Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Can this Army skin really be copyright protected?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts

Can this Army skin really be copyright protected?

As the title Army skin really be copyright protected? http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...my-Gradient-HD
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    well that kind of defeats the whole purpose of a open source Linux based operating system dont it.
    if this is true however then i'm sorry but no amount of posts will change my opinion of these people.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    We can all create something and have it copy write protected for very little cost.

As for your comments pheonix I agree to a point but then if that was the case surely every plugin and emu should be open source but they are not and most never will be.

It would be nice is CCcam was open source but it never will be.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    We can all create something and have it copy write protected for very little cost.

As for your comments pheonix I agree to a point but then if that was the case surely every plugin and emu should be open source but they are not and most never will be.

So has this been legally copyrighted? Just curious.....Any whats the point now with the openblackhole project now dead?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    I can not say for sure on Army skins but I do know that Matrix skins are copyrighted of that I am 100% sure.

As for openblackhole it has just been suspended for now.
    Last edited by Donnie; 23-01-11 at 11:02. Reason: typo

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donnie For This Useful Post:

bassethound (23-01-11),Sicilian (23-01-11)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Sic copyright is not a legal thing you get in court

copy right is something that is a copy disput e occurs then both party's must proove that the 1 or other was first to make it and it belongs to them

for eg a photograph and the photographers name in the bottom corner with a date that so he can say its mine and on this day and time... when did the other guy take this where is his proof

now open linux and copyright
    well army can copy right his hard work yes but only yo the point of ppl not saying it is thiers but when i comes to editing it using on other images etc etc etc then open linux is open sourse so no its not copy right ever

hope that makes sence
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

8. The Following User Says Thank You to silverfox0786 For This Useful Post:

Donnie (23-01-11)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

that was not my point.
    for example, yes CCcam is not open source but it can be used on any Linux box and many non linux boxes for that matter, as well as pc based servers. for a skin maker however to say " this skin may not be used on any other image but the one i choose" well thats just not rite in my opinion.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    The other thing is... Surely, these are just based on original dreambox skins. In which case, they have to contain certain parts of the original skin. In which case, someone cannot say it's their own thing, and copy righted just for them?! For example, in the vix image ... if andy was to alter, for example, the webif, he does so, and keeps the gnu license in the file. However, anything he creates himself, e.g. the swap manager, device manager etc, that is his own work, and so it is copyrighted to him (altho it can be seen as he is working for the world-of-satellite forums, so in fact, wos owns the copyright to his work
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    I think if you look back far enough pooface you will see Matrix and Army are some of the original skinners long before E2 ever existed.
    The basic skin xml has to exist but the rest has to come from a creative mind.

Title
    Thanks
    I think if you look back far enough pooface you will see Matrix and Army are some of the original skinners long before E2 ever existed.
    The basic skin xml has to exist but the rest has to come from a creative mind.
    mate if skins were made long before e2 then they where made to work with other boxes now that those skins have been ported as you say to e2 the moment the port has been done the skin maker has agreed to abide by the public GNU that comes with linux and e2

its like me making skind for nokia phones then i had a htc and ported my skin now i have an iphone and ported once more now on each of the 3 occasions i used the relevent company development kit and had to abde by the GNU rules they set out even though the skin was my creation and was the same for all 3 phones

so no mate regardless of what the situation is an open linux software e2 than is and an open suorce skin and xml that is made by dreambox as i remember rightly will be under their public GNU and they decided they want to keep it open

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    I can not disagree with a lot of what you say but that said Army and MX skins are made for BH images only.
    VIX images are 100% creative and have there own style and we never see Army and MX skins for VIX images, if a creator says use and modify my skins great but if they ask that they are not butchered then where has common respect for a request gone these days?
    Sad but I guess that is the world we live in these days.

Title
    Thanks
    I can not disagree with a lot of what you say but that said Army and MX skins are made for BH images only.
    VIX images are 100% creative and have there own style and we never see Army and MX skins for VIX images, if a creator says use and modify my skins great but if they ask that they are not butchered then where has common respect for a request gone these days?
    Sad but I guess that is the world we live in these days.
    yes i agree about common respect and asking permission to change and modify it. but as you say this is the world we live in and it wont stop ppl butchering them and a statement like that will only make ppl do it out of spite now i wont mod skins personally although i know ihow to do it and always ask frst the original designer if he dont mind

but when ppl start claiming copyrights and saying dont do this dont do that to an open software that yes they initial design they created it just rubs ppl up the wrong way and provokes ppl to do it just to p them off back sort of thing