Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some info required, please?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Some info required, please?

Which of these two VU+ receivers is the best?

The VU+= Duo, http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...llite-Receiver

Or this VU+ Solo 2, http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...llite-Receiver

I'm off to work now, I'll try and look in later on at work. Thanks in advance.

Title
    Thanks
    duo is the older "weaker" one.
    so, to me it's definitely the solo2.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    solo 2 the best box I've owned, easy to use, never lets you down, brill

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by 2stein View Post
    duo is the older "weaker" one.
    so, to me it's definitely the solo2.
    Thanks for the reply

I realise the Solo is the newer receiver but how is it weaker? I don't know much about these things.

Which receiver has the best processor, and most ram? I don't know enough to know which processor is the best, and I couldn't see how much ram the Duo has.

I don't have any interest in things like picture in , picture, just purely performance
    Last edited by Cosmic Truth; 10-12-15 at 14:45.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    Which receiver has the best processor, and most ram?
    yes, those are criteria.
    look here: http://vuplus.com/sub/sub0108.php
    the table at the bottom shows the data of all vus.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yes, those are criteria.
    look here: http://vuplus.com/sub/sub0108.php
    the table at the bottom shows the data of all vus.
    Thanks again mate. ,

I've heard VU+ receivers can be used for IPTV. Can either, or both, receivers be used for this? It's not something I'm planning on doing just now but it's good to have the option.

P.S. I take it I can use either receiver in a motorised set up?
    Last edited by Cosmic Truth; 10-12-15 at 16:00.

Title
    Thanks
    yes, both can do motorised dishes... not sure about iptv on the duo, the solo2 can.
    again: the duo is a last generation box with little memory and flash... so i wouldn't even consider buying such a box today.
    i had a duo years ago... and it became too slow for new applications like hbbtv, etc.
    Last edited by 2stein; 10-12-15 at 16:38.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yes, both can do motorised dishes... not sure about iptv on the duo, the solo2 can.
    again: the duo is a last generation box with little memory and flash... so i wouldn't even consider buying such a box today.
    i had a duo years ago... and it became too slow for new applications like hbbtv, etc.
    Thanks for the info mate. You've been a big help. I was going to get the Duo, but now I'm going to go for the Solo 2.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I didn't realise the VU+ DUO 2 had been out for a while. I saw WOS saying you can pre-order for shipping in January, so I assumed it was a new receiver just out.

I notice both receivers have the same processor, but the VU+DUO has twice the amount of RAM as the VU+ SOLO 2. Do you think it's worth spending the extra £79 for the extra gig of RAM?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    also the vu duo 2 has swapable tuners as the solo2 only has twin sat tuners,very nice bit of kit if you can get it.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    also the vu duo 2 has swapable tuners as the solo2 only has twin sat tuners,very nice bit of kit if you can get it.
    Does this mean if in future you wanted a cable receiver, you could put cable tuners in the Duo 2?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    it sure does and not having to buy a new receiver you buy tuners for your needs.

Title
    Thanks
    The Duo2 is a great machine i have both Duo`s the original Duo and the one after the Duo2. The Duo2 is a couple of years old now but is still a great machine

Title
    Thanks
    i had a duo, then a solo2, now a duo2. replaced the solo2 because of the limitation to 2 tuners. my duo2 now has 4. from a performance perspective there is not much difference between the 2.
    differences: duo2 has an integrated power supply, bigger chasssis, nice lcd display, and can house 3,5 inch disks. disadvantage: the new remote control wears out quickly. had to replace it after one year... got a solo2 remote control.
    so, if money is not an issue i'd go for the duo2.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i had a duo, then a solo2, now a duo2. replaced the solo2 because of the limitation to 2 tuners. my duo2 now has 4. from a performance perspective there is not much difference between the 2.
    differences: duo2 has an integrated power supply, bigger chasssis, nice lcd display, and can house 3,5 inch disks. disadvantage: the new remote control wears out quickly. had to replace it after one year... got a solo2 remote control.
    so, if money is not an issue i'd go for the duo2.
    Thanks again for the info.

Money is not an issue, though I don't care about LTD displays, or the size of the unit. I only really care about the performance of the unit.

I noticed the Duo 2 has more RAM. If this meant performed better, or would,last longer, I would be quite happy to pay the extra for the Duo 2, but if it's an extra £80 or so, for a bigger until, with a better display, and an integrated plug, I think I'd rather save the money. After all, I am Scottish!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast