Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quattro LNB how to identify outputs

Title
    Thanks

Quattro LNB how to identify outputs

Hello,

I had a satellite engineer in to install my dish and Quattro LNB. His work was very shoddy. Anyway to cut a long story short i bought a Satlink WS-6916 HD DVB-S+S2 Satellite Signal Meter to help me identify my four outputs (which go into my centauri multiswitch). I thought there would be some easy way of doing this but the meter for testing the polarity does not seem straight forward.

The wires on the dish are very high up and i would like to avoid going up the ladder if i can.

Anyone have any experience with this meter - and can it tell my 4 polarity's? H+ H- V+ V-

Thanks in advance.
    Dee...

Title
    Thanks
    if you can't get near the lnb or don't have a meter,................then just use a Receiver and see which channels you can get with each coax.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Probably a bit late, but far easier if the cables are colour coded -not only from the LNB (for a quattro and even quad important) but also from the multi-switch. I have had situations where the ports on the multiswitch can give different dB levels which may not be important for most people but critical for me
    Colour coded cabling is not that much more expensive (if at all) and means that you have no issue identifying where they are coming from and to

The only other way is to identify a service on each of the ports H/L frequency and vertical/horizontal (e.g. from King of Sat) and then setup the receiver to tune to each of the 4 chosen services in turn whilst connecting each incoming cable until you get a hit .... painful Then mark them!

When you get a hit leave connected as each incoming cable has only one designation eg High frequency and Vertical
    Last edited by twol; 16-11-16 at 12:52.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys - i was hoping this £100 meter would be of more use!
    I will look at trying to identify a service on each of the 4 outputs.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localmcmoo View Post
    Thanks Guys - i was hoping this £100 meter would be of more use!
    The meter is only of use if you know what you are looking at. When I look at 28E on my analyser I know straight away which sub-band I am looking at. But on a different satellite that I don't know I would still need to use the proceedure discribed by twol. And that is a 1000€ analyser.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Anyway to cut a long story short i bought a Satlink WS-6916 HD DVB-S+S2 Satellite Signal Meter to help me identify my four outputs (which go into my centauri multiswitch).
    Juts noticed that you have the emp-centauri multiswitch - If he installed a Pro then by setting the dip switches you could (in future) just use a Quad LNB - doesn,t solve the connection issue but worth noting - they are nice multiswitches
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    Thanks
    I installed the multiswitch a few years back. It is a pro however as it's mounted and i have no recollection of where i put the instructions guess i missed the boat on this option
    I did have an Octo LNB unaware that this would work with my multiswitch. So breathing new life into my satellite receiver i thought i'd get a new dish and LNB. When the installer had finished he had one of the quad outputs going into the terrestrial input for TV! I didn't spot this at the time - only after.
    I'll have another look at my switch to make sure the dips switches are set for a quattro and then try and identify a service for each of the 4 outputs.

Thanks!

Title
    Thanks
    I installed the multiswitch a few years back. It is a pro however as it's mounted and i have no recollection of where i put the instructions guess i missed the boat on this option
    I did have an Octo LNB unaware that this would work with my multiswitch. So breathing new life into my satellite receiver i thought i'd get a new dish and LNB. When the installer had finished he had one of the quad outputs going into the terrestrial input for TV! I didn't spot this at the time - only after.
    I'll have another look at my switch to make sure the dips switches are set for a quattro and then try and identify a service for each of the 4 outputs.

Thanks!
    If its been there a few years then probably worth changing the LNB anyway
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Ok so i thought this would be easy but i thought wrong - as usual!

I took one of the cables and plugged it into my satlink receiver. When i did the scan on 28.2 i was only expecting to see either the V Hi/V Lo/H Hi/H Lo however i was seeing lots of channels being picked up with a picture on the H AND V polarisation. Is this normal? If so then how would i differentiate?

I'm thinking this is normal and my understanding is not quite there...
    Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Dee...

Title
    Thanks
    You need to check both the LNB and the dip switches on the centauri .... sounds like there is a quad lnb on the end of the dish if you are picking up all signals ... the dip switch settings basically force the quads internal logic to output H or V only and Lo High frequency depending on which input they are connected ... so it would suggest he set the dip switches and you have a quad

Also mean if true that all 4 input cables provide all services and it doesn,t matter which order they are connected.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    I'm sure the LNB is a Quattro - its what i asked for and still have the box in the garden - Technomate TM-4Q
    I've attached a picture of the multiswitch i have at home. Mine looks ever so slightly different (this is the exact model of mine 5 in and 12 out powered multiswitch EMP-Centauri MS58PIU)

EMP.JPG

Mine is mounted however if you think there are dip switches on this device i can unmount and have a look.

When i was testing i was plugging the coax straight into the satlink - not going through the multiswitch. This way i should only be getting one polarity and i was hoping just one set of channels on this polarity - this is where i got lost as i got channels on V and H through the one cable. Would having the other coax still attached to the multiswitch effect the one cable i am testing do you think?
    Last edited by localmcmoo; 17-11-16 at 13:08.

Title
    Thanks
    So if yours is the same as the picture, you have the input cable potentiometers on top (round knobs) and on the side with the 4 input cables from the lnb you should have 4 small white dip switches .... if there and they are all in a line its set for quattro otherwise (if set correctly) for quad
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Twol - I cant remember seeing them. I will take an actual picture of mine tonight. Admittedly I cant get my head around to see but not a problem I will un-mount tonight.

All this would be for the multiswitch. I will try scanning one of the cables again when i have all the 4 outputs of the LNB unplugged from the multiswitch to see if that give me a different result.

Title
    Thanks
    Before detaching anything just mark them so you know where they were use a marker pen or perhaps coloured insulating tape.
    Even with coloured coax, I have to record everything so that I know where evrything goes at both ends -I have had to change both LNB,s and the multiswitch over the years.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hello,

I had a satellite engineer in to install my dish and Quattro LNB. His work was very shoddy. Anyway to cut a long story short i bought a Satlink WS-6916 HD DVB-S+S2 Satellite Signal Meter to help me identify my four outputs (which go into my centauri multiswitch). I thought there would be some easy way of doing this but the meter for testing the polarity does not seem straight forward.

The wires on the dish are very high up and i would like to avoid going up the ladder if i can.

Anyone have any experience with this meter - and can it tell my 4 polarity's? H+ H- V+ V-

Thanks in advance.
    Dee...
    Hi mate ,The standard cable colours for connecting a Quattro LNB are as follows:-

Horizontal-High = Yellow
    Vertical-High= Red
    Horizontal-Low = Green
    Vertical=Low = Black
    (Aerial = White or brown.)

regards Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast