Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Unplugging Box at night.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Unplugging Box at night.

As a serving firefighter I have always and encouraged others to turn off at the socket or unplug altogether all unnecessary electrical items at night. Is that harming my box , shortening it's lifespan or lessening it's functionality in any way? I have any updates such as auto boquets or crossepg set to run during the mornings.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    in my home cinema I use a switch for most devices, inc. VU stb, for >10 years now without a problem. But as it is some kind of computer it could come to software problems if you use a switch at the wrong time.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

afterburn (31-10-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by afterburn View Post
    As a serving firefighter I have always and encouraged others to turn off at the socket or unplug altogether all unnecessary electrical items at night. Is that harming my box , shortening it's lifespan or lessening it's functionality in any way? I have any updates such as auto boquets or crossepg set to run during the mornings.
    Statistically, there is probably a greater likely-hood of electronic equipment failing when the power is switched on from cold but the risk is extremely low that your equipment will fail before that of someone who leaves it on (in standby) 24/7. Because of the nature of the equipment it's one item that is usually left plugged in and running 24/7 because its designed to record at any time, even when you are not at home.

Unplugging equipment from the mains every night may be the wrong advice. Repeatedly removing mains plugs from the sockets will cause wear resulting in higher resistance contacts and hotter running plugs and sockets and/or sparking/burning.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

afterburn (31-10-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yes I can see where you are coming from. The advice we were instructed to give was to turn off or unplug from the sockets all electrical items that were not designed to remain plugged in overnight eg fridges, freezers or video recorders. I suppose this needs to be updated to include set top boxes and other Pvrs.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    But as it is some kind of computer it could come to software problems if you use a switch at the wrong time.
    Meaning you have to shut down the STB properly before disconnecting the mains.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

afterburn (01-11-14)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Providing you properly shut the receiver down first, by placing it into deep standby first, you should have no real issues removing the power each night. Most of my receivers remain powered down until I need them for testing etc. although my main ones do stay powered on 24/7.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

afterburn (01-11-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Meaning you have to shut down the STB properly before disconnecting the mains.
    If switching off at the mains every night it's probably worth making sure that the box isn't (user) configured to write to flash memory on a regular basis (EPG auto storing for instance). Killing the mains power while the box is writing to flash could result is some unexpected behaviour the next time the box is switched on. It's not a problem if the box is shut down correctly first.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

afterburn (01-11-14)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    If switching off at the mains every night it's probably worth making sure that the box isn't (user) configured to write to flash memory on a regular basis (EPG auto storing for instance). Killing the mains power while the box is writing to flash could result is some unexpected behaviour the next time the box is switched on. It's not a problem if the box is shut down correctly first.
    That's why you should only remove the power while the receiver is in deep standby as its effectively powered down already.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by afterburn View Post
    I suppose this needs to be updated to include set top boxes and other Pvrs.
    It's actually the advice on physically removing the plug on ANY appliance, that I question. The risk of fire is more likely in a worn socket than in the equipment itself.

Although a lot better these days - how many equipments sold in the UK still come with 13 Amp fuses in the plugs rather than the more appropriate lower rating of, say 3 Amps.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

afterburn (01-11-14)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    As all boxes use 0.5W (max) when in deep sleep, I prefer the auto deep sleep option (powertimer).
    And as a side effect one can't forget to shut the box(es) down.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Leaving the box on standby may have its benefits. The heat generated in this way may actually dissipate the humidity that may otherwise damage the circuit board or its components through corrosion.