Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VU+ Duo HDD problem

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

Re: VU+ Duo HDD problem

Quote Originally Posted by Taffster View Post
    Never heard of a "telnet" update before. How do you do it?
    You would first need to start a telnet session between your pc and the receiver then use the command I posted. Sorry I can't be more specific at the moment. I'll be back on the pc in 20 minutes or so.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Managed to get my channels and epg back up - that is a major relief. If Peppa Pig did not come on tomorrow morning I'd have two very annoyed youngsters to answer to.

I'm retiring to bed - I'm drained. Thank you for all your help. I'll try and PM you or something when I'm revved and ready to try and reflash this baby.

If you reply about the telnet thing I'll have a bash at that.

Thanks once again for your time and help. It's very much appreciated.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    no worries, you at least have a working receiver for the yungens in the morning, i'll be back here tomorrow evening if you want to have another go at it.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    rite, well you cant flash the image from the image manger yet as you would need to be on build 668 to do that.

have you enabled the allow unstable updates option yet ?.

if so try a telnet update ( make a image backup first just to be safe in the image manager )

The telnet command to update the image is

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

once the update has gone through you can use the image manager to restore / flash a image directly.
    Have borrowed a hard drive from work for the evening. After mounting and initialising I've got the HDD up and running, recording, playing and deleting without errors. So my original hard drive must be knackered and I now know how to install one.

Have figured out how to "telnet". I found a web page giving instructions and used "Terminal" (I have a mac) to run a telnet session through the options menu, then entered "telnet <my vu+ ip address>", entered my user name and password and got a positive log on from the vu+ box.

Do I just type in "init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6" into the terminal at this point?
    And if so, what can I expect to happen and for how long?

If I make an image backup through image manager, where will it be stored? Will I be able to store it on my usb stick? hdd? or does it go into the vu+ flash memory?

Cheers

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Have borrowed a hard drive from work for the evening. After mounting and initialising I've got the HDD up and running, recording, playing and deleting without errors. So my original hard drive must be knackered and I now know how to install one.

Have figured out how to "telnet". I found a web page giving instructions and used "Terminal" (I have a mac) to run a telnet session through the options menu, then entered "telnet <my vu+ ip address>", entered my user name and password and got a positive log on from the vu+ box.

Do I just type in "init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6" into the terminal at this point?
    And if so, what can I expect to happen and for how long?

If I make an image backup through image manager, where will it be stored? Will I be able to store it on my usb stick? hdd? or does it go into the vu+ flash memory?

Cheers

yes just enter the command exactly like that and leave it to do it's work, The update process may take a while to complete ( could be any where from 5 to 15 minutes depending on the amount of updates it needs to load ) and once it has the receiver should reboot it self ( that's the init 6 part of the command ).

Now for the image backup, have a read of this it should help you.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    did it and got this error at the bottom of a very long list

Collected errors:
    * opkg_download: Failed to download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62734189/feed/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Then your image is seriously old and cant be updated online.

you need to keep trying with different USB sticks until you find one that will work.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks

you need to keep trying with different USB sticks until you find one that will work.
    Would a new image work off a new HDD? Say I put the 668 image vuplus folder on an empty HDD - would that make the box reflas the image?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Re: VU+ Duo HDD problem

Would a new image work off a new HDD? Say I put the 668 image vuplus folder on an empty HDD - would that make the box reflas the image?
    No you would have to flash via a USB stick to a minimum of build 668 before you could use the image manager to flash the receiver.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

VU+ Duo HDD problem

Yes. When I check the pendrive it only contained a Vuplus folder, inside that was a Duo folder and inside that were a couple of files dated 23rd May 2013.
    I know Phoenix has already asked and you have tried two but my Duo will not flash with certain USB sticks. I have about 6 in the house and two have never worked. Once I take them out of the equation I have no problem flashing.

Tapatalker

Title
    Thanks

I've found a usb stick that the vu+ box recognises on startup.

The front of the box says "found usb" (or something similar), "reading", "formatting" and finally "please remove usb and reboot".
    All this takes less than 10 seconds.

When I reboot nothing has changed Still on build 423 or whatever I'm on.

I've tried all 3 usb ports and get the same result.

Is it worth doing a factory reset?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

VU+ Duo HDD problem

A factory reset will only go back to the last flash.
    When the box recognises the USB I think you have to press ok or the roller on prompt. If you don't it will not flash.
    It should last over two min

Tapatalker

Title
    Thanks
    Pressed ok on the remote when the "found usb" message came up. Did the same as before. 10 seconds and asks for reboot. No change to image build.

Tried pressing and rolling the roller on the front of the box at the same usb message and the same things happen. No change to build.

I tried reflashing this box the first few days I had and it would not reflash. Must have a dud-box or something.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

VU+ Duo HDD problem

Mods,

Is an updated bootloader required to upgrade from 423 to 6**?

Tapatalker

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleBalls View Post
    Mods,

Is an updated bootloader required to upgrade from 423 to 6**?

Tapatalker
    The bootloader that's on openvx for the vu+ duo was in the vuplus file on this stick.

I'll try it without the bootloader.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast