Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The death of enigma2?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

The death of enigma2?

As the years roll by things have definitely changed. Myself am a vu duo vix enigma2 freak. Now I won't say I monitor technology on a daily basis but I do keep an eye on things. One of my first frustrations with enigma2 boxes was the huge price differential between single tuner and dual tuner boxes. So you spent your time searching and in the end you might get a dual tuner box for 5 quid less than the norm. However it would take you a lifetime to find the bargain.

So not much point in that. The next problem with enigma2 boxes is, for example, if you run vix then you need this cccam if you run black hole you need that cccam if you run pli you need the other cccam. And that's just one stupid plugin. It continues on until your head is wrecked. When asking questions within a forum one of the first questions is associated with loaded skins or plugins.

Its ludicrous. Take the wetek box which has a dual sat tuner and then android/openelec/kodi embedded. No problems with plugin comparability (it all comes from Google store where all apps are verified). As I see it there is no future for enigma2 boxes and maybe vix designers should keep that in mind

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Genuine Broadcom powered e2 receivers are far from dead. IMO there is currently no other stable OS that can be used as a day to day pvr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    There is a reality. Your TV will quickly be outdated, your TV box will become outdated (my old genuine duo wouldn't have the internal memory or CPU speeds to run the most current images). This is typical and what you expect from any technology. So we all suffer and accept this.

What does not need to be accepted is all the software incompatabilities between different software systems. We are heading to an era of android over iOS. Its a matter of embracing these software systems and being the first to develop the necessary apps rather than continuing with enigma2. Most ordinary folks don't want the hassle of searching for a plugin based on software build. Who cares about software build. They just want an app that they know works without searching the internet for the difference between this cccam and that cccam. There should only be one.

I know that, in the past, was an argument that all this stuff was for folks with an interest in mucking about. That day is done.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    They just want an app that they know works without searching the internet for the difference between this cccam and that cccam. There should only be one.
    And what do we have now with Andriod Apps? Apps that were working get a minor tweak and then fail to work, often after the user has allowed the phone/tablet to auto update. The OS changing on a regular basis and the App is no longer supported and/or older versions of the App that may work on equipment 6 months old can no longer be found.

The Engima 2 boxes will ONLY appeal to a small minority of users. Most PVR/TV box users just want to buy equipment and it will work out-of-the-box without having to upgrade software or fiddle with hundreds of settings. They will also want it to work with what their countries broadcaster is transmitting and would expect as standard (in the UK) all the functionality of existing Sky/Virgin/Freeview/Youview/Freesat branded boxes. Give them a hundred fancy skins and 99.9% of them will use the default skin that it came with, even if the default has light grey text on a light blue background.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I agree totally. Enigma2 boxes have a limited playground. Is that not a worry. If I want to upgrade my enigma2 box its a total pain in the ass. If its android I just need to be internet connected and click update. None of this Zeus, Helios, hades stuff. Who cares?

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fintannl View Post
    None of this Zeus, Helios, hades stuff. Who cares?
    No.. Your totally wrong..

you have Kodi / XBMC / SPMC

13.2 , 13.3 , 14.0 , 14.1 , 14.2 , and now 15.0 released in beta..

Some apps work really well in on most kodi builds.. and they dont work at all on 14.2 ..

So you argument does not stand up at all..

Apps / Plugins are updated on a daily basis.. and sometimes they are a pain in the ass to get them to update..

Its defo not a replacement for E2.. But as far as OnDemand goes.. Its the dogs shinny bits..

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Take the point. It feckin annoys my head messing with enigma2 stuff. God, but I've done it for years. I'm feckin old and getting older with all this muck. All I'm trying to say is I want to click and play. Enigma2 is a right pain in the arse. Hope ye enigma2 feckers keep that in mind

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    All I'm trying to say is I want to click and play. Enigma2 is a right pain in the arse. Hope ye enigma2 feckers keep that in mind
    E2 is click & play once set-up.
    It's up to you if you want to update & use new features or add plugins that may cause issues.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Take the point. It feckin annoys my head messing with enigma2 stuff. God, but I've done it for years. I'm feckin old and getting older with all this muck. All I'm trying to say is I want to click and play. Enigma2 is a right pain in the arse. Hope ye enigma2 feckers keep that in mind
    Keep posting with language like that you'll be banned permenantly.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    As the years roll by things have definitely changed. Myself am a vu duo vix enigma2 freak. Now I won't say I monitor technology on a daily basis but I do keep an eye on things. One of my first frustrations with enigma2 boxes was the huge price differential between single tuner and dual tuner boxes. So you spent your time searching and in the end you might get a dual tuner box for 5 quid less than the norm. However it would take you a lifetime to find the bargain.

So not much point in that. The next problem with enigma2 boxes is, for example, if you run vix then you need this cccam if you run black hole you need that cccam if you run pli you need the other cccam. And that's just one stupid plugin. It continues on until your head is wrecked. When asking questions within a forum one of the first questions is associated with loaded skins or plugins.

Its ludicrous. Take the wetek box which has a dual sat tuner and then android/openelec/kodi embedded. No problems with plugin comparability (it all comes from Google store where all apps are verified). As I see it there is no future for enigma2 boxes and maybe vix designers should keep that in mind
    I can se your point but there is stb with pvr function out their that are not E2 that a capable of running cccam , tm and spider box to name a couple that I know of , but even these need a software update , I have a vu duo and android m8 , the android still needs the respsiratory to update or a manual fix to work around it , I don't think its the end of E2 at all , I think it may be the end of cccam to say as the ecm are getting better .
    Vu + Duo , 1.5tb hard drive installed , 1.2 channel master dish , 1224 jagger motor , alsat g box , quad lmb prime focus , diablo cam 2.3 , diablo wi-fi cam, te-rex cam, dragon cam, cas 3 , technomate 6900 super stb , manhattan stb

Title
    Thanks
    A friendly advice to you! Get rid of your E2 box,call a provider that covers your area and enjoy watching TV using crappy hardware! You don't have to worry about updates,plugins or any kind of features
    GigaBlue HD800UE OPENVIX HELIOS
    Xpeed LX2 HDF

Title
    Thanks
    I don't consider myself technically minded, but when I look back from the D2Mac days, it has all been "FUN",...... sure, when I got an Enigma2 box I said bad words to the box and my laptop, but it has been fun. So I will enjoy my Solo2 on Hades and whatever comes next,....bring it on, it is a hobby.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Be happy that there are differences between the images fro different image builders. There wouldn't be much point in making several ones, if they were all the same, would it?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

tappari (29-06-15),widar (29-06-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Its horses for courses. But I cant see enigma2 dying any time soon due the the excellent development work and support. Android has its own problems. If upgrading a receiver is too much for you then a provider's stb is maybe the answer.
    Zgemma H7S running OpenVIX 6.2, Darkmotor, Triax TD110 dish, Inverto Black Ultra dual lnb
    LG 50UM7450 4K TV, Pioneer VSX-534 Atmos AVR , Panasonic UB820 region free 4K Bluray & a PS4.

Title
    Thanks
    i like my e2 duo2... but it's boring ;-)
    so, i'd like to see an android box with an e2 app for watching tv and the capability to install android apps from the store.
    i think on the newest sony tvs they already run android with the capability to install (selected?) apps.
    e2 is in saturation... rock solid (most of the time) but no new features coming anymore... well kodi plugin, yes.
    i'd like to have a real browser on the box with all flash etc. features. and i don't think that i will get this on e2. opera is kind of crippled and will probably stay that way.

p.s. maybe the solo 4k with it's arm processor would be a good start for new ANDROID VIX development stream.
    Last edited by 2stein; 29-06-15 at 11:37.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast