Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: SSD drives

Title
    Thanks

SSD drives

Does the Mut@nt have drivers / ability to use SSD drives?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunhead_Man View Post
    Does the Mut@nt have drivers / ability to use SSD drives?
    Why would you need a SSD, or do just have spare SSD's floating around
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    I doubt there is any benefit in using one. It wont affect the boot-up time and any modern sata drive is fast enough for simultaneous recordings
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ronand For This Useful Post:

Nunhead_Man (05-02-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Just have a couple of spare SSD's floating around as you say - but if no improvement will not fiddle

And is 2TB the largest 2.5 SATA drive it will take?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    I think 2TB is max. of an internal 2.5´´ hard drives. I just bought an 4TB external drive with 2.5´´ but I did not find an internal one with more than 2TB.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi,
    I think 2TB is max. of an internal 2.5´´ hard drives.
    I's be surprised if Linux cared about the size - and you boot from the internal flash, so that BIOS won't worry either.
    It might affect the size of a partition, as an MS-DOS partition table can only handle 2TB ones. So you could just make multiple file-systems. Or use a GPT partiton table (assuming that is supported - parted is happy to create eone).
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunhead_Man View Post
    And is 2TB the largest 2.5 SATA drive it will take?
    Yes - a 2.5" drive is the largest physical size that receiver can take - and 2TB is the largest 2.5" drive currently available.

Hi,
    I think 2TB is max. of an internal 2.5´´ hard drives. I just bought an 4TB external drive with 2.5´´ but I did not find an internal one with more than 2TB.

ciao
    Those external 4TB external drives contain 2 x 2.5" 2TB drives configured in Raid-0

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    I's be surprised if Linux cared about the size
    Linux/E2 can handle 8TB 3.5 drives so Linux does not care. I meant you will not be able to purchase an internal 2.5 hdd >2TB at the moment.

ciao
    ---
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    I meant you will not be able to purchase an internal 2.5 hdd >2TB at the moment.
    Yes, sorry. I'd missed the bit about it being the maximum size of a specific physical size.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I think 2TB is max. of an internal 2.5´´ hard drives.
    Not any more. This SSD is a little bigger...cost unspecified

Code:
     http://www.computerworld.com/article/3040208/data-storage/samsung-ships-the-worlds-highest-capacity-ssd-with-15tb-of-storage.html?nsdr=true

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    you are right I forgot them. I think the versions are a bit thick so the STB should have a possibility to use 3.5´´ hdd.

Only $20.000 for a bit over 10Tb for an STB is not to much in my opinion:-)

ciao
    ---

Title
    Thanks
    I have used SSD in every box i have had for many years..I dont understand why people po po their use..
    There are many benefits to using SSD like no heat-no noise-no moving parts-and navigation speed etc is so much quicker unlike what other posters have said and the prices are way better now making it well worth the cost over standard hard drive...

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mann View Post
    There are many benefits to using SSD like no heat-no noise-no moving parts-and navigation speed etc is so much quicker
    The no-heat isn't quite correct.
    I now have one in an external 2.5" USB3 enclosure, and it does get noticeably warm when in use.
    Very fast, though.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by mann View Post
    I dont understand why people po po their use..
    the price is still quite high 2TB €600 compare to €80 (2.5´´). I do not hear my 2.5´´ and it is also cool.

I see not the big difference I have on my PC. I cannot understand why people are still booting their PC with an hdd because the benefits are extreme there.

ciao
    ---

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    I see not the big difference I have on my PC. I cannot understand why people are still booting their PC with an hdd because the benefits are extreme there.
    Yep, in total agreement makes a big improvement on a PC ... on my dualboot desktop PC have 2 SSD's - one for Win 10 and one for Ubuntu (lightning fast boot) - saved my bacon when one of the last win 10 Insider updates created a new win 10 partition - screwed my laptop (single disk) but was OK with the Desktop

..... but on my receivers consider it a waste of money when I have spare disks lying around
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K