Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Vix 5.1.006. Time wrong

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceRat View Post
    I already offered birdman to make the necessary changes to the recipe, so that OpenViX gets a synchronous NTP sync btw.

Some other possible optimization would be to have ntpdate-sync create/delete flagfiles that indicate success (or fail) of the sync.
    Currently E2 simply assumes that the call to ntpdate-sync is successful and the time WAS synced, but in reality it might as well fail and even if it succeeds, it only WILL (in the future) adjust the clock, relative to the time of calling it.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk
    Thanks, I appreciate the openness - I think that ongoing conversations are good, especially when they are open and everybody is aware of the issues and actions available
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Sure - thanks for the open comments.

It doesn't really matter if the time is synced one or ten times in a minute at start up providing it doesn't result in the time stepping forward into the future which will mess up all sorts of record/zap timers. What is a concern to me is that there are checks to see if the box has been brought up by a powertimer but these checks take place very early (about 23 seconds into the debug log) seemingly before there is a current time set. The time comparison is with the stored fake-hwclock.data which is (should be) always in the past, so the criterion for comparison with the stored powertimer wake-up always results in a fail, therefore the box stays in tuned mode (not standby as intended).

I don't know what the solution to this is but all I know is that the behaviour of my box is not as intended. The hardware setup (USB WiFi stick and router) has not changed but the start-up process has.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    The log entry shows this:
    One stepping, two slewings and several seconds in between.

It might look strange inside the syslog, but it works.
    No - it doesn't, as enigma2 start up with an incorrect time (in the past) and starts to run scheduling items with this incorrect time.

It's also very wrong for those who have multiple active interfaces.

If one wants to get rid of the multiple runs in short sequence, there is no other option as really making the ifup sync synchronous, but that would slow down boot for everybody.
    I'd be more than happy to wait an extra 2 or 3s for the time to be correct before enigma2 started, which is what Vix was always doing until your changes went in.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    I'd vote for an extra 3 seconds boot time if it meant a 100% reliable (and predictable) solution.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (23-01-18)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    No - it doesn't, as enigma2 start up with an incorrect time (in the past) and starts to run scheduling items with this incorrect time.

It's also very wrong for those who have multiple active interfaces.

I'd be more than happy to wait an extra 2 or 3s for the time to be correct before enigma2 started, which is what Vix was always doing until your changes went in.
    @birdman - if you have the time to code a foreground version of the initial time setup using ntpdate-sync I can test it extensively on my system and measure the delay on boot. The HD51 has a super-fast boot in any case as it takes no more than 35 seconds from completely powered off to initial channel tune. My GB Quad + takes about 90 seconds (IIRC) and the MB Twin takes forever...
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I'd vote for an extra 3 seconds boot time if it meant a 100% reliable (and predictable) solution.
    The problem is: It's far more ... more like 15 seconds, some users even observed 30 sec.
    Receiver/TV:
    • Vu+ Duo² 4*S2+2*C / 1.8TB HDD / OpenATV 6.1@Samsung 50" Plasma
    • AX Quadbox 2400 / 2*S2/2*C / 930GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1@Samsung 32" LCD
    • Vu+ Solo² / 465GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1
    • Vu+ Solo² / 230GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1
    • DVBSky S2-Twin-Tuner PCIe@Samsung SyncMaster T240HD (PC)
    Pay TV: Redlight Mega, Brazzers TV Europe, XXL, HD-, Sky
    Internet: Unitymedia 1play 100 / Cisco EPC3212 + Linksys WRT1900ACS + Fritz!Box 7390 / IPv4 (UM) + IPv6 (HE)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
    @birdman - if you have the time to code a foreground version of the initial time setup using ntpdate-sync I can test it extensively on my system and measure the delay on boot. The HD51 has a super-fast boot in any case as it takes no more than 35 seconds from completely powered off to initial channel tune. My GB Quad + takes about 90 seconds (IIRC) and the MB Twin takes forever...
    I posted one in this thread earlier, I think.
    However, since running it from a sysvinit script rather than ifup changes it I'm about to produce a new version.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (23-01-18)

Title
    Thanks
    The problem is: It's far more ... more like 15 seconds, some users even observed 30 sec.
    I've just timed ntpdate -q on some systems here. Given that most of the time is spent waiting for network responses the speed of the system shouldn't make much difference.
    They took 6.7s.

But, if that worries you then you could use ntpclient (from
    Code:
    http://doolittle.icarus.com/ntpclient/
    ) which will set the system time in 0.067s. Not as much checking as ntpdate, but good enough....

Title
    Thanks
    Then there is a coding issue inside E2 itself
    There is a variable m_time_ready somewhere and no time related checks should be done before it has been set <full stop>.

m_time_ready gets set by
    - the very first DVB sync (If the box is set to use DVB time)
    - the very first NTP sync done by E2 itself (If the box is set to use NTP time), with the quirk that it doesn't really check/wait for success, because m_time_ready gets set when ntpdate-sync gets started, not when ntpdate-sync really sets the time several seconds later.

Actually, it would help a lot if ntpdate-sync would maintain a flagfile, e.g. /tmp/time_synced so that E2 can really know if and when time has been NTP synced.
    This would also be pre-requisite to make time syncing try NTP first and fall back to DVB if NTP fails (once or multiple times).

As a side note:
    There is a known bug in some box drivers, which has been reported to the vendors, the HD51 is among the buggy ones.

On non-buggy boxes, the time from fake-hwclock is used for a very limited time span:
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root          22 Jan 14 13:48 S01fake-hwclock -> ../init.d/fake-hwclock
    lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root          21 Jan 14 13:48 S67stb-hwclock -> ../init.d/stb-hwclock
    So fake-hwclock gets used in runlevel S from level 1 to 67 (max) only.
    In level 67, the time from the front panel RTC (/proc/stb/fp/rtc) gets restored (Except when the box was fully powered off before), but most boxes will restore their RTC time even earlier, when their drivers load (level 5 or level 65).

Some box' drivers will not properly restore or report the FP RTC time though, but instead constantly report "0".

You can easily check yourself if your box is affected:
    Code:
    root@duo2 ~ # cat /proc/stb/fp/rtc
    root@quad4k ~ # cat /proc/stb/fp/rtc
    root@solo2 ~ # cat /proc/stb/fp/rtc
    root@sf4008 ~ # cat /proc/stb/fp/rtc
    None of the above is affected, they all have a proper time not later than in level 67 of runlevel S, far before E2 starts.

The driver big has been reported will hopefully be fixed ASAP.
    Receiver/TV:
    Internet: Unitymedia 1play 100 / Cisco EPC3212 + Linksys WRT1900ACS + Fritz!Box 7390 / IPv4 (UM) + IPv6 (HE)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    .... ET10K

root@et10000:~# cat /proc/stb/fp/rtc

(I use DVB time.)

Title
    Thanks
    But, if that worries you then you could use ntpclient which will set the system time in 0.067s. Not as much checking as ntpdate, but good enough....
    Or even less time...

Here I set the local clock to 10:00 (I've switched off the ntp daemon for the testing), wait 1s then run ntpclient. It sets the system time (correct to 1s comparing it visually with other systems and my radio-controlled clock) in <0.02s.
    Code:
    root@gmllaptop:/l......./ntpclient-2015# date 01231000; date; sleep 1; time ./ntpclient -h pool.ntp.org -c 1 -s; date
    Tue 23 Jan 10:00:00 GMT 2018
    Tue 23 Jan 10:00:00 GMT 2018
    43121 66876.701   29653.0      5.8     -68.3      0.0  28267889

real    0m0.019s
    user    0m0.000s
    sys     0m0.004s
    Tue 23 Jan 18:34:36 GMT 2018

Title
    Thanks
    I posted one in this thread earlier, I think.
    However, since running it from a sysvinit script rather than ifup changes it I'm about to produce a new version.
    Actually I would be fine with making it a SysVinit-Script ... it's also a system service unit in systemd.

Tiny problem though:
    It would need to start after networking and right after networking you can't be 100% sure networking is really fully up already (If networking doesn't get a DHCP reply within 3 seconds, it will background that, resulting in the very same problem).
    If you make it synchronous after networking but before dropbear and telnet get started, you might end with the machine becoming unreachable ... so you need to put it after dropbear and telnet.
    And actually SysVinit scripts are not supposed to be run synchronously (anymore). They only are run synchronously in yocto due to a yocto specific limitation (No support for boot concurrency) ... currently.

It would probably be much easier to let ntpdate-sync create the mentioned /tmp/ntp-synced flagfile and let E2 wait for that (rather then the pure ntpdate-sync call) in order to set m_time_ready = true.

Remember:
    We are discussing a problem that
    - occurs with boxes from one vendor only, because it's actually a bug inside the driver not allowing access to the FP RTC (Which E2 later also uses to monitor bad DVB syncs, so it's necessary anyways!).
    - applies to a non-default setting, I would guess that ~90% of users just keep the default setting of "DVB sync".
    Receiver/TV:

Title
    Thanks
    But, if that worries you then you could use ntpclient (from
    Code:
    http://doolittle.icarus.com/ntpclient/
    ) which will set the system time in 0.067s. Not as much checking as ntpdate, but good enough....
    However, ntpdate itself can be run with a -p1 option to only get one sample, and then takes 0.7 seconds on my et8000.

Code:
    root@et8000:~# time ntpdate -q -p 1 ntp.ubuntu.com 
    server 91.189.91.157, stratum 2, offset 0.000598, delay 0.11975
    server 91.189.94.4, stratum 2, offset 0.000928, delay 0.04651
    server 91.189.89.199, stratum 2, offset 0.001112, delay 0.04568
    server 91.189.89.198, stratum 2, offset 0.001159, delay 0.04585
    23 Jan 18:41:11 ntpdate[1397]: adjust time server 91.189.89.199 offset 0.001112 sec

real    0m0.740s
    user    0m0.010s
    sys     0m0.007s
    That should be good enough.

Title
    Thanks
    It would need to start after networking and right after networking you can't be 100% sure networking is really fully up already (If networking doesn't get a DHCP reply within 3 seconds, it will background that, resulting in the very same problem).
    So it could check that it has a route to the NTP server (which can be done without sending any packets - hopefully in python).

We are discussing a problem that
    - occurs with boxes from one vendor only, because it's actually a bug inside the driver not allowing access to the FP RTC
    Neither of my boxes has an RTC at all.

Title
    Thanks
    But, if that worries you then you could use ntpclient
    To annoy you even more:
    We will go from bad to worse.

Latest development in oe-a 4.2 has revealed another, much bigger problem:
    Some vendors advertise large flash sizes (up to 1024 MB), but actually for a lot of them you can only flash images with about 96MB in size, so with what's currently pre-loaded in most distros, just about any byte we add can render the image unflashable (via USB, online flash does work with larger images even on those boxes).

In addition, I got a new job lately, so I don't have 12h a day left for E2 anymore ...
    Receiver/TV:

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast