Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: No Signal from LNB - getting desperate!

Title
    Thanks

No Signal from LNB - getting desperate!

Well, I finally decided to replace my old Spiderbox with a TM-Nano 2 Super - my first Linux sat box. Installed latest VIX image (33) and configured everything, but cannot see any signal whatsoever from either tuner. Have Darkmotor and Invacom 0.3db Quad LNB which worked fine with Spiderbox. Tried setting up just Tuner A with LNB connected to socket 1, first in USALS mode, then when that didn't work tried simple single satellite mode for 28.2E. Zilch.

In USALS mode motor moves, so I thought at first it might be an alignment problem, so connected up old box, went to 28.2E and all OK - 98% signal strength. So fired up TM box again and turned off USALS, just using single sat setting for 28.2E. Reconnected antenna, knowing that it was pointing in the right direction having checked it on Spiderbox, but still nothing. Tried loopthrough settings, and increased voltage. Nothing. Tried with disqec options - nothing. Connected antenna back to Spiderbox and all fine. So there's something wrong with the tuner configuration in the TM, but I don't know what. It's as if the antenna isn't actually connected to the tuner, but I can't find any settings that affect this.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Move your dish to 28.2 using your spiderbox. Ensure that you have good signal readings.
    On TM Nano 2 Super (TM N2S) set tuner A = not configured. Set tuner B = simple single 28.2. Connect the cable then perform a scan/use autobouquetsmaker. Once you have confirmed that you have signal, we can progress to motorised settings.

TM N2S like Solo2 has an issue where you cannot loop from tuner A to B. You can loop from B to A without a problem.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for reply Abu. Unfortunately that's pretty much exactly what I already tried, but just to be sure I tried it again after your advice. With A not configured, cable connected to LNB 2 socket doing a scan produces no channels. To be sure it's not a cable issue or dish moved off I checked with Spiderbox again and I have 98% signal on 28.2. Connected cable to TM again, checked can move motor the disabled USALS again. Took top off box and with the simple set-up you suggest I measured voltage going out of LNB 2 connector for H and V polarisations (selecting these on a transponder in Sat finder). This produced readings of 18.2V and 13.2V respectively, so all exactly as expected there.

So, cable appears to be connected properly and functioning, voltages are correct, don't know about 22khz, but even without it I'd expect a scan to find some signals anyway. Only issue I can think of is that I'm only using one cable at present as that's all I have coming into each room at present - planning to add more later. Not sure how the receiver maps the LNB inputs 1 and 2 to Tuners A and B, but the above voltage test seems to confirm that LNB 1 -> Tuner A and LNB 2 -> Tuner B.

If all the connections are correct I think it can only be either a hardware fault in the receiver or a problem with the image (VIX build 33).

Title
    Thanks
    I'm sure you did, but worth double checking you got your correct log/lat configured.
    I'm on 033 with no problems.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Sataday - yes, checked that, but I've disabled USALS/diseqc anyway on the TM and just used the old Spiderbox to position the dish correctly for 28.2 as Abu suggested. Thinking I might have to try reflashing VIX or even going back to factory image of OpenPLI 4D (if I can find it).

Title
    Thanks
    4d image here
    Code:
    http://downloadtmsw.com/bbs/list.php?board=tmnano2super

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Abu. Tried reflashing VIX 033 - no luck - so downloaded 4d file from link you give - still no luck. Looking like it's a hardware fault, as I've put back the old Spiderbox and it's working fine. Guess I'll have to call TM in the morning.

I've tried all the A/B/loopthrough or not configurations suggested, all with just simple set-up, single sat at 28.2 - nothing at all. The only other thing I can think of is whether the receiver is being fussy about having only one cable connected.

Title
    Thanks
    Provided tuner config mtaches what you connect to it, it should be fine withonly one feed.

Title
    Thanks
    In that case it's definitely looking like a hardware problem with the receiver, unless there's some kind of deep setting that's got corrupted and can survive a reflash and factory reset.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospero1960 View Post
    ...unless there's some kind of deep setting that's got corrupted and can survive a reflash and factory reset.
    A flash by USB removes everything. This is not the tm800!

Title
    Thanks
    Thought I'd post a follow-up for others who might have the same problem. I returned the receiver to Technomate, where they tested it and reported it to be working OK. They changed the main board anyway and sent it back to me. When I tested it again it still reported no signal, so I dug out a different LNB from an old Sky dish, tried it with that and it worked fine. So it seems to be a compatibility issue with the Invacom LNB, even though that still works fine with my Spiderbox and with an older Technomate receiver I have. The old Sky LNB didn't give a brilliant signal (S=80 Q=60) so I bought a Technomate TM-4, figuring there would not be any compatibility issues with that. Claims to be 0.1dB noise figure and gives decent signal (S=90 Q=82) so happy with that, but still not as good as the Invacom (S=98 Q=92). Just a pity that the Invacom doesn't work with the TM Nano2 Super, although it is an old LNB (6 years) so maybe there isn't the same problem with a newer model.

Apart from that TM Nano2 Super seems to be a decent receiver. Have flashed latest VIX image and just finding my way around it now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Prospero1960 For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (19-10-14)