Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running multiple oscams on OpenViX

Title
    Thanks

Running multiple oscams on OpenViX

I would like to run at least 2 oscam instances on my stb, but the first problem is, i have no idea how to change config files location for each instance, i thought it is just a matter of adding the bins, then adding in init.d file called softcam.oscam-whatever, changing the location of config files in there, and then enabling oscam with my remote and it would just run, but its not, could anyone tell me what else to do, and what i am doing wrong?

Title
    Thanks
    Simply create your other set of oscam configs (ie minimum oscam.server and oscam.conf) in a sub-directory "extra" off var/etc/tuxbox/config ie var/etc/tuxbox/config/extra.
    Then create an alternative softcam.oscam2 script based upon softcam.oscam-latest or softcam.oscam
    This should have references to the extra subdirectory when running your oscam in the new script like this:-

/usr/bin/oscam --wait 60 --config-dir /etc/tuxbox/config/extra --daemon --pidfile /tmp/oscam.pid --restart 2 --utf8

save it into var/etc/init.d . Give this file attribute 755.
    You should then see after reboot the new script in softcam setup in menu.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to johnhoe For This Useful Post:

Szelest (13-11-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoe View Post
    Simply create your other set of oscam configs (ie minimum oscam.server and oscam.conf) in a sub-directory "extra" off var/etc/tuxbox/config ie var/etc/tuxbox/config/extra.
    Then create an alternative softcam.oscam2 script based upon softcam.oscam-latest or softcam.oscam
    This should have references to the extra subdirectory when running your oscam in the new script like this:-

/usr/bin/oscam --wait 60 --config-dir /etc/tuxbox/config/extra --daemon --pidfile /tmp/oscam.pid --restart 2 --utf8

save it into var/etc/init.d . Give this file attribute 755.
    You should then see after reboot the new script in softcam setup in menu.
    https://github.com/s3n0/e2scripts/blob/master/softcam i used this, cause i wasnt sure how to add the lines u said to the file softcam.oscam* and actually make it work, it has a different directory for oscam, and it worked when i used original oscam-latest bin + my new oscam bin, but then when i replaced (kept the same name) oscam-latest, to a different bin, the oscam-latest no longer works, or should i say, it seems like its working in gui, but seems like it switched its config directory to the other oscam im running, so both bins for some reason, are using the config directory from the github script?
    Last edited by Szelest; 13-11-23 at 13:11.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Szelest View Post
    https://github.com/s3n0/e2scripts/blob/master/softcam i used this, cause i wasnt sure how to add the lines u said to the file softcam.oscam* and actually make it work, it has a different directory for oscam, and it worked when i used original oscam-latest bin + my new oscam bin, but then when i replaced (kept the same name) oscam-latest, to a different bin, the oscam-latest no longer works, or should i say, it seems like its working in gui, but seems like it switched its config directory to the other oscam im running, so both bins for some reason, are using the config directory from the github script?
    OpenViX oscam softcams will when installed create the basic files using the oscam suffix such as oscam-latest, so for example in the case you have a script installed in /etc/init.d ---> softcam.oscam-stable , a config file /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam-stable and a binary fiile in usr/softcam NOT /usr/bin.

So if you go to Menu/setup there are 2 methods --- I would suggest you use Softcam Script not SoftcamManager.
    So to add a new Oscam ... copy the bin file to /usr/softcam as e.g. oscam-fred and set file permissions to 755. Copy an installed script to your PC, rename it to whatever the Oscam is called e.g. oscam-fred and copy back to /etc/init.d set the file permissions to 755, create a config in /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam-fred

Go to menu/setup/softcam script and select the script file oscam-fred ... and everything should start

As above OpenViX softcams go in /usr/softcams....and the scripts expect the bin file to be there
    Last edited by twol; 13-11-23 at 14:23.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Szelest (13-11-23)

Title
    Thanks
    it is exactly same as above, the oscam-latest is using the others oscam config directory, instead of the default one, and again, it works perfectly on the original oscam-latest, but when i replace the bin (again without changing the name) this problem occurs

Title
    Thanks
    Let me just sum it up so theres no misunderstanding, if i install fresh oscam-latest from the feed, it uses /etc/tuxbox/config directory, for the config,
    then im adding oscam-whatever and using the linked script (ofc edited the directory of the bin and name etc), and start it, both oscams work from thier own default config directories, for latest its above, and for whatever its /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam
    but as soon as i replace oscam-latest bin file, with the one bin i need and rename it to oscam-latest, set permission, restart the box, suddenly oscam-latest now is using oscam-whatever config files from /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam instead of its own default config directory

i dont know how to make my own starting script, and when i tried to edit the oscam-latest script, to change the config directory (or based on this, create another one for the other oscam bin, with different directories), it just doesnt do anything

Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam-stable
    so i actually installed oscam-latest, and oscam-stable few hours ago, on fresh system, and both bins use /etc/tuxbox/config as the default directory for config, not the folder named as the bin, theres a config in /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam-latest, but the bin doesnt use it at all i always thought its just an example for ppl who dont know how to set up thier oscams, so they can copy these files to /etc/tuxbox/config and start oscam and keep working from there.

Code:
    Unix starttime: 1699888921
    Starttime:      13.11.2023 15:22:01
    Version:        oscam-1.20_svn-r11725
    Compiler:       arm-oe-linux-gnueabi
    Box type:       H9Twin (generic)
    PID:            2385
    TempDir:        /tmp/.oscam
    GBox tmp_dir:   not defined using: /tmp/.oscam
    ConfigDir:      /etc/tuxbox/config/
    WebifPort:      83
    theres fresh installation of oscam-latest not using /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam-latest for config directory
    Last edited by Szelest; 13-11-23 at 16:23.

Title
    Thanks
    Let me just sum it up so theres no misunderstanding, if i install fresh oscam-latest from the feed, it uses /etc/tuxbox/config directory, for the config,
    then im adding oscam-whatever and using the linked script (ofc edited the directory of the bin and name etc), and start it, both oscams work from thier own default config directories, for latest its above, and for whatever its /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam
    but as soon as i replace oscam-latest bin file, with the one bin i need and rename it to oscam-latest, set permission, restart the box, suddenly oscam-latest now is using oscam-whatever config files from /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam instead of its own default config directory

i dont know how to make my own starting script, and when i tried to edit the oscam-latest script, to change the config directory (or based on this, create another one for the other oscam bin, with different directories), it just doesnt do anything

so i actually installed oscam-latest, and oscam-stable few hours ago, on fresh system, and both bins use /etc/tuxbox/config as the default directory for config, not the folder named as the bin, theres a config in /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam-latest, but the bin doesnt use it at all i always thought its just an example for ppl who dont know how to set up thier oscams, so they can copy these files to /etc/tuxbox/config and start oscam and keep working from there.

Code:
    Unix starttime: 1699888921
    Starttime:      13.11.2023 15:22:01
    Version:        oscam-1.20_svn-r11725
    Compiler:       arm-oe-linux-gnueabi
    Box type:       H9Twin (generic)
    PID:            2385
    TempDir:        /tmp/.oscam
    GBox tmp_dir:   not defined using: /tmp/.oscam
    ConfigDir:      /etc/tuxbox/config/
    WebifPort:      83
    theres fresh installation of oscam-latest not using /etc/tuxbox/config/oscam-latest for config directory
    how are you starting the softcams??
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Szelest (13-11-23)

Title
    Thanks
    that fresh oscam-latest without anything else, from the remote from softcam menu or w/e its called, i tried both script and menu and both give the exactly the same results
    its just, the oscams dont use the config locations from softcam.oscam-latest, -stable or whatever, it seems to me like the bins ignore that script configuration, and using the default config directory, that was selected during compilation.
    Last edited by Szelest; 13-11-23 at 16:53.

Title
    Thanks
    that fresh oscam-latest without anything else, from the remote from softcam menu or w/e its called, i tried both script and menu and both give the exactly the same results
    its just, the oscams dont use the config locations from softcam.oscam-latest, -stable or whatever, it seems to me like the bins ignore that script configuration, and using the default config directory, that was selected during compilation.
    softcammanager starts from config, softcam script uses whatever is in the script name, so that from softcam.oscam-stable it will start oscam-stable
    this from the standard default installed script......where $CAM in this example would be oscam-stable
    So check whats in the script sounds like you are using the one you installed from above link

PIDFILE=/var/tmp/${CAM}.pid
    DESC="Softcam service $CAM"
    DAEMON=/usr/softcams/$CAM

case "$1" in
    start)
    if [ -e $PIDFILE ]; then
    PIDDIR=/proc/$(cat $PIDFILE)
    if [ -d ${PIDDIR} ] && [[ $(readlink -f ${PIDDIR}/exe) == $DAEMON ]]; then
    echo "$DESC already started; not starting."
    exit 1
    else
    rm -f $PIDFILE
    fi
    fi
    echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
    ulimit -s 1024
    $DAEMON --config-dir /etc/tuxbox/config/$CAM --daemon --pidfile $PIDFILE --restart 2 --utf8 2| grep -v "UTF-8 mode"
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Szelest (13-11-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    softcammanager starts from config, softcam script uses whatever is in the script name, so that from softcam.oscam-stable it will start oscam-stable
    this from the standard default installed script......where $CAM in this example would be oscam-stable
    So check whats in the script sounds like you are using the one you installed from above link

PIDFILE=/var/tmp/${CAM}.pid
    DESC="Softcam service $CAM"
    DAEMON=/usr/softcams/$CAM

case "$1" in
    start)
    if [ -e $PIDFILE ]; then
    PIDDIR=/proc/$(cat $PIDFILE)
    if [ -d ${PIDDIR} ] && [[ $(readlink -f ${PIDDIR}/exe) == $DAEMON ]]; then
    echo "$DESC already started; not starting."
    exit 1
    else
    rm -f $PIDFILE
    fi
    fi
    echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
    ulimit -s 1024
    $DAEMON --config-dir /etc/tuxbox/config/$CAM --daemon --pidfile $PIDFILE --restart 2 --utf8 2| grep -v "UTF-8 mode"
    its exactly that, i put it on fresh system to just prove my point, literally installed fresh, updated feeds, installed oscam and thats the result
    so you are saying, i have to run all the oscam instances from the script for it to work properly? i thought softcam manager is for that to work properly, at least for the default bin from feed, this is confusing
    Last edited by Szelest; 13-11-23 at 17:11.

Title
    Thanks
    its exactly that, i put it on fresh system to just prove my point, literally installed fresh, updated feeds, installed oscam and thats the result
    so you are saying, i have to run all the oscam instances from the script for it to work properly? i thought softcam manager is for that to work properly, at least for the default bin from feed, this is confusing
    Softcammanager doesn,t use scripts and uses a config if defined from /etc/tuxbox/config, but you can select an oscam binary installed in /usr/softcam
    Because so many images now use scripts and users can have more than one oscam installed, support for scripts was added to openvix via softcam script.….for testing purposes I have currently 4 scriots installed to test various things.
    To run different versions, its easier to use the scripts from softcam script, rather than some manual method
    Last edited by twol; 13-11-23 at 19:42.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Szelest (13-11-23)

Title
    Thanks
    nvm i found the command, thanks!
    Last edited by Szelest; 13-11-23 at 20:40.

Title
    Thanks
    Ok cant edit the message, so i found a command to run both oscams, but after restart, it doesnt autostart, so how do i exactly make it autostart after boot, restart if crashed, and run both at the same time?

Title
    Thanks
    You can't run "both oscams". Only one oscam at a time...
    "I would like to run at least 2 oscam instances"
    Do you mean two servers?
    Last edited by johnhoe; 13-11-23 at 22:27.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I switched from using oscam-latest to using oscam-stable some time ago after finding oscam-latest had problems at one point.

At least for my usage case*, oscam-stable has worked perfectly for many months. I think it is since OpenVIX 6.1, maybe 6.0, but I could be wrong.

* using an expired white Sky UK card to allow watching the one remaining FTV channel on Sky UK.
    Last edited by BrianG61UK; 13-11-23 at 22:59.
    Zgemma H7S, Fixed 28.2°E dish, Freeview (Hannington). ABM Providers: [Sky UK; Thames Valley SD Custom; HD swap], [Freeview (UK); Berks and North Hants]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast