Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for streaming client box

Title
    Thanks

Advice for streaming client box

I'm not sure what the correct terminology is, so I will describe what I want to achieve in the hope I can get some pointers:

Currently we are using the DLNA client app on an old Sony TV to stream recorded programs (only) from a Mut@nt PVR. The Sony TV firmware is quite old and it will not play 1080p videos over DLNA from the Mut@nt, unless I transcode them first to AC3 audio. At the same time I also have to transcode the video to h264 and remux into a ts, otherwise the playback has repeated momentary audio glitches. This is quite tedious to do, requires planning in advance and is limited to recorded programs, not live TV transmissions (terrestrial TV reception is bad in the room where the Sony TV is located).

I am looking for a 'box' which will act as a streaming client for the Mut@nt PVR, to stream both live TV and recorded programs from the Mut@nt to the Sony TV, up to 1080p resolution. It should have an HDMI port to connect to the Sony TV and 1Gbps ethernet. I do not need wireless capability, as the two locations are connected with wired ethernet. I also do not need a second PVR, just to use it as a streaming client. The client should be operated with a remote control and be able to pause and resume playback, rewind, etc. I thought of repurposing a PC and using OpenWebIf on it, but given the need to configure and maintain yet-another-PC-system, I would prefer the simplicity of a purpose built device.

Grateful for any suggestions,
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickkie View Post
    I'm not sure what the correct terminology is, so I will describe what I want to achieve in the hope I can get some pointers:

Currently we are using the DLNA client app on an old Sony TV to stream recorded programs (only) from a Mut@nt PVR. The Sony TV firmware is quite old and it will not play 1080p videos over DLNA from the Mut@nt, unless I transcode them first to AC3 audio. At the same time I also have to transcode the video to h264 and remux into a ts, otherwise the playback has repeated momentary audio glitches. This is quite tedious to do, requires planning in advance and is limited to recorded programs, not live TV transmissions (terrestrial TV reception is bad in the room where the Sony TV is located).

I am looking for a 'box' which will act as a streaming client for the Mut@nt PVR, to stream both live TV and recorded programs from the Mut@nt to the Sony TV, up to 1080p resolution. It should have an HDMI port to connect to the Sony TV and 1Gbps ethernet. I do not need wireless capability, as the two locations are connected with wired ethernet. I also do not need a second PVR, just to use it as a streaming client. The client should be operated with a remote control and be able to pause and resume playback, rewind, etc. I thought of repurposing a PC and using OpenWebIf on it, but given the need to configure and maintain yet-another-PC-system, I would prefer the simplicity of a purpose built device.

Grateful for any suggestions,
    I have a very small, Octagon sfx6008 ip that would do that (1080p max) in C/S mode. Has lan connection and hdmi out.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Mickkie (03-07-23)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks twol,

Does the Octagon sfx6008 allow the streaming of live TV from your PVR, besides playing video recordings?

I'm trying to understand what interface is presented on the TV driven by the Octagon sfx6008, or a modern equivalent model with a 1Gbps ethernet port. Will it mirror the Mut@nt interface?
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks twol,

Does the Octagon sfx6008 allow the streaming of live TV from your PVR, besides playing video recordings?

I'm trying to understand what interface is presented on the TV driven by the Octagon sfx6008, or a modern equivalent model with a 1Gbps ethernet port. Will it mirror the Mut@nt interface?
    I am assuming that the mutant pvr you mention is hd51 or ? ..running an enigma image?
    As long as teh above is true, then the Octagons setup as C/S (client server) in tuner settings and set to the IP address of your Mutant it will mirror the channels on the mutant and the remote will be similar to the mutant in controling teh Octagon and its menu‘s, channels, epg etc, Unless you share the HDD on the mutant you will have to add a usb stick to take recordings.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol
    I am assuming that the mutant pvr you mention is hd51 or ? ..running an enigma image?
    Yes, HD51 with Openvix E2.

Quote Originally Posted by twol
    As long as teh above is true, then the Octagons setup as C/S (client server) in tuner settings and set to the IP address of your Mutant it will mirror the channels on the mutant and the remote will be similar to the mutant in controling teh Octagon and its menu‘s, channels, epg etc, Unless you share the HDD on the mutant you will have to add a usb stick to take recordings.
    Thanks, I can enable DLNA on the Mut@nt, assuming Octagon or whichever I end up with has a DLNA client.

So, am I right I should be looking for one of these Android media streaming boxes, or is there some particular specification/capabilities I need to pay attention to; e.g. should they be running OpenVix too, capable of h264 video and AAC-HE audio codecs?
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, HD51 with Openvix E2.

Thanks, I can enable DLNA on the Mut@nt, assuming Octagon or whichever I end up with has a DLNA client.

So, am I right I should be looking for one of these Android media streaming boxes, or is there some particular specification/capabilities I need to pay attention to; e.g. should they be running OpenVix too, capable of h264 video and AAC-HE audio codecs?
    If you run with the Octagon, teh C/S package is a built in plugin that doesn,t need anything else except a lan between the 2 boxes - so,what you have in terms of services/channels on the Octagon is the same as the hd51
    Last edited by twol; 03-07-23 at 15:50.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    What protocol is the C/S setup using? Does it require E2 to be running in the client, or will something like Kodi on OSMC also work in this fashion?
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    What protocol is the C/S setup using? Does it require E2 to be running in the client, or will something like Kodi on OSMC also work in this fashion?
    Both boxes are running E2 with one as teh client and one (mutant) as server
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Just got a Octagon SX988 which came with DefineOS and OpenATV. I booted into OpenATV which had the GBIPboxClient already installed. After a quick scan it found the Mut@nt HD51 on my LAN and loaded the EPG from it, playing any channels I selected. So far so good.

The GBIPboxClient had an option for accessing the remote HDD and a note I needed to enable Samba on the remote system to be able to access the drive. I wasn't sure if I needed this - or what for - but I enabled it anyway.

I couldn't find any interface option or plugin to access recordings on the Mut@nt, so I installed the DLNA Browser plugin. I tried to use the DLNA Browser to find recordings on the Mut@nt, but only some of these were visible. Anyway, I tried playing some of the STD, 720p, and 1080p recordings I could see listed. The STD recordings freeze after 4 minutes or so. The HD recordings freeze within 3-5 seconds. :-(

Then I installed OpenVIX, which is what the Mut@nt is also running and tried:

1. Using the GBIPboxClient, or uninstalling it and using the OpenVIX native client - the latter wanted the passwd to access ftp on the Mut@nt. Why is ftp access needed on the server?

2. I also tried DLNA Browser, same result.

3. I installed VLC and tried it, but the box crashed when I tried to select the Mut@nt as the server.

I tried with and without Samba running (just in case), but did not make any difference.

I looked at the processes running on the Octagon in case it was running out of RAM or something was amiss. I found a load average of 16.04, with some 10% of CPU taken up by:

/usr/bin/libreader 720P_50

Isn't that a tad too high? In contrast the Mut@nt shows only 0.18, while recording or on playback.

Is there some setting I need to change, or another plugin to try? Playing back recordings remotely is one of the main reasons I bought this box.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Just got a Octagon SX988 which came with DefineOS and OpenATV. I booted into OpenATV which had the GBIPboxClient already installed. After a quick scan it found the Mut@nt HD51 on my LAN and loaded the EPG from it, playing any channels I selected. So far so good.

The GBIPboxClient had an option for accessing the remote HDD and a note I needed to enable Samba on the remote system to be able to access the drive. I wasn't sure if I needed this - or what for - but I enabled it anyway.

I couldn't find any interface option or plugin to access recordings on the Mut@nt, so I installed the DLNA Browser plugin. I tried to use the DLNA Browser to find recordings on the Mut@nt, but only some of these were visible. Anyway, I tried playing some of the STD, 720p, and 1080p recordings I could see listed. The STD recordings freeze after 4 minutes or so. The HD recordings freeze within 3-5 seconds. :-(

Then I installed OpenVIX, which is what the Mut@nt is also running and tried:

1. Using the GBIPboxClient, or uninstalling it and using the OpenVIX native client - the latter wanted the passwd to access ftp on the Mut@nt. Why is ftp access needed on the server?

2. I also tried DLNA Browser, same result.

3. I installed VLC and tried it, but the box crashed when I tried to select the Mut@nt as the server.

I tried with and without Samba running (just in case), but did not make any difference.

I looked at the processes running on the Octagon in case it was running out of RAM or something was amiss. I found a load average of 16.04, with some 10% of CPU taken up by:

/usr/bin/libreader 720P_50

Isn't that a tad too high? In contrast the Mut@nt shows only 0.18, while recording or on playback.

Is there some setting I need to change, or another plugin to try? Playing back recordings remotely is one of the main reasons I bought this box.
    Perhaps you can spell out just what you are trying to do with this box, play services from the HD51, play recordings from the hd51 or what?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    All new images one needs to setup a password on your box with remote control + write it down so you remember it.

Doing a network scan might pick up your box ip and does it open when you click on it and you see your hdd , click on that and mount it , if you need the password to go further enter that also.

Once everything is done and you exited out press your files button on remote and choose from which box ip you want to play from. Clicking on that should open up all recordings on that box to choose and play.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Perhaps you can spell out just what you are trying to do with this box, play services from the HD51, play recordings from the hd51 or what?
    I want to watch live TV on the SX988 and also to playback recordings. The TV transmission is received from the Mut@nt fine either by enabling the Client Mode in the tuner settings on the SX988 when running OpenVIX, or by using the GBIPboxClient plugin when running OpenATV.

I am not sure how I can stream recordings from the Mut@nt. I tried using DLNA, but the playback stalls soon after it starts and many of the recordings in the Mut@nt folders are not even listed on the SX988.

What services do I need to install/enable on the Mut@nt and what plugins do I need to install/configure on the SX988?
    Last edited by Mickkie; 22-10-23 at 11:12.
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    All new images one needs to setup a password on your box with remote control + write it down so you remember it.
    Already done over ssh.

Doing a network scan might pick up your box ip and does it open when you click on it and you see your hdd , click on that and mount it , if you need the password to go further enter that also.
    Is this an NFS mount, Samba, access over ftp or sftp, or something else? What service should I have enabled on the server and what plugin or menu item should I be using on the client?

Once everything is done and you exited out press your files button on remote and choose from which box ip you want to play from. Clicking on that should open up all recordings on that box to choose and play.
    The SX988 does not have a Files button. Only FAV, EPG and OPT. When I press OPT while running OpenVIX it crashes. :-(
    Kind regards,

Mick

Title
    Thanks
    Already done over ssh.

Is this an NFS mount, Samba, access over ftp or sftp, or something else? What service should I have enabled on the server and what plugin or menu item should I be using on the client?

The SX988 does not have a Files button. Only FAV, EPG and OPT. When I press OPT while running OpenVIX it crashes. :-(
    "The SX988 does not have a Files button. Only FAV, EPG and OPT. When I press OPT while running OpenVIX it crashes. :-( " ---- post the crash log
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Already done over ssh.

Menu/setup/user interface/button setup --- choose remote key like red button long press then select show Movies
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

cactikid (22-10-23),malcolmp (22-10-23),Mickkie (24-10-23)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast