Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to group recordings into directories?

Title
    Thanks

Is there a way to group recordings into directories?

Hi,

Is there a way to group your similar recordings into different/individual directories automatically like sly does?
    i.e. if I record multiple "The Big Bang Theory" can they automatically group into a "The Big Bang Theory" directory?

This is all on an internal HDD if that makes a difference?

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    create a directory for BBT, make this directory to a bookmark and then you can select this bookmark as destination for timer or auto timer.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

widar (24-03-15)

Title
    Thanks
    Just to further clarify what trial has posted:

When in your default media directory (showing the contents of 'hdd/media/movie' unless you have changed the recording location) press 'Menu', this gives you various directory choices, including 'create directory'. Select that and press OK or green button. This will bring up the virtual keyboard. Blue button toggles upper/lower case and symbols. Once you have created your directory name i.e. BIG BANG THEORY, select the OK box at the bottom of the virtual keyboard to save and exit.
    BTW, you can 'nest' directories within directories; that is create folders within folders - just remember to be IN a directory that you want to create sub-directories in before pressing the Menu button.
    When setting up your timers, press the green button as usual, arrow down the Timer Setup screen to 'Location' and press OK. You will then be in the Select Location screen with previously used locations shown at the bottom as bookmarks. Your Big Bang Theory directory should be visible in the upper window - press the 'Channel Up' button to toggle to that window, then navigate to your BBT folder - press the GREEN button.
    You will then be back at your timer setup - check you have everything set correctly, especially 'Repeat type' and 'Repeats' settings, then GREEN button to save and exit!
    Hope this helps!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Piranha For This Useful Post:

davers1875 (31-03-15),widar (24-03-15),yorkshirepudding (21-03-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Is this the only way to do it? It seems that there is still a manual aspect to this (which is fine for me but not others in
    my household) and it is not automatically done like on a sly box.

Perhaps a future improvement in the next image???

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You can do for autotimer

Having saw this thread yesterday, I did same thing for OH so removed existing timers and amended autotimer so for now onwards Corrie will be put into it's own directory.

Will find out tonight if it's worked.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Try using tags, radio button by default when in movie list.

Title
    Thanks
    tags seem to be a searching item rather than an organising item

Title
    Thanks
    Guys I have done the same in creating a Directory and all, but am still finding recordings outside of the directory. What could be wrong?

And as whatsat said, could this be a future improvement for Vix Images to automatically create a Series Link folder like Sly?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsat View Post
    tags seem to be a searching item rather than an organising item
    Yes, it is a search function.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenyan View Post
    Guys I have done the same in creating a Directory and all, but am still finding recordings outside of the directory. What could be wrong?
    You're not setting them all properly to record to the created directory?
    And as whatsat said, could this be a future improvement for Vix Images to automatically create a Series Link folder like Sly?
    Probably better & easier to work on an improved tags function, rather than create folders for each new recording.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Not a direct answer to your question....Have you tried to sort the recordings?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Pretty sure SKY don't create new 'folders' for recordings, just have a better sort by tag function.
    Sky invest millions for obvious reasons, so easier to work for them.
    Same feature/function any E2 box requires a lot more time.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    That wouldn't be an improvement for me, as I put several series into one directory.
    But then I do have recordings going into different directories, so it does work. You must be doing something wrong somewhere. I'd recommend sorting that out.

btw, when you say "creating a Directory", did you also make it a Location/Bookmark and set the auto-timer to use it?
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    That wouldn't be an improvement for me, as I put several series into one directory.
    But then I do have recordings going into different directories, so it does work. You must be doing something wrong somewhere. I'd recommend sorting that out.

btw, when you say "creating a Directory", did you also make it a Location/Bookmark and set the auto-timer to use it?
    Tags with a more obvious button press & better fiename recognition is the way to go.
    No need to FTP & create directorys.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I noticed you can't remove directory by just highlighting it and clicking on delete (red button) or via menu. It doesn't do nothing.

I removed it via telnet.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbbuk View Post
    I noticed you can't remove directory by just highlighting it and clicking on delete (red button) or via menu.
    I'd noticed that too, but forgotten about it (it's not a frequent task).
    When I get around to sorting bookmarks I may have a quick look to see whether empty ones could be made to disappear...unless someone else does so first.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast