Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freeview UK tuning failed fatal

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    If people want to use ABM and it does not work, they can upload a raw transport reading or the files from the other thread. I don't think it is too much difficult to scan the relevant frequencies (within Enigma2), or if unknown, use the Terrestrial scan plugin. They can run the plugin in the other thread to create the xml file, slight editing required. Or they can upload the lamedb file here and someone can do it for them..
    This highlights a very fundamental difference in approach between us. Perhaps because of my professional background (including defence systems for overseas customers), I see the ideal to be that the customers/users can do all the essential maintenance without any help from the developers. In this instance defining a list of up to eight channels (whose values are readily obtainable from sites such as https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/in...tter-frequency) is all that is needed to ensure you scan the right channels, don't get duplicates, and don't get services you can't receive, while allowing the developers to keep well out of the panic zone when the frequency shuffle starts. I think it is pertinent to note that my TVs manage to scan successfully without any inputs from either me or from the manufacturer, so why not OpenVix?

Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    I am presuming that after the changes, the PSB 1 frequencies will remain the same
    It never occurred to me that this would be the case, and it would certainly reduce my concerns dramatically. However I read https://ukfree.tv/article/1107052530...hedule_201720_ indicates that only COM7 & COM8 will use channel numbers > 48, and you can find plenty of examples of PSB1 using channels > 48 in the above database (a quick check of around 30 Txs found 10 with PSB1 on Ch>48, which is consistent with what one would expect from a random distribution). There would seem to be no incentive on OFCOM to keep PSB1 on the same frequencies as possible, as their dominant customers (the TVs) will not care. Where did you get your information from?

EMJB
    Xtrend Xt10000 with 3 Freeview tuners

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Freeview is not open-source and there are some elements that deviate from the DVB standards.

The frequencies are in groups to avoid clashes during a scan on normal TVs although some regions needs to scan individual frequencies. Enigma 2 does not honour the groupings. This applies to all images, not just Openvix.

There was some data on the ofcom site. Somebody went to the trouble of compiling these into a terrestrial.XML file, but that became too large as you stated earlier. The ofcom data has proven to be out of date and incorrect. The data on Brian Butterworth's site has proven to be more reliable. I note your previous comment, but have to disagree with you.

people can amend files themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12