Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Install Advice on Multiroom configuration.

Title
    Thanks

Install Advice on Multiroom configuration.

I'm after some advice on how best to approach redoing TV distribution in my house.

Previously I had been with S*y and had two box multiroom setup.
    Downstairs in the lounge had been the main S*y HD box. This had the RF-out passed into a LCD in the conservatory as only means of connection.
    Upstairs in the bedroom had the second S*y box with dual tuner.
    There is no DVB-T ariel installed in the house. Only DVB-S.

I've now commenced on operation Freesat. The goal is to have HD in all of the above mentioned rooms, preferably with independent channel selection.
    The downstairs box is now a brand new Vu+ Solo2 running Vix 3.0 and is working really nicely.

I had bought a raspberry Pi running openelec and configured the Vu+ PVR client over powerline in the conservatory. Although this works the UI is very slow on the Live TV function.
    This will not be an acceptable solution for SWMBO.

The bedroom has the old S*y box as an interim solution but will need to be replaced in 30 days once the S*y cool down period ends and loose all PVR functions.

So I'm back to the start again. Not sure what is the best cost effective solution and I would prefer to take advice on those who may have been here.

My thoughts are, another dual tuner like the new TM-Nano-2T or Vu+ solo in the bedroom with powerline. The conservatory a TM-nano-oe with "remotestreamconverter"

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    My thoughts are, another dual tuner like the new TM-Nano-2T or Vu+ solo in the bedroom with powerline. The conservatory a TM-nano-oe with "remotestreamconverter"
    That would be my advise. Even the cheapest E2-box (preferably capable of running ViX or any other PLi-based image) will do a nice job in displaying remote bouquets and recordings.
    I hope your DUO2 has 4 tuners? I ask, because the use of the bedroombox must fit in the use of the masterbox.

I have a similar setup for quite some time: quad-Ultimo and a UNO without feeds in the bedroom.

Make sure your powerline/homeplugs do a good job. Depending on local circumstances they don't always provide enough bandwith for HD-streaming. An Ethernet cable would be the best solution.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    The bedroom box has access to two LNB feeds from the satellite dish. The LNB installed is Quad.
    Downstairs is the Solo2. Still it's the same result.

I like the idea of a xmbc device.

The intel NUC running openelec and running the vuplus pvr client looks great if the miniPC and network is quick enough.
    Downside is once it's spec'd and built will come in more than a single E2 tuner with remotestream.

Choices choices...

Title
    Thanks
    Can I ask, what did you decide on?

I ask because I'm in a similar situation but I already had a mini PC in the bedroom, which was running XBMC anyway. I installed the pvr client and I'm happy with that. However, I also have an RPi running openelec in another room which I've done the same with but I don't get a picture. I get the bouquets fine and can select channels, I hear sound but no picture. Is it worth the effort trying to resolve this or should I just get another E2 box and use a wifi/powerline connector?

Title
    Thanks
    Here's A Cheap Solution, It's A Quad Core A9 With Mail400 Graphics With 2Gb RAM And 8Gb Storage... You Need An Alpha Build Of XBMC 13 Gotham And A Modified advancedsettings.xml To Get It Working Properly As Frodo 12.3 Only Uses Soft Decoding... Gotham Uses The Hardware Acceleration Of The Mail400 Leaving The Quad Core CPU For A Smooth Interface Experience... It's Only £65, And I've Got One Myself...

Code:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quad-Android-1-8GHz-Output-HI718/dp/B00E7OSRBE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2

Title
    Thanks
    For You And Anyone Else Who Sees This Thread In The Future... Here's A Modified XBMC For Rockchip Devices(Includes advancedsettings.xml And Tweaks) For The Above Android Tv Box(K-R42) Or Any rk3188 Chipset Based Box/Stick...

Code:
    http://tv.100dola.eu/xbmc/mod/

Title
    Thanks
    Background

With apologies to those who have been following me in other threads, on different aspects of this, we're having an extension to our house built, to accomodate my wheelchair - bound mother-in-law. I've decided to seize the opportunity to donate our CRT TV (which has served us well) to the Heart Foundation. Our elderly Technomate SD satellite receiver will go the same way.

TV Desires

I am hoping to have a new TV in the living room (hopefully 42", 46" or 47"), attached to the wall & a 2nd TV in the kitchen (probably 32") attached to the ceiling, or thereabouts, in the kitchen. We already have another TV (32") in a bedroom that we use as a study.

It is a given that if I am to be allowed to do any of this & keep my prized hi-fi equipment that i must minimise the amount of visible wiring & wire as much as possible through the new walls.

Hardware

We currently have BT Vision. I'm intending to buy a receiver with both DVB-C/T (Freeview) as well as a DVB-S/S2 (satellite) feeds, such as the Gigablue HD 800 UE+. I haven't decided on which TVs yet. I'm hoping to buy them next month when they should get cheaper in the run up to the new models being issued.

Mulitroom

I was intending to have the Frieeview & satellite feeds come in to the living room near the BT Vision box & new satellite receiver., both being hard wired in to our ethernet network. I was intending to send the signals from these 2 boxes to the living room TV along cat5e cabling, using something like the Gefen HDBaseT Extender for HDMI over one CAT5 (see: https://www.rcblogic.co.uk/p-2177-ge...-one-cat5.aspx).

Then I was going to also send the signals from these 2 boxes to the kitchen TV, again along cat5e cabling, using another pair of these HDMI - cat5e devices.

I was hoping to find something cheaper than the Geffens as a pair of pairs of them will set me back £1,000, which is too much, on top of everything else.

The BT Vision box & the new satellite receiver each have only 1 HDMI socket. I was thinking of buying a splitter, splitting the HDMI feed in to 2, before feeding them in to the HDMI - cat5e converter.

Am I correct in assuming that I can just feed these feeds in to my new cat5e network, or do I need seperate cat5e wiring for each connection?

Phew! That's a lot to think about. I have no doubt that others have perfected all that I am thinking about. I would welcome the benefit of their knowledge & experience, please.

Title
    Thanks
    Any issues with using multi-room card in third party receiver now that you have to be connected to broadband rather than phone line??