Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: streaming vu+ solo2 when im not at home

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grahammcm1888 View Post
    And how would you suggest that the box is secured for openwebif access and streaming? Surely a password is the only way to do both? Or are you suggesting that even with authentication switched on for streaming the box would still be un-secure?
    A VPN as stated previously.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

seame (06-10-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Pretty much renders transcoding useless then does it not?

Title
    Thanks
    ok so guess VPN is the only secure way, guess I have a lot of reading up to do as I want it secure.

I know it may sound daft but as I currently have WIFI ( Lan )

can I also setup a VPN on the same network so I can access the box remotely, as I don't need the VPN for viewing the box on my pc I nthe same house will I or are you saying, make my full network a VPN

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Pretty much renders transcoding useless then does it not?
    No .

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie2014 View Post
    ok so guess VPN is the only secure way, guess I have a lot of reading up to do as I want it secure.

I know it may sound daft but as I currently have WIFI ( Lan )

can I also setup a VPN on the same network so I can access the box remotely, as I don't need the VPN for viewing the box on my pc I nthe same house will I or are you saying, make my full network a VPN
    No, VPN only used for external access to your home network.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    No, VPN only used for external access to your home network.
    Ah I see, so how would I set this up so it wouldn't mess with my LAN, or can I setup both and have both on at the same time,

ok anyway so what isit I need to read up about regarding setting the VPN up

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I am not an expert in setting up VPNs so I guess you will have to take Judges advice and do some reading up. Sorry I couldn't help you achieve what you wanted without the security risk but I tried to help.

Good luck.

Title
    Thanks
    I am not an expert in setting up VPNs so I guess you will have to take Judges advice and do some reading up. Sorry I couldn't help you achieve what you wanted without the security risk but I tried to help.

Good luck.
    not a prolem graham, I appreciated all your help pal thank you very much

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Ah I see, so how would I set this up so it wouldn't mess with my LAN, or can I setup both and have both on at the same time,
    Yes, you use both. When on LAN, you don't use VPN, when on WLAN, you use VPN.
    ok anyway so what isit I need to read up about regarding setting the VPN up
    No idea, sorry. Lots of info I'm sure on networking sites that will help.

Title
    Thanks
    ok thank you for all your help both of you tonight really appreciate it,

although not the bes thing in the world, would you have any idea how I can put a username and password on the openwebif for the time being?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Firstly I would recommend that you change the default password which I believe is blank by default. The default user name is root. You will need to change this password via ftp or telnet . Once you have connected via telnet or ftp you will have to enter the command passwd . Enter the new password (the user name cannot be changed).

Once this has been done use your remote and go to plugins and select Openwebif. Make sure that you set authentication on for webif access and for streaming this way you have to enter your predefined password when you login (locally or) remotely when accessing port 80 ,8001 or 8002.

As far as security is concerned I don't know how this can be bypassed but I am sure Judge will know a way. I can only tell you what I know.

Title
    Thanks
    Firstly I would recommend that you change the default password which I believe is blank by default. The default user name is root. You will need to change this password via ftp or telnet . Once you have connected via telnet or ftp you will have to enter the command passwd . Enter the new password (the user name cannot be changed).

Once this has been done use your remote and go to plugins and select Openwebif. Make sure that you set authentication on for webif access and for streaming this way you have to enter your predefined password when you login (locally or) remotely when accessing port 80 ,8001 or 8002.

As far as security is concerned I don't know how this can be bypassed but I am sure Judge will know a way. I can only tell you what I know.
    H for some reason I cannot gain access via FTP or TELNET

I downloaded putty, entered my IP address of my box and the command prompt opens so I enter Root for the username and iv tried many things for password but nothing works

ca anybody help

Title
    Thanks
    hi all I need help, since you all last helped me I deleted all the port forwarding etc

but now I wanted to watch my box at my friends house, so I put ports 80, 8002 and 8001 into the port forwarding area of my router

but when try access it via my mobile over 4g using the routers broadband IP it will not access it

can anybody help please

Title
    Thanks
    you go to your ip:8002 unless you changed 8002
    it might be http:// or https:// not sure which

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234