Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Will the new Freely affect how OpenTV works?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Will the new Freely affect how OpenTV works?

I've just read this article about Freely and wondered how this will affect how our EPG will work when it replaces Freeview and Freesat. I assume Freesat will continue for some time, but I guess it's days are numbered.

It says "The new TV guide will cater for terrestrial, satellite and IP-delivered channels, so viewers can benefit from much more choice".

Any thoughts?
    VU+ Duo 4K SE

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,276 Posts
    OpenTV is for Sky UK, not Freesat/Freeview.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

deltec (11-01-24)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecaretaker View Post
    I've just read this article about Freely and wondered how this will affect how our EPG will work when it replaces Freeview and Freesat. I assume Freesat will continue for some time, but I guess it's days are numbered.

It says "The new TV guide will cater for terrestrial, satellite and IP-delivered channels, so viewers can benefit from much more choice".

Any thoughts?
    From reading the article you linked it would appear that this "Freely" service is in addition to the existing Freeview/Freesat services and is not compatible with current TV/commercial box firmware as regards EPG capture. Don't think the existing EPG services will disappear anytime soon.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    From reading the article you linked it would appear that this "Freely" service is in addition to the existing Freeview/Freesat services and is not compatible with current TV/commercial box firmware as regards EPG capture. Don't think the existing EPG services will disappear anytime soon.
    Possibly too many TVs that will never be updated with new firmware for the existing EPG mechanism to be dropped. TV manufacturers tend to abandon additional software/firmware updates after a few years after a model goes on sale.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    Possibly too many TVs that will never be updated with new firmware for the existing EPG mechanism to be dropped. TV manufacturers tend to abandon additional software/firmware updates after a few years after a model goes on sale.
    I agree - there have been several tactical errors in the rollout of digital TV in the UK, starting with DVB-T/T2 for SD/HD services, requiring early adopters to change hardware. More recently, the migration off SD transponders on satellite (e.g. to HD-only services on ITV and BBC) is leaving some viewers with a requirement to change receivers again. I'm just wondering whether this EPG overhaul will actually happen? Our (OpenVix) users are probably best positioned to be able to use the new EPG, though
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    OpenTV is for Sky UK, not Freesat/Freeview.
    That's true I guess. But even Sky are leaning towards dropping satellite broadcasts in favor of online streaming.
    VU+ Duo 4K SE