Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Can't get 1 transponder on motorised setup

Title
    Thanks

Can't get 1 transponder on motorised setup

Just a random question that I'm trying to figure out after getting a motorised setup.

Basically I can't get one transponder - basically anything on 11112 H such as Cartoon Network just doesn't work with no signal strength at all - other transponders work.

I've tried adjusting the co-ordinates in the USALS settings when I have things set to simple and I can increase and reduce the strength of other transponders but I can't get Cartoon Network for love nor money.

Signal strength wise a lot of channels seem to show lower SNRs 0 usually in the 30-40% range for a lot of channels. I know these figures change from box to box though and in all fairness I never took any notice of these numbers on my old static dish so I don't know what's typical for the LX3. Channels above 30% ish seem to work ok most of the time. Some have 0 bitrate errors whereas others hit 10-50k yet still seem to work. From what I understand the BER should always be close to 0.

I have noticed that when pointing at 28.2e the dish appears to be rotated counter clockwise a fair bit more than other static dishes in the area but I didn't know if this is usual with a motorised setup.

Is this an alignment issue - I'm just a bit confused as I can't seem to dial this transponder in at all and I've managed to improve all other transponders but likewise it seems that to improve some kills others.

The FTA HD channels are all higher SNRs in the 60-70% range so are all stronger.

Just trying to work out if I'm battling an alignment issue or whether it could be something else at play.

If I try add channels on that transponder I get 0 channels found.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by aido; 29-07-16 at 17:33.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,965 Times in 3,281 Posts
    What is your location? And dish size?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry missed those bits - a 75cm Sky zome 2 dish was used along with a Technomate motor and a Sky quad LNB (maybe even octo but would need to take a closer look).

Location wise I'm near Ilkley Moor so not too far North - the co-ordinates are 53°54'24.9"N 1°45'26.4"W / 53.906902, -1.757325

I'd read that higher frequencies being unavailable could be water ingress although this is a new install done 3 or 4 weeks ago now.

I'm currently running 000.310 West and 050.767 North in the tuner config but still tweaking!

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,965 Times in 3,281 Posts
    If you need to tweak coordinates you should get the installer back to do the job properly.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huevos For This Useful Post:

aido (30-07-16),TK4|2|1 (30-07-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for that - just wanted to make sure I wasn't being awkward as they'd told me to tweak the coordinatesbut sounds like it needs fixing physically

Strange how it's just the one transponder which is why I was confused!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Have you tried manually tuning that transponder using 11111H?
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

Title
    Thanks
    Yes on both tuner A (built-in) and tuner C (add in card) but no joy unfortunately.

Tried it on the tv tuner too but nothing found on that transponder.

I have read today that the Samsung tuners aren't the best so maybe that's not helping here either

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    Just to update this thread - I just tried hooking up the cable into a Technomate Nano SE M2 I have here and that shows much higher SNR figures (60-70%) across the board with no bitrate errors.

Is this potentially the tuners in the LX3 going bad maybe?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,163 Times in 6,238 Posts
    you are using a sky dish with a sky lnb. they have skew built in whereas a motorised setup should not have any skew, dish tilts when motor moves. Have you taken steps to undo the inbuilt skew?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

aido (19-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    The guy who installed it did say that it had been modified but did not go into any details - do you mean physical changes please or is it something within the OpenVIX config somewhere that I can change please?

Is there a typical weak transponder that you guys use to set up a dish please? I've seen mention of Sony Cinema, CBS Action or Heart FM in certain threads but they are fine at 80% on the Technomate (and all work on the LX3 too).
    Last edited by aido; 04-08-16 at 14:29.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,163 Times in 6,238 Posts
    Physical change. On Sky LNB holders, there are lugs , LNB has slots/recesses.

TMs may have more sensitive tuners.
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 04-08-16 at 15:24. Reason: wrong way round

14. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

aido (04-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    I've decided to upgrade the parents dish to a motorised dish so I can get my head around all this properly myself and also picked up a cheap Konig satellite meter along with a TM-2600 M3 and other bits.

Being nosey I've hooked it up to my setup here and bizarrely I'm finding the strength of the channels that don't work is registering slightly higher than the ones that do work, and when I try and get Cartoon Network etc the signal goes higher than Channel 5 HD which is registering around 95-99% now. When I go through say the first five channels the signal meter seems to show lower readings when the box shows higher SNR and vice versa (ie the higher the Konig reading goes the lower the SNR on the LX3).

Would an attenuator help here maybe please? I'm just trying everything before trying to get the guy back as it's a long way for him.

I'm under the impression it's a standard Sky LNB looped through a TM-2600 (not sure of revision) so wasn't expecting too high gain.

Thanks in advance

..:: Edit ::..
    I've had a punt for a fiver and it should be here tomorrow so will see if it does anything
    Last edited by aido; 09-08-16 at 15:24.

Title
    Thanks
    Just a quick update to this one - the attenuator made no difference whatsoever to the channels that didn't work - you could at least physically see it reduce signal both in signal finder and on the meter but it didn't help with the channels that didn't work.

I didn't hear back from the installer so I've bought some big high ladders and I'll go up and take a look myself when they arrive next week - after reading the posts here and on many other sites about motorised setups I'm guessing the problem is that the LNB is not set at 0 so they forgot to deskew it for the motorised dish as you can physically see it's skewed as abu said above - at the time I didn't quite realise what that meant but upon further reading it makes sense now

Title
    Thanks
    Hello gents, I just wanted to say thanks to the three of you (@Huevos, @DaMacFunkin & @abu baniaz) for the comments to help me out - I've just been up the ladder which arrived yesterday and sure enough it was LNB skew.

The dish is up high (above the guttering on a three storey house) so I couldn't get a very close look but it the Sky LNB was set one twist away from the furthest left and I've found that by rotating it counter clockwise past where it wanted to stop I got the best signal on the channels I was missing.

I've gone from mid 40s to above 90% SNR on the majority of channels on 28.2e now which is a right bonus! It's potentially a placebo but channel zapping seems to happen quicker now too as a result.

The pole itself was bang on in terms of alignment and looks sturdy on the T & K brackets now I've been up there so I'm not sure if it was just an error or what on the day with the LNB skew but thanks again gents and I got there in the end.

I used the Krkadoni Android Signal meter while up the dish which responded really quickly while I was changing things - the latest version didn't seem to do anything on my Galaxy S6 but I found an older IPK which works perfectly

Definitely learnt a lot about how this stuff works and now just got the stepdad's to do - fat lads really can go up ladders
    Last edited by aido; 23-08-16 at 15:03.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to aido For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (23-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    I've just changed the latitude and longtitude too for USALS - I can now use the correct latitude but I've had to shift longtitude by a degree to get it bang on and I've read in the past this can be due to height etc - I'm in the moors so if that's right it definitely sounds plausible