Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Sky q alternative

Title
    Thanks

Sky q alternative

I am locked into a contract until October so have to find a solution until then, i'll explain:

I am a radio ham and i get serious interference from my SKY Q box and have traced it to the powerline thats on board, you can switch it off on the engineers menu but it only switches off the facility, it still transmits and shows up as a mac address so not fully off.

I have talked to SKY and they dont fully understand it, however after pushing them in the SKY forum they acknowledge the issue and have asked me to email them the problem, I have and also enclosed an image from my panadapter scope.

I have done everything i can, have filtered the mains, ferrites on all mains leads, usb leads, antenna cable, you name it, ive done it.

Everytime i discuss it in their forum they close my thread.

Others have the same issue and it seems to swamp the 145mhz band making that band unusable.

If i remove the Sky Q TV box by switching it off it cures the issue, if i put it on standby its still there.

So i have isolated it to the Sky Q TV box.

My Humax freesat box does not have the issue but of course i dont have the channels.

What im wanting to know, is there an alternative box that i can use on demand etc with my Sky card?

After October i will just cancel my Sky subscription so its only till then

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g4jnw View Post
    I am locked into a contract until October so have to find a solution until then, i'll explain:

I am a radio ham and i get serious interference from my SKY Q box and have traced it to the powerline thats on board, you can switch it off on the engineers menu but it only switches off the facility, it still transmits and shows up as a mac address so not fully off.

I have talked to SKY and they dont fully understand it, however after pushing them in the SKY forum they acknowledge the issue and have asked me to email them the problem, I have and also enclosed an image from my panadapter scope.

I have done everything i can, have filtered the mains, ferrites on all mains leads, usb leads, antenna cable, you name it, ive done it.

Everytime i discuss it in their forum they close my thread.

Others have the same issue and it seems to swamp the 145mhz band making that band unusable.

If i remove the Sky Q TV box by switching it off it cures the issue, if i put it on standby its still there.

So i have isolated it to the Sky Q TV box.

My Humax freesat box does not have the issue but of course i dont have the channels.

What im wanting to know, is there an alternative box that i can use on demand etc with my Sky card?

After October i will just cancel my Sky subscription so its only till then
    Simple answer is no. We have slowly been losing our sky premium channels using our sky card in 3rd party receivers. No solution to press and I don't expect one either in the foreseeable future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    not sure if it might work or not ,would it be possible that your power feed is dirty causing issues?

Code:
    https://www.monsterproducts.com/Monster_GreenPower_HDP_850G_PowerCenter_2

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts

Sky q alternative

You could try pairing/using another Sky HD receiver, apart from the Thomson. Obviously need a universal LNB instead of wideband lnb.

Worth a try, but they may not do it as you are hiring the Sky Q.

Would Ofcom be interested in the interference issue?

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,956 Times in 3,276 Posts
    First thing you need to know is, is it just your Sky Q box that is dirty on 2m or is it all Sky Q boxes.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Have you contacted Sky?

There's a long thread over on their forums with an email address asking for people to get in touch with your issue:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sk...2495775/page/6

hank you for highlighting this issue. Sky takes any alleged issue concerning its products very seriously.

Sky is confident that the Sky Q products meet the essential requirements of the Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive and the Radio and Telecoms Terminal Equipment (RTTE) Directive and is compliant with the following harmonised standards: EN 55022/32, EN 301 489-1/17 and EN 50561-1 for Radiated and Conducted Emissions, and EN 300 328 and EN 301 893 for Effective use of the Radio Spectrum. We have carried out the required tests on all Sky Q products and these products also go through a strict continuing production quality control process.

We previously contacted the forum members who raised the concern in order to conduct some tests and investigate further, but received no response. We are happy to investigate any reports of interference that are brought to our attention, please contact us directly by emailing PR&SInsightTeam@sky.uk and leave your name, address and telephone details.
    Is that the address you've already emailed?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aido For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (13-06-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Sounds precarious if they are closing threads down.

Why would PR get involved? Surely it is for the technical department.