Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vu+ duo 2 vs solo 2, New box required.

Title
    Thanks

Vu+ duo 2 vs solo 2, New box required.

With christmas fast approaching I think its time for a new box, currently running a tm-twin which is a good box but would like to have something new to play with. What is the speed difference between the solo 2 and duo 2? I think both box's look nice and I don't think I need the 3rd tuner option on the duo as I don't even use the second tuner on the twin but what I am after is the speed as the box's are mainly used with tsmedia. What's the duo 2's speed like against the 3t from tm? The tm maybe out as I don't like the look of the 3t, The giga blue is a nice looking box but never really looked at that box.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you need transcoding and extra tuners go for the DUO², if not the Solo² will be just fine
    The newer TM's are good and cheaper
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

Title
    Thanks
    The solo2 has been out a while now though I wanted something very new to play with, its a play with box not really a watching box. I also like the look of the new dreambox 7080 but thats nearly £500.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Dreamboxes are over priced and overrated

Solo² might not be exactly new but doesn't lack in features
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Dreamboxes are over priced and overrated

And pretty much closed source these days too.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Actually quite like dreambox's I have an orginal dm800 that I have just given to my son in his bedroom to use tsmedia, also have tm800, tm9100, and tm-twin but I like the styling of the duo 2 with the colourful screen. I've book marked the sponsors site for our lass to buy the duo 2 for me for christmas but just thought I would get some input as they all seem to be using the same 1300mhz broadcom chipset but the has lots more ram ect.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    There are other new boxes on the horizon apparently as good if not better than duo2 so worth checking them out as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

kegnkiwi (12-10-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Save your money and buy no Vu+ Box in case you want use VIX with online media.
    You will only annoy you. Let you recommend a box from an admin which is fully compatible with VIX.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    There are other new boxes on the horizon apparently as good if not better than duo2 so worth checking them out as well.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Can you name the new box's coming either in the thread or pm me, even if there at beta test stage I would be interested if I could get my hands on them.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You are crazy buying a receiver based on the speed of running tsmedia!! This can get shut down at any time, besides which generally speaking the speed is based on your Internet connection more than the receiver, both solo2 and duo2 will perform same for tsmedia
    Vix image (usually latest) - VU Solo 4K- WD 1TB INTERNAL HDD - DVB-T Freeview, trialling IPTV options

If my response has helped you, don't forget to hit the thanks button below. I appreciate you appreciate me

Title
    Thanks
    ..., both solo2 and duo2 will perform same for tsmedia
    Yes performance is good, but compatibility with onlinevideo material (not only tsmedia) is poorly under VIX. From pheonix i must learn that SegFaults are VU+ driver owing. VU+ and Onlinestreams only good under Stock or VTI-Image.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lgleave22 View Post
    You are crazy buying a receiver based on the speed of running tsmedia!! This can get shut down at any time, besides which generally speaking the speed is based on your Internet connection more than the receiver, both solo2 and duo2 will perform same for tsmedia
    Sorry you misunderstand me, I do not want a box that is fast simply based on how well tsmedia works, I want a box that is relatively new out and has the latest hardware for the moment. I already posses a 300mhz orginal dm800 and was give a beta test tm800, I have owned a 400mhz tm-twin for 2.5 years. Now I'm looking for something else to play with. The latest boxs seem to be based on broadbcom 1300mhz chipset such as solo 2, duo 2 and giga blue and tm3t. Stanman has said there maybe some new boxs on the horizon maybe they are running something new from broadcom, the new dreambox 7080 is one such thing that I don't now how fast it runs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kegnkiwi For This Useful Post:

duoduo (14-10-14)

Title
    Thanks
    duo 2 really you seems to me like you throwing your money in the... save your money and get duo 2 or tm /mircalebox

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiz1 View Post
    duo 2 really you seems to me like you throwing your money in the... save your money and get duo 2...
    ???

Title
    Thanks
    If it's just a play box then a Solo2 would be fine or any DM box,

Fastest processor and max ram you can buy at the moment is a Duo2, this should be fairly future proof for a while and when ever the OpenEnigma crews actually do something decent rather than still supporting DM500 boxes and actually use the processing power of the newer boxes then you will be fine knowing that you'll be able to run what ever they release, however I'm guessing more likely a new OS by a new team or a hacked version of the new DM firmware will be released will hopefully move the scene along. (at the moment we are stuck in a limbo state supporting +10 year old boxes) So it all depends on what you want from your new box.

So if you just want to stream media , and I'm guessing media that may not necessarily be hosted on you Lan , my advice it to get any device that is compatible with XBMC or Plex (This rules out any Enigma based boxes if you are after true compatibility as DreamPlex is crap (see my note below) and XBMC Addons only really works with TM boxes and even then it will still have issues, so I don't count any Enigma2 box as a decent media player).

The way we all watch/stream media/tv is quickly changing and my feeling is that Enigma2 is no longer the right solution. It was created for the 7025 (going back over 8 years ago to the 2006).
    This is before we even had smart phones (yes even before the very first Iphone was released). Can you imagine using the same OS base now on your new shiny mobile device, and run Symbian on it.

If you really want to stick with an Enigma based box then my current set up for Media / Streaming plugins are.

TSMedia (This is the main goto place for watching Media on your box, great support and ongoing dev)
    Ruya IPTV (Great implementation of how it should be done, looks and feels just like an XBMC setup , however most providers are not cheap)
    XBMC Addons (issues on most boxes, it's a true hobby project and while moving forward is no comparison to a true XBMC player)
    DreamPlex (if you can get it to work , however even if you do ,it's only a client and is no good unless you have your own plex server set up)
    IPTV List Updater (Can save to Bouquets which is a nice feature , however any chans saved will be out of date by the weekend and therefore useless , have to always run from plugin to get consistent working feeds)
    MUZU.TV (Great Music video player, really nice and easy to use implementation)
    Media Portal (Nothing really of interest here , seems pointless to me, move along)
    OnDemand (Where is Channel 4 and 5, So it's an OnDemand play that only supports 2 of the main 4 , yeah right? , Good for BBC IPlayer I guess)
    Last edited by zoro25; 14-10-14 at 00:12.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zoro25 For This Useful Post:

duoduo (14-10-14)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast