Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Total newbie - like a rabbit caught in headlights

Title
    Thanks

Total newbie - like a rabbit caught in headlights

So I have started out on what appears to be a long and complex journey.

Having been a Sky subscriber for many years, and having a pension that's buying less each year I need to look to save a bit (she told me I need to do this). A neighbour has recently been looking to do the same but both of us have absolutely NO idea where or how to start - so this is my situation.

Can someone point me at a simple to understand website that will explain in basic terms what the requirements are to set off on this journey please?

Thanks - and sorry for the rambling intro - it's an age thing I think.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    What are you trying to achieve ..... What do you want to watch? TV ..... BBC/ITV(free to air, fta) or SKY (paid/card)... Films, or?
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

grajay (14-10-15)

Title
    Thanks
    As much of the Sky channels as I have now would be great but I am aware that a lot of them will not be available.

Obviously the free to air ones but I'd also like advice on what set top box will give me the same kind of facilities as I currently enjoy with the Sky HD box - ie record one channel or 2 whilst watching a previously recorded one, live pause, recording a series (if that's possible) etc. Maybe there's a website for noobs to have their hand held as they read through what appears to be a veritable minefield of technical stuff.

Thanks for replying.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I was in the exact same position as you a few months back. I jumped in and opted for VU+ solo2 with a 500gb hd and the Vix image installed, purchased from the sponsors. I now know more about the boxes and given the choice again would still opt for the same box.

After that plug it in, follow the wizard and away you go. You will then want to configure it more and play with it and that's where this excellent site and the accommodating people on it will guide through any problems. Just remember these boxes are not plug and play but if you enjoy a bit of a challenge and are open to learning new stuff, jump in. Having said that to get the basics up and running is very simple.
    VU+ Solo2 HDD Harmony 650 remote
    Mutant HD51 4K
    VU+ Zero
    Edision OS MINI

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,247 Posts
    Any of the E2 receivers with the required number of tuners for watching/recording will do what you have written ...... you can tailor the receiver to almost look like a Sky receiver if that's what you want, with the same channel numbering etc ... record one channel or 2 (or more) whilst watching a previously recorded one, live pause, recording a series - that's all basic stuff on these receivers.
    Hate to say it, but in reality the only way you will learn is by playing with a receiver and then reading the tutorials on this forum which will tell you how to initially set up the receiver and then add features.
    Without a Sky card you will be limited to the fta channels, with a Sky card currently limited to the SD channels that you pay for. .... but there other facilities that these receivers provide in accessing other channels across Europe.

I was in your shoes a few years back, and now I run my own image builds ... not that I am suggesting you do that

There are plenty of novices that join this forum every week, and most would appear to survive
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

7. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

mrtutz (02-02-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Willmoore
    I sort of picked up on the Vu+ box as being a contender. I just need to satisfy myself about their capability re recording etc.

And you've found my weakeness already with "Vix image". Off to do a spot of Googling now.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,126 Times in 1,752 Posts
    The OpenViX image will do everything you need. AutoBouquetsMaker (ABM) will take care of creating the channel list, be it Sky UK, Freesat etc, and you can schedule it to run/update daily. Then you have CrossEPG which is your 7 day guide, so tells you whats on in advance. Like ABM, you can schedule this to update daily so you are always 7 days up-to-date. You mentioned Pause Live TV like Sky, this is called Time shift on OpenViX, and lets you Rewind, Pause and Resume etc, just like Sky. Add Timers are one off recordings you can make. Add Auto Timers is like Sky's Series Link. And finally if you have 2 feeds coming into the house, this lets you do what Sky does now. You can record a channel n watch another. You can record 2 channels n watch a recording you have already done.
    OpenViX is a fantastic image, and the guys behind the scenes do a fantastic job in making this image, thriving to improve the user experience for guys like you and me n everyone who chooses to use ViX.
    And @Willmoore has a great receiver in the Vu+ Solo2, and it comes with a fantastic universal remote, by far the best remote I have ever used, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Ultimo 4K with 3TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 4K with 1TB HDD, Dual FBC (Sat) tuners, 1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuner
    Vu+ Solo 2 with 1TB HDD 'White Edition', 2x DVB-S2 tuners
    Mut@nt HD2400 with 1TB HDD, 4x DVB-S2 tuners
    Fixed 28.2E Technomate 65cm Mesh Satellite Dish with Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and Inverto Unicable Splitter
    Fixed 28.2E Sky Zone 1 45cm Satellite Dish with Octo LNB
    (All receivers installed with the latest Dev build)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Hazza For This Useful Post:

grajay (14-10-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for your encouraging words Andy. I must confess that I was at a total loss when I started this thread, but you kind people have sort of soothed my troubled brow (sort of)