Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Remote viewing

Title
    Thanks

Remote viewing

I have the vu player app for viewing my box content on my iPad. However, I work away from home, often outside the uk. Is there any hardware available so I can remote access my box from anywhere?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    You don't need any extra hardware the solo2 is capable of transcoding on the fly, you just need to setup a VPN and make sure your network is secured properly because you will be hacked otherwise.

I am not saying this to scare you but there is a ever growing scene of people who actively scan for open E2 receivers to steal access to their channels and worse.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Really? Any recommendations on making mine secure?

I have tried in hotels in the UK to access my box but never managed it.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    you first need to open ports on your home router to allow you to connect to the receiver from outside your home network, and thats where you need to be careful and security conscious as people are looking for those open ports. I cant go into and further details as I personally do not use this feature.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

snagsboson (05-10-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    A came across a chinese search engine a while back which deliberately scoured the web for satellite receivers/baby monitors/webcams. And yes surprise surprise a large number of the receivers found had no password or default password.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronand View Post
    A came across a chinese search engine a while back which deliberately scoured the web for satellite receivers/baby monitors/webcams. And yes surprise surprise a large number of the receivers found had no password or default password.
    To be honest locking down FTP / Telnet and the WebIF a username and password is pretty much useless Enigma2 was never designed with security in mind. Those who are looking for vulnerable E2 boxes are scanning for well known open ports associated with channel streaming / transcoding and those are not covered by the default login credentials, E2 currently has no native way of securing those ports once open.

The only sure fire way to properly secure a E2 box is to setup a VPN tunnel with SSH, any thing else is just asking to be hacked and your details either sold on or used in a channel sharing app online.

SIMPLES.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

ronand (05-10-15),snagsboson (05-10-15),snootyfox (15-10-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Great info. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into this a bit more before setting anything up.