Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: What would YOU recommend for me?

Title
    Thanks

What would YOU recommend for me?

As per my intro post....newbie so please take it easy it's my first post lol.

Current situation
    I have a bog standard cheap Ross satellite receiver single feed (two of these in fact).
    Tvs are all dumb, but receive Saorview via powered cats ears plugged into the TV.

What I'm looking for.
    Reliability - I don't need any headaches. Must be ultra reliable and proven make / model.
    Usability - for the kids and especially easy to use for my wife! Or I'll never hear the end of it!
    Customisation - something that's main steam and used en mass. Will mean more choice customising with flashing firmware etc (I think anyhow)

Q
    Saorview DVB-T Combo or not?
    Would it be better to have the receiver to serve up the Saorview? Or stick with the TV?
    I'm not sure if this would be a waste of money, or will it bring any advantages?
    One thing is that during some bad weather the signal may become fringe and I have to mess with the cats ears or even auto retune the TV. Doesn't happen to often though.
    So would the receiver be more forgiving if the signal becomes weak?

Dual sat or single receiver?
    I have a quad LNB but am only running 2 single lines to 2 separate rooms.
    So there's the opportunity to run a second line to the receiver *at a later date* (yep I'm lazy)

However I have no current interest to record, mostly watch what's on now or watch when something interesting is on eg footie.

Will I need 2 lines for HD picture in picture?

What do you recommend?
    I don't need all the bells and whistles but more middle of the road.
    I started out thinking technomate nano combo.
    However now I'm looking towards spending a little more and perhaps going for the VU+ Solo SE V2.

Again reliability, usability and popularity/customisation are important.

Thanks to anyone/everyone who takes time out to guide me through this initial step!

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    The TM 3T will give you 2 sats and also terestrial or cable on the same tuner.

Depends on your budget. Could also look at the xtrend 8k

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Cheers Stanman.

OF the two, which would you recommend, the VU+ Solo SE V2, or the Technomate 3T?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    If you need Satellite and Terrestrial you should look at the Xtrend ET8000 or ET100000.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    @cnull - just to mention, in case it's important to you - none of these receivers support MHEG5, which is what is used to provide the old "Aertel" replacement on digital. If you're not a big user of Aertel (same as Ceefax/Red Button news for our UK cousins ), then no biggie. You can always use the TV tuners for that in any case. I use a Quad Plus with two terrestrial and two satellite tuners as an integrated replacement for a separate Freesat DVR and Saorview tuner which we had been using for years. Works well, but there IS a learning curve. I get the occasional nag from her indoors about the added complexity, but it works well 98% of the time. You gain a lot of flexibility over dumb receivers, though.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks guys!
    @fat-tony yep the odd nag is what I'm trying to avoid!

Her good self just wants to point and click. She's just about gotten over the learning curve for having to change the input from Sat/hdmi to aerial for Saorview.... and now I'm about to throw all of that out the window!

MHEG5 shouldn't be an issue, thanks for pointing it out nonetheless.

How do the Xtrends fair? Are they reliable? Is there any issues with them that I should be aware of? eg some users report random freezing in some boxes (can't remember which but not Xtrend)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    No problems. You definitely need two DVB-S2 tuners, plus at least one DVB-T to cover most eventualities. If you don't have two DVB-T tuners, though, you'll be stuffed if you wish to record RTE1 or UTV Ireland at the same time as RTE2/TV3/TG4. Having a tuner feed to the TVs will cover you where you want to want on one multiplex and record on the other, though.

I would suggest you get rid of the amplified set-top aerial (aka rabbit's/cat's ears), though. If you can you should really install an aerial in the attic and run a cable down to the receiver and TVs. A cheapo contract aerial will do if you are mounting it indoors.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers