Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

View Entry Info: [NOT QUAD+] recording problem

Category:
Possible Bug
What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER e.g. 4.2.028
Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.
Yes
Attachments
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [NOT QUAD+] recording problem

Ojustaboo
    hmm, doesn't show them under Helios, might reflash to 26 and look there

Ojustaboo
    It's my temp that's the problem. Gone back to Apollo 26

With nothing recording, it's at a steady 89C (is that too high, seems it to me) I've checked again after 10 mins and it's still 89C

If I record something over a period of a few mins, it gradually creeps up to 100 and reboots (well I see it get as far as 99C)

After a reboot it's at 92C and if I don't record anything after 10 mins it's dropped back down to 89

So is it the box at fault, is 89 way too high? Or is the HD causing it to get too hot?

When I took the HD out to reformat it under linux, the inside was totally clean, no dust

Oh, it's in an open display cabinet with nothing near it, air to all sides

Ojustaboo
    pic of my box in it's surroundings

20140829_220739.jpg

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,122 Times in 884 Posts
    You have a similar setup to mine in that the boxes are on separate glass shelves, so your environment looks good. To my mind, 90C is too hot for a device that is idling. If you reach temperatures of 100C usually processors will switch themselves off to protect themselves from thermal overload - that is in the PC world. I believe I have seen pheonix reporting very high temperatures on his Quad also. I have never got my Quad+ over a reported 46C with all four tuners actively recording to an internal 2.5" HDD. The case is only moderately warm over the tuner area and directly above the HDD.
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Ojustaboo
    Right, I've removed the hd completely from the quad and connected it via esata

When I first turned the quad on it was around 57C but was gradually rising and soon hit 80 (and rising)

I recorded 2 channels while watching a 3rd, just managed to get a screenshot before it rebooted.

1111.jpg

That's ruled out heat from the HD, so there must be a problem with the box.

Totally clean inside, no holes blocked etc. There doesn't look like there''s any user serviceable parts (not like a PC where I can re thermal paste the heatsink on the CPU)

Title
    Thanks
    Is the heatsink over the processor actually hot? Is there any way you can measure the temperature with a probe of some sort?
    GB Quad Plus, Mut@nt HD51, AX HD61, 80cm dish and Supreme Dark motor. Sony STR-DN 1060, Sony UHP-H1 Bluray, Odroid N2+ (CoreElec), Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 speakers

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Any box reporting 100c+ will reboot by default thanks to E2 safety measures.
    No box should get that hot though.
    If some boxes are reporting 90c +, we shouldn't recommend that image for daily use.

Title
    Thanks
    I've said earlier in the thread to the OP that processors will shut down and reboot to save themselves. All PCs will do this, so I assume SoC systems are the same. Shouldn't happen, though, with proper heatsink design.

Ojustaboo
    The really really weird thing is, all was fine on Apollo24.

First thing I recorded and played back on 26 is as in the first post of this thread, then the box started rebooting when recording, all the first night after upgrading.

I went back to 24, then to Helios 15 and it's still doing it (back to 26 now as Helios 15 didn't' tell me temperature).

So either something got updated in 26 that the previous versions are leaving in place, or it is a huge coincidence that my box chose to go bad at that point.

Tomorrow, I'll put my hand on the box to see how warm it actually gets and possibly run it without the cover on. But only two thermometers I have are a meat one and one for humans. I've run my box on days much much much hotter than this where the room temp was really high, with zero probs.

Box is still in warranty for 3 months, I just really find the coincidence weird, plus I don't want to be without TV for a week or more

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    If the box is overheating while recording, it will suffer playback issues on those recorded files.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    When flashing an image, everything is written over. When you flashed the older image, did you flash the older bootloader too?

Ojustaboo
    No, I couldn't find the old bootloader. There's only the current one in

http://openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=B...GiGaBlue-QUAD/

Update: Since 1am it's been on normal standby. Turned it on at 6:30 am and the temp was already 78C

I left it on live TV (no recordings) while I took my dog out, at 7:01 it has risen to 93C

2222.jpg

I didn't turn my amp on, just the TV and Quad just to make sure the amp wasn't pumping out loads of heat and heating the underneath of the quad (see pic in post 18)

Putting my hand on the box, it really isn't at all hot, just slightly warm. Will put the HD back inside in a bit and leave the lid off and do a test.

EDIT: 7:20 it's still at 93C, I kicked off 3 recordings while watching on a forth channel and 10 mins later it's dropped a degree to 92C

I think its haunted.
    Last edited by Ojustaboo; 30-08-14 at 07:33.

Ojustaboo
    Getting odder.

It was steady at 93C, I tried playing back one of the recordings and it started to creep up, got as far as 95 before I quit watching

4444.jpg

second I stopped p[laying it dropped down to 93C

5555.jpg

Tried playing back again, it's up to 96 and keeps pixelating, but if I rewind and replay, it#'s perfect and pixelates elsewhere
    Last edited by Ojustaboo; 30-08-14 at 08:00.

Ojustaboo
    It got to 97 on playback when the playback froze, not the box.

The screengrab shows the slight pixlation in his forehead (usually much worse) and if I restart 30 secs before hand it plays fine over that bit..

Straight away going to the temp, it has now dropped to 95

8888.jpg

What worries me is that even if going back to an early version with an earlier bootloader fixes it, why is it just happening to me (rebooting) and just two if us with the intermittent pixelation

If it helps, attached messages and messages.0 from var/log
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ojustaboo; 30-08-14 at 08:26.

Ojustaboo
    I put the HD back inside and put lid on but left uscrewed. Temp rose to 93C

I lifted the lid off, temp has dropped to 80C

Heat sink is like touching a house radiator when it's on, You can put your finger on it without getting a burn, but it's too hot to leave finger on there

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast