Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZGemma H7S new user - please be gentle!

Title
    Thanks

ZGemma H7S new user - please be gentle!

I've recently ordered/installed a ZGemma H7S, and it's been an "interesting" journey so far..

I have a former Sky dish (SkyHD not Q - LNB from approx 2011), and Terrestrial (Mendip region).
    First issue was that attempting to set up using AutoBouquets detected literally nothing on either Satellite or Terrestrial.. 😱

I reconnected the satellite feeds to the old Sky box, and all seemed fine; channels where expected, I also attempted adding extra channels using frequencies from Astra2e list (high/low, H&V), all as expected. I
    checked installer settings, and confirmed the LNB was set up as "Standard" (Low band 9.750GHz, High Band 10.600GHz).

Back on the ZGemma, a general automatic scan worked for Terrestrial (channels detected on the correct frequencies/muxes). An automatic scan for satellite (set to Astra 28.2) failed completely - no channels found.
    I then attempted a blind scan on Satellite - which found hundreds of channels (all those I'd expect to see), however frequencies did not match those published e.g. More4+1 on 10721 (should be 10714.25), Sky Intro on 12333 (should be 12324).

I've since done some fiddling with settings for Satellite tuners set to advanced rather than simple, and found that setting Low band to 09743 and High to 10591 seems to bring the channels to their expected frequencies (ABM now works for Freesat channels).
    However ABM is still failing for Freeview (Mendip), with an error about no signal on 698MHz (which according to Mendip info isn't a frequency used by Mendip)..?

So my main questions..
    - Is my box ok for satellite connections/tuners i.e. is it likely that my LNB is inaccurate, the Sky box is more "forgiving", and ZGemma needs advanced settings as I've found (are these ok?)? Or is this an indication there is a problem with my ZGemma and I should return/replace?
    - Any ideas/suggestions why ABM fails for Freeview (with a frequency that doesn't seem to be used)?

Hope this is ok - apologies in advance if I've missed anything daft.. 👍

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    For Freeeview, we depend on people to update the details required. ukfree.tv that you linked to sopped having updates for a while and even the government website had incorrect data.

I have update the frequency that ABM uses, please run the update provider function and then try again. If that does not work, please run The frequency finder within ABM, it will create a new provider. Use that instead of the stock Freeview one and it should work. Please upload the provider file created so we can update Mendip properly. Otherwise install Terrestrial scan plugin and it will do more or less the same thing.

LNB should be "universal", not "standard". 10.70–12.75 GHz

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,956 Times in 3,276 Posts
    If you are having to shift the oscillator frequency like that it seems the LNB LO is knackered. Either that or the box is suspect. So first step would be switching to a fresh LNB.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    For Freeeview, we depend on people to update the details required. ukfree.tv that you linked to sopped having updates for a while and even the government website had incorrect data.
    Apologies, didn't realise this 😕

I have update the frequency that ABM uses, please run the update provider function and then try again.
    Thanks, that seems to have worked.. 👍

If that does not work, please run The frequency finder within ABM, it will create a new provider. Use that instead of the stock Freeview one and it should work. Please upload the provider file created so we can update Mendip properly. Otherwise install Terrestrial scan plugin and it will do more or less the same thing.
    Do you still want/need me to do this, or is confirmation that the change you made seems to be enough?

LNB should be "universal", not "standard". 10.70–12.75 GHz
    "Standard" was the designation on the Sky box, I initially set up tuner on the ZGemma as Simple/Single, then tried Advanced/Universal.
    After the blind scan seemed to find the channels but frequencies wrong I changed to User Defined and adjusted LOF/L & LOF/H values..

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    If you are having to shift the oscillator frequency like that it seems the LNB LO is knackered. Either that or the box is suspect. So first step would be switching to a fresh LNB.
    Ok, thanks - job for another day then (I don't have spare LNB).. 👍

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beermatt For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (02-03-24)

Title
    Thanks
    If ABM created Terrestrial bouquets properly, no need for anything else.

Title
    Thanks
    Well I would have asked what image are you using and the version? And then go from there. And yes that is the daft bit you missed.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmitie View Post
    Well I would have asked what image are you using and the version? And then go from there. And yes that is the daft bit you missed.
    Thanks - good point! 👍

The box came with an old version of OpenATV installed; as the box came set up for multiboot with 4 slots, rather than upgrade the existing image I installed latest available versions of OpenViX & OpenATV on 2 spare slots.
    I did most of my setup/testing with OpenViX but checked there was nothing significantly different (particularly satellite/lnb frequencies) on OpenATV.

I haven't reflashed/updated the bootloader/base image, is this likely to have any benefit?

Title
    Thanks
    The receiver has hardware multiboot, it has a recovery image. As such, there is no "base image". Think of it as a bootloader.

ABM for satellite does not interrogate the frequencies like the Enigma2 scan, it uses the data on the tables. It tunes into the home provider to read the data. For Sky UK it is 11778 MHz, Vertical, 27500. For Freesat it is 11426 MHz, Horizontal, 27500

If you are still having the satellite frequency issues, then Huevos' assessment about LNB is most likely the most relevant one. Are you able to test receiver at a family member/friend's house? Must not be a Sky Q wideband LNB.

Title
    Thanks
    With Vix all you do is set up the 2 tuners for sat ie astra, A and B as simple single no no then go to autobouquetmaker and select your region and FTA only, hide the sections you don't need, run it, then go back and set epg as openepg and downlaod, = job done/

why are you messing with blind scan thats for feeds and more apt for a motorised dish.

This has me baffled " I haven't reflashed/updated the bootloader/base image, is this likely to have any benefit?" EXPLAIN.

So stick with Open Vix 6.4.0.1.1

You have made it all far too complex, with VIX its simple. If you dont want to use ABM just go to manual scan and select astra 28 east, then FTA.

I can assure you its easy peasy.

Title
    Thanks
    The receiver has hardware multiboot, it has a recovery image. As such, there is no "base image". Think of it as a bootloader.
    Ok thanks for confirming 👍

ABM for satellite does not interrogate the frequencies like the Enigma2 scan, it uses the data on the tables. It tunes into the home provider to read the data. For Sky UK it is 11778 MHz, Vertical, 27500. For Freesat it is 11426 MHz, Horizontal, 27500
    Good to know, thanks 👍

If you are still having the satellite frequency issues, then Huevos' assessment about LNB is most likely the most relevant one. Are you able to test receiver at a family member/friend's house? Must not be a Sky Q wideband LNB.
    I'll see if I can find someone suitable 👍

With Vix all you do is set up the 2 tuners for sat ie astra, A and B as simple single no no then go to autobouquetmaker and select your region and FTA only, hide the sections you don't need, run it, then go back and set epg as openepg and downlaod, = job done/
    Is what I (naively) assumed/expected, so was surprised when ABM didn't find anything with satellite tuners set to Simple/Single or Advanced/Universal.. 🙄

why are you messing with blind scan thats for feeds and more apt for a motorised dish.
    After no channels being found found using ABM or full Astra 28.2 scan, was confused, thought I'd see what other options there were (getting bit desperate).. 😕

This has me baffled " I haven't reflashed/updated the bootloader/base image, is this likely to have any benefit?" EXPLAIN.
    I didn't know if the bootloader was literally just a bootloader or contained drivers etc (reply above confirms it's just bootloader).

So stick with Open Vix 6.4.0.1.1

You have made it all far too complex, with VIX its simple. If you dont want to use ABM just go to manual scan and select astra 28 east, then FTA.

I can assure you its easy peasy.
    .. Except when it's not.. 😂

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beermatt For This Useful Post:

bmitie (09-03-24)

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry, maybe I should not have used bootloader as that conflicts with bootloader. The recovery image has bear minimum to get box staring. You can select which image/partition to boot into. Or even Android for boxes that have that. You can flash an image from it using USB or from the interweb.

Occasionally, you may need to flash the recovery image by USB. No need to do it unless you are being advised to do it. Installing images into the other partitions was the best thing to do. Well done.

A universal LNB to fit Mk4 Sky dishes 4 is only £16 from Screwfix if you want to swap it over.

Title
    Thanks
    This is what confused me and led me down the path easy peasy
    " I reconnected the satellite feeds to the old Sky box, and all seemed fine; channels where expected, I also attempted adding extra channels using frequencies from Astra2e list (high/low, H&V), all as expected. I
    checked installer settings, and confirmed the LNB was set up as "Standard" (Low band 9.750GHz, High Band 10.600GHz)."

I would need to see a pic of the lnb to be sure its not a wideband one and the Sky HD box looks a lot different from a Q box.
    It will be interesting if it all works with a new lnb but box may have issues from the outset.

And this is a good learning curve even for me

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,956 Times in 3,276 Posts
    Have you changed the LNB yet?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Apologies, been away for a couple of days, thanks for replies..

Sorry, maybe I should not have used bootloader as that conflicts with bootloader. The recovery image has bear minimum to get box staring. You can select which image/partition to boot into. Or even Android for boxes that have that. You can flash an image from it using USB or from the interweb.

Occasionally, you may need to flash the recovery image by USB. No need to do it unless you are being advised to do it. Installing images into the other partitions was the best thing to do. Well done.
    Thanks for confirmation.. 👍

A universal LNB to fit Mk4 Sky dishes 4 is only £16 from Screwfix if you want to swap it over.
    Good point - I see similar price on Amazon too.. 👍

This is what confused me and led me down the path easy peasy
    " I reconnected the satellite feeds to the old Sky box, and all seemed fine; channels where expected, I also attempted adding extra channels using frequencies from Astra2e list (high/low, H&V), all as expected. I
    checked installer settings, and confirmed the LNB was set up as "Standard" (Low band 9.750GHz, High Band 10.600GHz)."
    You can imagine my confusion with no experience of an Enigma box, hoping I was following instructions correctly, and not seeing what I expected..! 😂😂
    This was the Sky box config (showing "STANDARD" and expected frequencies for Hi/Lo bands; it shows no signal because was not connected when I took the pic):-
    Sky Setup-LNB.jpg

I would need to see a pic of the lnb to be sure its not a wideband one and the Sky HD box looks a lot different from a Q box.
    My Sky box is Sky+HD 1TB, definitely not Q (had it since 2011)

It will be interesting if it all works with a new lnb but box may have issues from the outset.

And this is a good learning curve even for me
    Me too! 😂😂 Going to see if I can find someone with a suitable sky dish/LNB that I can test before replacing LNB (if it's not faulty I'd prefer not to disturb it as it's been in place for so long)..

Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    Have you changed the LNB yet?
    As above - not yet, going to try testing with another dish first..

Title
    Thanks
    But you said you' ve connected the sky hd box and got channels!! Now i have a sky hd box and if I wanted to test that the lnb was getting a signal i would do this SERVICES arrow across to spanner, settings appears arrow down to picture , arrow across to signal and pause now you will see onscreen input 1 ss, sq and same for input 2, if you have a signal you will see 2 white bars and a lock indicator. if these do not appear then lnb is either duff or dish has moved or cabling is wonky.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmitie; 11-03-24 at 23:15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast