Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tuner problem on build 4.2.005?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,899 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by satnut2 View Post
    The lnb is approx 3 years old , dish professionally installed , no issues with receiving channels from i.e 7e - 7w
    Would be interested to know if you can tune the signal to improve the SNR, but ........ I guess it is also possible that you are getting too good a signal on 28.2E and swamping the tuner, depends on LNB and cable run.
    Would explain why the others are OK (7E etc)
    The only way round would be to stick an attentuator on the cable and play, but obviously this is fine on a fixed dish but would mess up your other sats on a motorised.

Life can be real fun with sat dishes I started with a 1 metre dish on the roof and now look what I have stuck up on the garage roof bolted down and with heavy concrete slabs as extra weight
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    Would be interested to know if you can tune the signal to improve the SNR, but ........ I guess it is also possible that you are getting too good a signal on 28.2E and swamping the tuner, depends on LNB and cable run.
    Would explain why the others are OK (7E etc)
    The only way round would be to stick an attentuator on the cable and play, but obviously this is fine on a fixed dish but would mess up your other sats on a motorised.

Life can be real fun with sat dishes I started with a 1 metre dish on the roof and now look what I have stuck up on the garage roof bolted down and with heavy concrete slabs as extra weight
    Your Gibertini must be a beast ! my 1.2m looks big enough !

Interestingly I get better signal on 28.e on my Technomate box than the Xtrend , all down to the tuner sensitivity I suppose

Not had any further issues so far , currently monitoring

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satnut2 View Post
    Your Gibertini must be a beast ! my 1.2m looks big enough !

Interestingly I get better signal on 28.e on my Technomate box than the Xtrend , all down to the tuner sensitivity I suppose

Not had any further issues so far , currently monitoring
    You cannot compare snr figures between different receivers unfortunately ... its useful as a tuning guide but not much else
    I went 1 metre 1.25 1.5 and each time it looked huge, but after a week quickly got used to it
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

satnut2 (14-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Well today I ran in a 3rd feed from my fixed Sky dish and I'm still having issues with blocky picture when recording

Tuner A - Fixed 28.2E AGC = 81% SNR 62%

Tuner B - Fixed 28.2E AGC = 75% SNR 62%

Tuner C - Fixed 28.2E AGC = 91% SNR 62%

Tuner D - Motorised 1.2m set to 28.2E AGC = 80% SNR 52% ( Looped through from Technomate 5402 HD M3 )

With tuner D disabled , If I try and record with every tuner available as many programs as possible , all starts recording fine , the more channels I record on the same transponder I reach breaking point then selected channels break up which where previously Ok when not recording

I then manually delete each active recording 1 by 1 and the problem does not resolve itself until all recordings stop. Picture then goes back to normal

With Tuner D enabled I get the same issue , its as if all is well but if I try and add to many recordings the picture just starts going blocky

When I scroll through channels I can see on the onscreen program subtitles which tuner is providing the picture i.e A B C D , I'm getting blocky picture on selected channels across all tuner combinations. Its as if certain transponders are giving blocky picture.

I bought this quad tuner box so I can record across 4 tuners without issues , and so far I have been unsuccessful

I have tried changing the priorities of tuners for recording and normal viewing , still cant pin point the issue

I know my SNR values are on the low side , however I had no issues with picture on my Solo2 or recording on the twin tuner with the fixed dish feeds

Also I know you cant compare SNR values between receivers but I have very strong SNR 98% + on my Technomate Receiver on 28.2e

Can anyone recommend a Satellite meter I can use to try and Improve my SNR on my fixed dish ?

If I had alignment issues wouldn't I have blocky pictures when not recording ? Picture is rock solid across all tuners when not recording

The more I think about the problem I'm thinking there must be a bug somewhere

Can any other Xtrend users who have 4 DVS-S2 tuners confirm if they have had issues ?

Any other suggestions guys ? Do you think my SNR are the problem ?

I may take a video of the problem to highlight the issue
    Last edited by satnut2; 17-10-16 at 16:59.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,089 Posts
    How many recordings in total do you have running when the problems start showing?
    There is a limit on any box, a "breaking point" or "too many recordings" to use your phrases.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ccs For This Useful Post:

satnut2 (17-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    There are various apps on Android and Iphone that can connect to the receiver and display the current snr (some do both dB and %) .. then you can play to your hearts content watching the snr figure and adjusting the dish - but remember small (!) changes (I usually finger tap the dish up or down) plus of course the lnb skew (important for me, but shouldn,t be for you in the UK)
    The snr figure is relative, so can be used for tuning a receiver.

As we head towards Late evening, my figures always drop for the fta services, but even so at the moment my lounge ET8500 is at Snr 79% 9.6dB for BBC2HD and this is a REALLY difficult signal for me.

I currently have 3 dvb-s2 tuners on my "office" box and never had any issues.
    , but have to say your snr figures are really strange.
    Last edited by twol; 17-10-16 at 18:52.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

satnut2 (17-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    How many recordings in total do you have running when the problems start showing?
    There is a limit on any box, a "breaking point" or "too many recordings" to use your phrases.
    At the moment , I get issues with 1 or 2 recordings , Ive taken some vids of the problem tonight

Currently uploading , will post asap

Title
    Thanks
    So is the technomate fed from a different dish or how do you have them configured?
    Also some receivers don,,t show a valid snr figure,,but have no idea if technomate falls into that category
    Last edited by twol; 17-10-16 at 22:14.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

satnut2 (18-10-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    A Long Long time ago i swapped from a sly quad lnb to a Technomate Octo Gold Low Noise LNB, i fitted it to the dish, connected to it was 2 freesat TV's a solo2 a new duo2 and a Technomate Nano.
    If i was recording on the solo2 and duo2 and changing channels on the solo2/duo2 i would get lots of glitches and some times pixelation on the resulting recording.
    A deeper investigation, showed that turning on the freesat TV's and changing channels caused glitching on all the other connected devices except for the Technomate receiver, it never skipped a beat, never glitched, tried it on different connections incase the other feeds had shorts and it was perfect, all the others glitched and pixelated when tuning or recording on another.
    I replaced the LNB with a Zinwell (sly) octo lnb and everything was fine.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (18-10-16),satnut2 (18-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    For SKY dishes the SKY (Zinwell) LNBs work better as they are designed for the oval shape and focus pattern of the dish. "Normal" LNBs expect a conventional offset dish with a more circular focus.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe_90 For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (18-10-16),satnut2 (18-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    So is the technomate fed from a different dish or how do you have them configured?
    Also some receivers don,,t show a valid snr figure,,but have no idea if technomate falls into that category

Yes the Technomate is fed from the motorised dish , no issues whatsoever

If I disconnect the motorised dish from the Xtrend I still get the problem using 3 feeds from the Sky dish , I get the problem with 2 feeds from the Sky dish

To summarize

1 - Purchased brand new Xtrend Quad tuner 2 weeks ago and have had recording issues since day 1
    2 - Xtrend unit replaced a Solo2 Which was a twin tuner unit and worked flawlessly for 2 years + , the only reason I went with Xtrend was for more tuners
    3 - All Satellite dishes have not changed , I have unplugged the Solo and plugged in the Xtrend and had issues
    4 - If I had dish alignment issues , why does the blocky picture stop as soon as I stop recording ?
    5 - Please see video links below of the problem , can you please let me know if the videos dont play , any comments appreciated
    6 - Reluctant to start changing LNB's etc yet , my set up has worked fine prior to the Xtrend arriving , my tuner signals dont look that bad?

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Xtre...khk3p.mp4.html
    http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Xtre...bydzg.mp4.html

Thanks for all you responses so far guys , surely there is a bug somewhere ? or do you think I have a duff receiver ?

Should I raise an official support ticket ?
    Last edited by satnut2; 18-10-16 at 18:43.

Title
    Thanks
    1. your snr figures are poor and living in the UK , this should not happen.... until you sort this its difficult to say you have an issue
    I know you are reluctant to do any dish re-alignment, but really you should try this.
    2. set up the Xtrend with the 3 tuners and the 4th direct from the motor with the technomate looped thru from the Xtrend.... see what happens
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    1. your snr figures are poor and living in the UK , this should not happen.... until you sort this its difficult to say you have an issue
    I know you are reluctant to do any dish re-alignment, but really you should try this.
    2. set up the Xtrend with the 3 tuners and the 4th direct from the motor with the technomate looped thru from the Xtrend.... see what happens

Ok , I'll look at the SNR next , If the low SNR are the root cause of the problem I dont understand why this causes issues with recordings ? wouldnt I get blocky pictures anyway without recording ?

Whats the minimum SNR values should I be getting ? are yours 90?+
    Last edited by satnut2; 18-10-16 at 19:24.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,055 Times in 7,638 Posts
    I would do the following to test each tuner individually.

USE THE SAME COAX FEED FOR ALL TESTS.

Test with your fixed dish on Astra 28.2. Again I state the the exact same feed for all tests below.

1) Set each tuner to Simple > Single > Astra 28.2 > No. See attached screenshot.
    2) Run a Manual Single Satellite Scan on each tuner (see attached scan settings screenshot). Menu > Setup > Service Searching > Manual Scan > First select 'Tuner A' at top and set 'Type of Scan' to 'Single Satellite' > Press OK and run the scan. Scan should find approx 930 ish services.
    3) Run the above scan on ALL four tuners, EACH time using the same Coax feed. All tuner scans should find more or less the same amount of services.
    4) If all scans run ok on each tuner, test recording on each tuner.
    5) Start with Tuner A, connect the same feed to Tuner A. Zap to BBC One HD, press Record button > Select Add recording (enter recording duration), default is 5 and just press OK.
    6) Zap to BBC Two while the recording is happening, that will be two services being accessed at the same time on the same transponder. Allow the recording to complete.
    7) Once the recording is complete. Set Tuner A to not configured and move the coax feed to Tuner B.
    8) Zap to BBC One HD, press Record button > Select Add recording (enter recording duration), default is 5 and just press OK.
    9) Zap to BBC Two while the recording is happening, that will be two services being accessed at the same time on the same transponder. Allow the recording to complete.
    10) Once the recording is complete. Set Tuner B ALSO to not configured and move the coax feed to Tuner C.
    11) Zap to BBC One HD, press Record button > Select Add recording (enter recording duration), default is 5 and just press OK.
    12) Zap to BBC Two while the recording is happening, that will be two services being accessed at the same time on the same transponder. Allow the recording to complete.
    13) Once the recording is complete. Set Tuner C ALSO to not configured and move the coax feed to Tuner D.
    14) Zap to BBC One HD, press Record button > Select Add recording (enter recording duration), default is 5 and just press OK.
    15) Zap to BBC Two while the recording is happening, that will be two services being accessed at the same time on the same transponder. Allow the recording to complete.
    16) Finally check all four recordings.

Post back results. The above should give a clue if there's an issue with one of the tuner modules.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

satnut2 (18-10-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    I would do the following to test each tuner individually.

USE THE SAME COAX FEED FOR ALL TESTS.

Test with your fixed dish on Astra 28.2. Again I state the the exact same feed for all tests below.

1) Set each tuner to Simple > Single > Astra 28.2 > No. See attached screenshot.
    2) Run a Manual Single Satellite Scan on each tuner (see attached scan settings screenshot). Menu > Setup > Service Searching > Manual Scan > First select 'Tuner A' at top and set 'Type of Scan' to 'Single Satellite' > Press OK and run the scan. Scan should find 930 ish services.
    3) Run the above scan on ALL four tuners, EACH time using the same Coax feed. All tuner scans should find more or less the same amount of services.
    4) If all scans run ok on each tuner, test recording on each tuner.
    5) Start with Tuner A, connect the same feed to Tuner A. Zap to BBC One HD, press Record button > Select Add recording (enter recording duration), default is 5 and just press OK.
    6) Zap to BBC Two while the recording is happening, that will be two services being access at the same time on the same transponder. Allow the recording to complete.
    7) Once the recording is complete. Set Tuner A to not configured and move the coax feed to Tuner B.
    8) Zap to BBC One HD, press Record button > Select Add recording (enter recording duration), default is 5 and just press OK.
    9) Zap to BBC Two while the recording is happening, that will be two services being access at the same time on the same transponder. Allow the recording to complete.
    10) Once the recording is complete. Set Tuner B ALSO to not configured and move the coax feed to Tuner C.
    11) Zap to BBC One HD, press Record button > Select Add recording (enter recording duration), default is 5 and just press OK.
    12) Zap to BBC Two while the recording is happening, that will be two services being access at the same time on the same transponder. Allow the recording to complete.
    13) Once the recording is complete. Set Tuner C ALSO to not configured and move the coax feed to Tuner D.
    14) Zap to BBC One HD, press Record button > Select Add recording (enter recording duration), default is 5 and just press OK.
    15) Zap to BBC Two while the recording is happening, that will be two services being access at the same time on the same transponder. Allow the recording to complete.
    16) Finally check all four recordings.

Post back results. The above should give a clue if there's an issue with one of the tuner modules.
    Thanks for the info , will carry out test and will report back asap

23. The Following User Says Thank You to satnut2 For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (18-10-16)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast