Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Slow internet

Title
    Thanks

Slow internet

Got my Technomate box box about 10 days ago and been playing around with it - no problems.

About 3 days I started having a few problems with my internet. 2 problems which may or may not be linked. Possibly not.

For info both my PC and Technomate use wired connections which go via a switch.

Firstly although I would have a white light on my (SKY) router showing internet was coming in - my wired and wireless connections would often cut out requiring a reboot of the router. Sky said if it keeps happening they would send me a new router.

Secondly, I also started having problems with my PC and the internet just being very laggy and slow. My ping went up to something like 250ms.

Now about 3 days ago I installed a plugin on my Technomate called XC PLUGIN - it actually crashes the box when it starts so I have never used it.

Thinking that the Technomate could be causing the problems I have unplugged it and lo and behold my internet (certainly from the PC) has gone back to normal - I just did a speedtest and get 10ms ping.

I appreciate there are a lot of variables here such as my router, my pc, my network wiring etc but is there anyway I can try and pin it down to my Technomate?

Is there any way I can see what data usage the box is doing to see if it is trying to constantly download/upload stuff?

I am not an expert in networking but even if the Technomate was uploading/downloading to the max all the time I am not sure it can actually cause any problems with my network in general. Could it be 'flooding' the switch or router and causing a problem?

If I could see data logs it would at least be a starter. I cannot see data usage at router level as Sky don't have that feature.

Any thoughts?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Using mgcamd?
    If so, you have a badly configured config file flooding your LAN.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

mo-uk (20-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts

Slow internet

Are you using mgcamd with logging enabled?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    If using Mgcamd, maybe a flakey config file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

mo-uk (20-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Looks like a unanimous diagnosis. There are my_cfg files on forum without the logging option enabled.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

mo-uk (20-04-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Cheers - yes I am using it.

Will have a look. I didn't realise a piece of equipment could have such an effect on the overall network.