Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Receiving some (but not all) satellite channels on 28.2e

Title
    Thanks

Receiving some (but not all) satellite channels on 28.2e

Hi guys,

I've just picked up a VU+ Zero from WOS and firstly I must say I am very impressed... Going from an Amiko Alien 2 which I love, the speed and responsiveness of the VU is far superior.

I have set up the box with autobouquets with everything working perfectly with my home satellite dish setup. I have plugged the same box into my dads dish and am unable to receive BBC, ITV, Channel4 among others. I can however receive many other freesat channels (e.g. PICK).

He had a previous box (Skybox) which was behaving the same, so we know it is an issue with the dish.

Can anyone shed any light on if this is a common problem or what piece of equipment it is likely to be? I am assuming the LNB could be broke? However my simple way of thinking tell me if I can receive some channels from the satellite with good signal, how can I not receive others?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jimmy

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    First thing to check is the dish alignment. If you can see the TV while working on the dish, you can use the signal finder within the service searching menu. Otherwise, there are apps for smartphones. Gently press on each end of the dish. If you see the signal quality increase, then you know which way the dish needs to move.

It could also be the skew of the LNB. There are markings on the LNB. Adjust without breaking the holder.

Presumably you have double checked the F-plugs are connected well.

If those don't improve anything, it could be the LNB or at worse, cable.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the speedy response abu!

I have checked the signal on a working channel with a signal meter and it is very strong, soon as I change to a non-working channel (bbc1) I get no reading through meter or on-screen menu.

Is the skew the 1-5 measurement on the LNB? If so I have changed this one by one with no change

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    As you suspect, LNB is most likely at fault.

thisntaht
    I had an issue like this not too long ago, I bought a new 80cm sat dish as my sky dish was rusted to bits and fell off the wall during a storm. When I was installing the new dish I was using a Smart Smartmeter S10, The problem is the last available update for that device from the manufacturer was in 2012 and a lot has changed since then with new satellites and transponders etc. (Many of which weren't on the meter itself).

I was getting good SNR, AGC and BER on some channels and others were completely at zero for all three.
    So I found one of the channels where there was 0-SNR 0-AGC and 0-BER, One of those channels happened to be RT HD on Astra 2G.
    I manually input those transponder details into the sat meter and tried alignment again and after a small adjustment the meter level went straight up.

I'm now getting 76% SNR, 84% AGC and 0% BER on the channels that were non existent and the one's that were watchable are now coming in at 91% SNR, 91% AGC and 0 BER, I also skewed the LNB a little to the left (So the wires connected to it were coming out towards the left of the dish as you look at it from the front)
    It was all down to an alignment issue and I’d say there’s a good possibility thats your issue too and not your equipment (Hopefully anyway).

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response thisntaht!

As I'm impatient I did a quick search on eBay to see if there were any local sellers to pick up a new LNB.

Found one a few minutes away (£5!), picked it up, replaced the old one and voila!

Just wished I tried this 2 weekends ago I would've saved 2 Saturdays!

Thanks again for all responses

7. The Following User Says Thank You to esm For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (06-12-15)

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,956 Times in 3,276 Posts
    Sounds like the LNB s stuck in hi-band.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!