Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Sanity Check

calvinx1966

Sanity Check

Hi

Newbie alert so please be gentle !! (and sorry in advance for the long post)

I bought a TM Nano OE from this site, bought a motorized dish setup too trying to get it to operate and failing miserably

My Equipment setup is as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    TM Nano OE (flashed with a Vix image) 500gig external hdd

1m dish no name on it...

Allsat supreme intelligent dark motor ( DiSEqC 1.2 & Goto "X" protocols)

TM TS-1 LNB

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Location Details:

Latitude = 57,13.54 N
    Longitude = 02,41.32 W

So I have my mount and pole installed plum in both planes checked with a digital, analog inclinometers

Dish-motor set to "0" & pointing to true south, then dish itself pointing due south too.

Dish motor angle set to my latitude of 57 degree's as per the motor's instruction, then dish declination angle set to 27.2 degree's again as per instructions.

I relatively happy with the install quality, I'm quite anal in this respect being a mechanical engineer so I took my time to try to get this all spot on..

I thought I was reasonably competent with the software side of things, boy do I feel like a school kid again or what !!

So i just need a sanity check (or a shake) to see if what i am trying to do is right or wrong

The way I read it is that you set everything (dish motor etc) to true south, then in the receiver tell the motor to point to a set point, in my case I chose 0.8 W Thor. and once the motor drives the dish to said point you check/fine tune with either the sat finder function or an acoustic/analog sat meter.

Does my methodology seem sound ?

if so, I will explain how I thought I would set it up on my receiver (please correct me if I'm wrong)

So I would drill down the menu's to get the following

Menu ---> Setup ---> Service Searching ---> Tuner configuration, in there my settings would be:

Config Mode = Simple

Longitude = 02,41.32 W

Latitude = 57,13.54 N

Save these setting and back on out of the menu to get back to " Service Searching" the drill in again to: Positioner Setup

Tune & Focus

Tune = Predefined

Sat = 0.8 W thor 5/6

Transponder = 10716,H,24500

Then back out again and go to "movement" to test the motor is actually moving (which it seems it is but is jerky)

Then I thought I would go to "Positioner Setup" and use undertake the following :

set the "GOTO" to = 0.8 W to drive the dish to this point then use a meter or the "Sat Finder" function to physically align the dish to get the best possible signal strength.
    and once that is all done & dusted, i would do an "automatic scan" to see it the box/dish will find everything.

Does this sound right or wrong ?

As i have tried and tried, check and rechecked my lat/lon with dishpointer.com with my Tom Tom, and google maps all getting much & such the same co-ordinates.

But still I dont seem to get a lock on thor after moving the dish in both horizontal & vertical planes, I have re-checked my cable connections from LNB ---> Motor ---> Receiver as I'm not convinced the motor is moving properly there is two LED's (green/red) and they flash but not consistently. And I cannot seems to physically get the dish to visually move to a certain location when i send a goto command

Any ideas before I go sit in the corner and hatch a plan how to best destroy the infernal thing...

Regards

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    in my opinion you are doing the set up wrong , you will need to tune the dish up to at least 3 reference point , what you need is 0.8 west , 30.0west and 28.2 east you need to set this up first at the dish end first and ignore doing anything with the receiver at this point you only need it for the power to drive the motor off the buttons but you will need some sort of meter even a cheap buzzer one will do you just to try and locate these points , think of it as a rainbow effect and thor is the centre and 28.2 east is on the left off centre and 30.0 west is on the right of centre , once you have set the dish end up and you are getting these three points in the usals should work , iff not then you can pulse the dish round on your box and tune in manually , imagine trying to hit a transit van 25,000 miles away as it was once put to me. there may be other ways of doing this and I could be corrected by other members or installers as I am not a installer
    Vu + Duo , 1.5tb hard drive installed , 1.2 channel master dish , 1224 jagger motor , alsat g box , quad lmb prime focus , diablo cam 2.3 , diablo wi-fi cam, te-rex cam, dragon cam, cas 3 , technomate 6900 super stb , manhattan stb

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cwebb66 For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    I bought one of these motors about six months ago, some people were having trouble setting them up because the elevation plate was marked different than the instruction manual. On mine the plate is clearly marked "LATITUDE". with the scale going from left to right of 20 degrees to 70 degrees. I set mine to the correct latitude of 35 and dish elevation and inclination as per manual, pointed to my most southern satellite, in my case 33degrees east, ilive in Turkey, set USALS longitude and latitude, and it worked fine.

However on some motors the elevation plate was not marked "latitude" but elevation, the numbers from left to right on the plate were 75 to 25 degrees.

This meant that in your case at 57 degrees north, you would have to set this angle to 33 and change the angle of your dish to about 57 or less, point the motor and dish to 0.8 degrees and fine tune dish elevation by moving up or down, and motor assembly east and west to produce maximum signal.

Set up USALS long and lat and try again.

Hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bill fisher For This Useful Post:

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (24-11-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Maxwell;252128]Have a read of this thread http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...ised-dish-helpnice

Nice one Maxwell I was trying to explain that
    Vu + Duo , 1.5tb hard drive installed , 1.2 channel master dish , 1224 jagger motor , alsat g box , quad lmb prime focus , diablo cam 2.3 , diablo wi-fi cam, te-rex cam, dragon cam, cas 3 , technomate 6900 super stb , manhattan stb

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cwebb66 For This Useful Post:

calvinx1966
    Hi Guys

Thanks for all the input, it's much clearer now. I did do a search but it didnt throw up that thread, but to me the graphical interpretation is the way to go for me. will check it out and report back.

Thanks again

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Fruitballs Motorised Installtion Guide have a look here too

calvinx1966
    Hi All

just a note to say thank you, after following the advice here, i now have a fully functioning system.

thanks again to all

regards

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calvinx1966 For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (30-11-13),Maxwell (04-12-13)