edited by adm; 22-03-24 at 16:00.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

deltec (22-03-24)