Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New download site for ocram picons.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

New download site for ocram picons.

Just to let every one know ocram has a new download site for his picons here
    Code:
    http://www.picons.org/
    . so if you choose to download you'r ocram picons manually rather from the image feeds, this is where you now need to get them.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

duoduo (11-05-14),gerald (24-07-14),markshore123 (07-08-14),sigpark (05-08-14),uscool (19-05-14)

deleted

Exclamation ocram picons

Dear picon users,

As of recently we've got our own domain name, www.picons.org and we are hosting everything on our own VPS...

Reasons for this change are, it became a bit tiresome uploading 100's of MB every new build with a slow 5Mbit upload. Now we are also able to keep available a bigger amount of different versions to choose from. Gone is the use of Google Drive to host the downloads, so users who prefer the use of their own script can easily make us of 'wget'.

In the past we could have different versions, for 'build', 'feed' and 'downloads', not anymore, every build will end up in the downloads and in the feed. OpenVIX will adjust to the new feed location starting from one of the next image builds. So no worries there and perfectly in sync.

Builds of the new picons happen every day starting at 0:00 and finishing before 03:00 if there is something to update obviously.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to deleted For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

abu baniaz (27-05-14),Alanp (22-05-14),BobbyC (12-05-14),cwebb66 (11-05-14),jonline (09-09-14),josh_g (13-05-14),marty (11-05-14),Sicilian (11-05-14),Trial (11-05-14),ukbob (11-05-14),uscool (19-05-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    Just to let every one know ocram has a new download site for his picons here
    Code:
    http://www.picons.org/
    . so if you choose to download you'r ocram picons manually rather from the image feeds, this is where you now need to get them.
    This site www.picons.org will not open for me - has it closed down please?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yes it has for the time being any way, this is what was causing the issue with the ViX feeds and why we had to remove it for now.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

iba (30-07-14)

Title
    Thanks
    any contact with oscram whats happened ?

Thanks

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The server has been taken down for financial reasons, we offered to host his picons on our server for free but he declined the offer.

SIMPLES.

deleted
    Just to expand on this...

The server was a full VPS wich did all the building of the picons automatically every day if there were changes, and it hosted the downloads+website. So minimal input was required from my side, I also gave somebody else full admin access to the git repository... This way the project could go on without any major work from my part, because I don't have the time anymore. Doing a quick pull request and fixing an issue here and there, would still be done offcourse, but in theory it could sustain itself with user input alone.

I very much appreciate the offer from OpenVIX, but basic FTP hosting is not the same as a VPS. It would mean I had to again use my own hardware to be on, hours on end to build the picons and upload hundreds of MB's, so again putting a lot of time in it from my end, don't know where most live, but electricity and bandwidth isn't free here. Not that it would cost me an arm, but just to put that offer of "free" in perspective.

Also we had thousands of users, a daily download of about 3GB worth of picons, but most people did not think the project was worth donating. Funds dry up fast in that case.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted For This Useful Post:

Silent (30-07-14)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ocram View Post

The server was a full VPS wich did all the building of the picons automatically every day if there were changes, and it hosted the downloads+website. So minimal input was required from my side, I also gave somebody else full admin access to the git repository... This way the project could go on without any major work from my part, because I don't have the time anymore. Doing a quick pull request and fixing an issue here and there, would still be done offcourse, but in theory it could sustain itself with user input alone.

I very much appreciate the offer from OpenVIX, but basic FTP hosting is not the same as a VPS. It would mean I had to again use my own hardware to be on, hours on end to build the picons and upload hundreds of MB's, so again putting a lot of time in it from my end, don't know where most live, but electricity and bandwidth isn't free here. Not that it would cost me an arm, but just to put that offer of "free" in perspective.

Also we had thousands of users, a daily download of about 3GB worth of picons, but most people did not think the project was worth donating. Funds dry up fast in that case.
    We have a dedicated build server for ViX, sure we can allow you access to that some how. Drop me a pm if your interested in finding a way forward.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

judge (31-07-14),Larry-G (02-08-14),markshore123 (31-07-14),Mr. Mister (31-07-14),s31teg (30-07-14),Silent (30-07-14),uscool (30-07-14),Waqs (30-07-14)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    ocram, don't mean to sound ungrateful but taking the server down without warning, causing image updates for any image that included the feeds to break is slightly harsh.
    With a bit of warning, they could have been removed in an update beforehand.

Any chance you can upload the last built IPKs here for anyone that wants to use them? or are they available on any other site?

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (02-08-14),markshore123 (31-07-14),Sicilian (02-08-14),uscool (31-07-14)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, anyone have file of IPK of last ocram white transparent no padding ?

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ocram View Post

I've just sent you a PM which should be able to help.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Does anybody have any backup of the picons? would they be able to provide a link for manual apply or would that not be allowed?
    Thanks in advance

deleted
    Thanks to a generous forum member, we will be back online in the following hours after the DNS update has propagated around the world.

http://www.picons.org

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deleted For This Useful Post:

mikehunt43 (07-08-14),uscool (08-08-14)

deleted
    Sadly the donated VPS was not up to the task, a lot of CPU restrictions, but another generous donator has donated enough to keep us going for another month on the old VPS... so should be all up and running in a few hours...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted For This Useful Post:

ronand (07-08-14)

Title
    Thanks
    is the website still down

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast