Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Is there an LNB to get Sky Q and VU+ Ultimo 4K on the same dish?

Title
    Thanks

Question Is there an LNB to get Sky Q and VU+ Ultimo 4K on the same dish?

Hi. I've currently got 2 VU+ Ultimo 4K boxes (8 tuners total) and 1 Sky+ HD box connected to 2 Sky mini dishes using a standard LNB. One of the dishes is a backup in case the other dish gets any dropped frames if it's knocked out of alignment.

I'm getting Sky Q installed and Sky said they won't add a new dish, they will only change the LNB on an existing dish.

Is there an LNB I can buy which will allow me to connect both Sky Q and 1 of my VU+ Ultimo 4K boxes to the same dish as I'd like to avoid getting a 3rd dish if I can?

If not, any suggestions on what I should do?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thinking a Hybrid lnb to allow using it with sky Q and freesat boxes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cactikid For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (18-03-24)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Get a Unicable/dscr multiswitch and quattro LNB. Some switches will take wideband LNBs. You can then set all 8 tuners on each tuner card of of your ultimo 4Ks as well as facilitating the Sky Q receiver.

Title
    Thanks
    Do you have a link to that product being sold please. How does that thing work as I've never heard of that before? Does it work with any size of dish as I've got mini Sky dishes and I'm in Dumfries, Scotland (South West Scotland).

Title
    Thanks
    Pretty sure we discussed this a couple of years ago. Anyway, you will need a 40mm collar for your minidish. Or just use a non-Sky dish.

Have a look for following items on eBay.
    TRIAX TMDS54C 4 Way dSCR Multi switch
    Inverto 8 way sky Q compatible dSCR Multiswitch
    Unitron DCSS-422 SkyQ multiswitch

Title
    Thanks
    If you decide to use a hybrid LNB, you get some with two wideband ports and four universal outputs. Sky will provide these but it needs to be booked in before the installation.

Title
    Thanks
    To keep it simple this is what you need just do a google:

labgear Hybrid LNB 6 Output Hybrid LNB | 2 x Wideband + 4 x Quad | For use with Sky Q, Sky+, SkyHD or Freesat

or tell SKY you want a HYBRID LNB but I believe they have stopped supplying them.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Don't the specs of the Sky Q box allow for unicable lnb's to be used directly ?

Code:
    Satellite receiver and security
    • Full Band tuner290-2340MHz
    • DVB-S/S2 demodulation and error correction
    • Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) compliant video and
    audio decoding
    • Support wideband and dCSS Unicable LNB
    • Power source available for LNB of 600mA @12V DC available from
    either port
    Power consumption/Power saving features
    • Total Energy Consumption in line with Voluntary
    Industry Agreement for Complex STB
    Code:
    https://static.skyassets.com/contentstack/assets/blt7f2b03fd02c7fe60/blt3651e096eb9f742d/61dd55c814ef402247ceb123/download?disposition=inline
    Code:
    https://static.skyassets.com/contentstack/assets/blt7f2b03fd02c7fe60/blt84594cea8ecda370/61dd55887c5435387a0c0687/download?disposition=inline
    Last edited by Ev0; 18-03-24 at 19:14.

Title
    Thanks
    Sky use their own version of unicable. The frequencies they use are not the same as industry standard ones so would need a device that has separate outputs anyway, so that rules out an LNB. Italian and UK versions are different too.

Title
    Thanks
    Abu, The Sky engineer is due to install Sky Q in 2 days time so I need to order the LNB as quickly as possible because Sky said they no longer supply Hybrid LNBs. A few people have said different things here, would you mind again please confirming the products I need to buy. If possible can you give a link to a webpage selling the products. Much appreciated, thanks.

I'm just a bit confused as in the past I was told to get a Hybrid LNB but you're saying not to get one. I'm in South West Scotland and I have a mini Sky dish. I know the 4K VU+ box with FBC tuners only needs 1 sat cable but if that setup is expensive then I'm quite happy using the old Sky+ HD sat cables where I need 4 sat cables to go into the VU+ 4K box.

Do I definately need all these products you mentioned or is there a much cheaper solution:
    40mm collar for your minidish
    TRIAX TMDS54C 4 Way dSCR Multi switch
    Inverto 8 way sky Q compatible dSCR Multiswitch
    Unitron DCSS-422 SkyQ multiswitch

Can you explain what they do please?
    Last edited by SkyFan; 19-03-24 at 19:00.

Title
    Thanks
    For you to get the most out of your FBC tuner, you should use a unicable device.

You can use a universal LNB, as you are doing now. But you end up using internal loop through instead of having 8 independent tuners.

I gave you three example products, you don't need all three.
    Sky uses 38mm LNBs, this is why you need a 40mm adapter.

A quattro LNB has separate outputs and is used to supply a switch. You can then send to multiple devices.

The three switches I gave as examples, will take the signal from the quattro LNB and will send to several devices. It will send signal to the Sky Q as well as Unicable signal to you Ultimo 4K.

The cheapest option is to put a unicable LNB on your second dish and feed all your Enigma2 receivers from it. And the other dish to use for SkyQ. But you are unlikely to accept this because you want the backup for poor signal.

I can't post links to items as it is against forum rules. The sponsor sells unicable LNBs.

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...earch=Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    I don't record many channels now so I don't need a unicable LNB. Only reason to get it is to reduce the 4 cables to 1 cable but I'm not that bothered about that.
    So do I just need to buy a Hybrid LNB and the 40mm collar for my mini dish?

Title
    Thanks
    This is the dish I have:
    Sky Mini Dish I Have.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    The hybrid LNBs are designed for Sky dishes, so you don't need a 40mm collar.