Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Splitting signal with cat5 splitter to 2 TVs

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thank you all for putting up with my ignorance over the past while.

Quote Originally Posted by 2stein View Post
    isn't the linux pc working as a kind of router if the connection is setup as "shared with other computers"? in that case vu+ and raspi would get ip adresses via dhcp. and thru a network switch linux pc and raspi would be able to get streams from the vu+. (linux pc must be running though, when raspi is streaming)
    no?

I originally thought that the VU+ was setting its address (and the gateway address) for other devices to connect to.. acting as a server of sorts.
    I only realised yesterday that the linux PC , as you say, is acting like a router. The mistake was entering the IP and gateway addresses into the other devices rather than using dchp. This was connecting them to the PC rather than to the VU+.

So tonight I connected the Debian laptop , wired through, with the ipv4 connection set to "automatic" rather than "shared" which solved the problem. I now assume that "automatic" is equivalent to dchp.
    I then reset up Kodi on the raspi , wired,with the ipv4 connection set to dhcp to make the connection, with the VU+ ip address entered into the enigma 2 PVR client. This also worked

I can now stream the same, or even different, channels on the PC and the raspi (or laptop) .

I even switched off the PC after the connections were set up , and was still able to stream. Maybe it needs to be switched on to set up the connections in the first place, I dont know. I will experiment.

Anyway people, at least I have a working network. Thanks again for all your help.

The other option I have seems to be going down the router route. The lack of cabled internet coming into the house seems it might be a problem as any I have seen so far seem to want to use an WAN input and then ethernet or wireless output. I havent seen one with wireless input yet. That problem is for another day.

Title
    Thanks
    glad, it works.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Human 19 View Post
    I have a mobile broadband dongle and a wifi hotspot. I just tansfer the sim card between them depending on where I am around the house. It's not a big deal

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-...bile-wifi-r209
    Ah yes - someone mentioned Ireland earlier.

Well, one potential problem is that the the Wifi hotspot will have a DHCP server in it. But, on thinking about it, any system connecting to it will be using a Wifi interface, so there won't be any configuration conflict with an Ethernet interface.

And provided you would only use Wifi on the laptop for a connexion when outside of you house things might become a little simpler.

Then all you need to do is to configure the Ethernet interfaces on your laptop, LinuxPC and Vu+ to be on the same network. You don't want this to be the network that would be used by the Wifi hot-spot clients.

Also, since they are fixed and you won't be adding arbitrary clients you might as well just pick a private network address and give each system it's own address on it.

So something like:

Code:
    LinuxPC   192.168.7.1
    laptop    192.168.7.2
    Vu+       192.168.7.3
    Netmask   192.168.7.255
    You wont have any DNS servers.
    If you set the LinuxPC to share it's internet connexion then that (192.168.71) would be the router address to set for the Vu+ and RasPi. You could then also set the DNS server address to be the one that gets set for the dongle interface. However, if you have these set all of the time and the LinuxPC+dongle isn't always on then you might get a few pauses on the systems.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Don't get confused by previous nonsense & long winded posts tho. It's a simple solution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123