Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splitting signal with cat5 splitter to 2 TVs

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Splitting signal with cat5 splitter to 2 TVs

I have already connected the computer upstairs to the VU+ duo 2 downstairs, for streaming, via a cat5 cable from the ethernet port.
    I have also recently set up a raspberry pi 2B with Kodi and can stream from the box also. I want to put this pi2B in the kitchen.
    I bought a cat5 splitter to be inserted into the ethernet port of the VU+ , and plan to run the 2nd cable to the kitchen.
    Unfortunately, I can only connect to either device from 1 particular side of the splitter.

This is regardless of whether I have 1 or both devices connected at the same time. Even with my normal PC connection, if I move the cable to the other outlet of the splittter, it no longer connects.

Is this a problem with the splitter or something to do with the VU+?
    Thanks

EDIT: I should have posted this in the VU+ Duo2 thread. Hopefully it is still relevant here**
    Last edited by Human 19; 02-01-16 at 14:22. Reason: wrong thread?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You ain't going to achieve what you want with a splitter, you need an unmanned network switch.
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (02-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Get An 8 Port Gigabit Switch... They're Quite Cheap, And Everything Will Be Able To Connect To Everything...

Code:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS308-100UKS-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch/dp/B00AWM7PKO/ref=sr_1_72?ie=UTF8&qid=1451760188&sr=8-72&keywords=8+port+gigabit+switch

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pac2000 For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (08-01-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks guys.
    I went for this ,locally, for 29 Euro
    http://www.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/..._Datasheet.pdf
    Both devices connect but when both are connected at the same time , even if only 1 is actually streaming from the VU+ duo2, the stream just drops after about 10 seconds
    I had a look at bwm-ng on the linux PC which showed a constant streaming rate and then a cut-off

Am I missing something simple?
    After having a look around the net, I saw a comment that some switches from TP-link may not support multicasting.Could that be it? There is no mention either way on their products about multicasting.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Human 19 View Post
    After having a look around the net, I saw a comment that some switches from TP-link may not support multicasting.Could that be it? There is no mention either way on their products about multicasting.
    You aren't multi-casting, so that won't be an issue.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (09-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Am I missing something simple?
    I take it that you have configured the PC and the raspi with different IP addresses?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Sorry to ask what may be a stupid question. Are devices connected to the router/switch or directly to each other? Do they all have valid IP addreses?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    To both above... thanks for the replies.

I have the switch connected to the ethernet port of the vu+Duo2 and both the linux box and the raspi both connected to the vu+ box address via the switch.
    I just wanted to get them both set up just to receive the stream. I didnt configure either the pi or the PC with addresses.

ifconfig on thePC shows (connecting to the vu+)
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr ............
    inet addr:10.42.0.1 Bcast:10.42.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

I put these addresses in the raspi wired network configuration to also connect that to the vu+. (with the PC it is just set up as "shared to other computers" in the network manager settings.)

I hope this makes sense. Unfortunately I know sod-all about networking and got this set up through trial and error

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I really think you are making this more difficult than it needs to be, connect everything that is close enough to your router into your router making sure you have one empty LAN port, run a cable from your router LAN port to the switch, and then connect other devices to the switch. Set DCHP to on on all your devices and boot everything including switch and router in sequence. All should be assigned their own ip address automatically, you can then if you want turn off DCHP and set the devices to use their assigned ip statically.
    As for sharing and streaming that should just be as simple as setting up SMB shares from PC and SMB or NFS shares from the VU+.
    You don't need to share your PC connection if you have a router...
    VU+ Ultimo 4K 3TB, 1x Twin DVBS-2 FBC / 1x DVB-C FBC/ 1x Twin DVB-T2.
    VU+ Solo4k 2TB, 2xFBC-S2, 2xC/T2, 1x Sundtek .
    1m Motorised Single LNB Dish, 60cm Fixed Octo LNB Dish.
    Samsung 65HU8500 with SEK-3500, Denon AVR-X2200W 5.1.2.
    Oppo UDP-203
    Panasonic 55VT50.
    Zidoo X9S
    Amazon Fire TV 4k & Amazon Fire TV (SPMC sideloaded).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DaMacFunkin For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (09-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    The ip address on your pc 10.42.0.1 looks like it could be from your isp. Ideally your router should be issuing the addresses. Normally the range issued by a router is 192.168.0.1 or similar, have a look at all devices to ensure they all have similar addresses to ensure they are all on the same network.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mrmad1966 For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (09-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmad1966 View Post
    The ip address on your pc 10.42.0.1 looks like it could be from your isp. Ideally your router should be issuing the addresses. Normally the range issued by a router is 192.168.0.1 or similar, have a look at all devices to ensure they all have similar addresses to ensure they are all on the same network.

DaMacFunkin is spot on...
    To both above... thanks for the replies.

I have the switch connected to the ethernet port of the vu+Duo2 and both the linux box and the raspi both connected to the vu+ box address via the switch.
    I just wanted to get them both set up just to receive the stream. I didnt configure either the pi or the PC with addresses.

I put these addresses in the raspi wired network configuration to also connect that to the vu+. (with the PC it is just set up as "shared to other computers" in the network manager settings.)

I hope this makes sense. Unfortunately I know sod-all about networking and got this set up through trial and error

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrmad1966 For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (09-01-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmad1966 View Post
    The ip address on your pc 10.42.0.1 looks like it could be from your isp. Ideally your router should be issuing the addresses.
    There is no mention of a router anywhere - only a switch (which won't issue any IP addresses).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (09-01-16)

Title
    Thanks

Each device (or rather, each network interface) needs its own IP address - you can't just copy them from one device to another.

I hope this makes sense.
    In terms of describing your problem, it does. In terms of having a working network, it doesn't.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (09-01-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi guys,
    I dont have a router.
    Just an unmanaged switch I was recommended to buy in order to split the TV stream from the vu+ Duo2 to 2 computers:
    a linux box upstairs and a raspi in the kitchen.

I am not looking to include an internet connection in this setup. Just split the TV stream.

Edit: So I just ran the network setup again on the vu+ with dhcp enabled, while it was only connected to the linux PC, and while the PC was not connected to the internet.

Then I went into the adapter settings , got the new IP address, 10.42.0.65 , entered that into firefox to get the Open webif page.
    ifconfig on the PC now gives :
    inet 10.42.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.42.0.255

This PC is connected to the Vu+ under the IPV4 tab of the network settings manager as "shared with other computers" , so it doesnt look for an internet connection.
    Last edited by Human 19; 09-01-16 at 14:57. Reason: further info

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    You still need something to manage the IP addresses.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Human 19 (09-01-16)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast