Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VU+ Duo HDD problem

Title
    Thanks

VU+ Duo HDD problem

My Vu+ Duo developed a problem on Sunday that seems to be related to the HDD.

I tried to watch a recently recorded programme, the vu+ locked up, displayed a black screen with an error code in white text then restarted.

I tried to load a different programme and the same thing happened.

I chose the "restart enigma" through the main menu options.

When it re-booted all my saved programmes had vanished and the HDD indicator in the bottom right of the /hdd/movie screen displayed 29Gb 100% free. My HDD is 1TB and did have 66% free with all the programmes saved.

Any ideas on what's happened and how I can restore my HDD space back - or even get my saved programmes back.

I've not messed with any other settings - before this incident or since. I have looked though my Vu+'s files using FileZilla but there's nothing in the hdd/movie folder. I can still record stuff and rewatch it and delete things. Everything else seems to be working normally - such as epg & picons though I think these run off a usb stick rather than the HDD.

All my plug-ins are working fine - don't know where these are stored, I presume it's in the HDD??

I've attached the enigma logs that I found stored in the Vu+.

Cheers for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Sounds like it's lost the HDD mount points.

Check in the mounts manager and post the results.

Blue button> ViX> Mounts ( or what ever name it has ), also on topic of mounts you dont have TSpanel installed by any chance ?.

Looking at one of your logs it's saying your on build 423. I would recommend that you perform a fresh flash to build 668 which can be downloaded from www.openvix.co.uk and setup again from there, if the HDD is fine you should not loose any recordings from it.

This tutorial may help in the flashing process.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    Sounds like it's lost the HDD mount points.

Check in the mounts manager and post the results.

Blue button> ViX> Mounts ( or what ever name it has ), also on topic of mounts you dont have TSpanel installed by any chance ?.

Looking at one of your logs it's saying your on build 423. I would recommend that you perform a fresh flash to build 668 which can be downloaded from www.openvix.co.uk and setup again from there, if the HDD is fine you should not loose any recordings from it.

This tutorial may help in the flashing process.
    I do have TSpansel installed.

In the mount manager option, only my usb stick is listed. My HDD does not appear.

When I doa fresh flash, does it have to be a "clean" usb stick? Can I put the relevant file onto the usb stick in the back of the machine that stores picons & epg info? Or does it have to be a tick with nothing else on it?
    Last edited by Taffster; 04-06-13 at 19:27.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    TSpanel is frankly a massive pain in the backside and in my opinion Trashware.

TSpanel is well known to mess with Mount points on all devices be they USB, HDD or Network and it also messes with Timeshift just to name two of the many problems this plugin causes.

I would strongly recommend that you re-install the image and leave out TSpanel ( DO NOT restore a backup made where TSpanel is installed ).
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Cheers.

Can I reflash with any old usb fat32 pendrive - or do I have to clear all the files from it first and only have the flash file on it?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffster View Post
    Cheers.

Can I reflash with any old usb fat32 pendrive - or do I have to clear all the files from it first and only have the flash file on it?
    ideally it's best with a clean freshly formatted stick but i often use one that contains picons etc as long as the vuplus folder is placed directly to the root of the stick it should be fine.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Having a few issues . . . .

Put the vuplus folder on to the usb stick. Put the stick back in the vu box and switched the rocker on. A clicking noise started and kept on going. The front of the vu box said "starting". I waited 5 minutes and as the clicking and "starting" were still continuing I switched it off at the rocker.

I tried the usb pen in the front usb socket. Got the clicking again, which stopped after 30 secs. Then the vu booted. Still had the same issues as before. (Channels were all working fine.)

Switched it off and put the stick in the original usb slot. Same thing happened as first time.

Switched it off, tried the usb pen in the second rear slot (it was the one above the first rear slot I was trying). 30 seconds of clicking followed by Vix booting with the same issues as before. I've checked my menus, it's still on Vix build 423 so hasn't reflashed yet (you probably knew that).

Is the clicking a problem with the HDD?

I'm going to try and uninstall TSpanel and see what effect that has.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The clicking sounds like the HDD has or is about to fail, try unplug the HDD internally and flash again with a clean freshly formatted stick, also uninstalling TSpanel from the menu wont fully remove it from the image as it overwrites system files during its install, making it impossible to remove without a reflash.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Have dismantled the box - tried firing up the HDD on my laptop. Fires up first time, no clicking. I can't access the HDD which might be because I am using a Mac and the HDD might be in a format that a MAC won't recognise. However it spun fine and made the right noises.

Will try to reflash without HDD attached first.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffster View Post
    Have dismantled the box - tried firing up the HDD on my laptop. Fires up first time, no clicking. I can't access the HDD which might be because I am using a Mac and the HDD might be in a format that a MAC won't recognise. However it spun fine and made the right noises.

Will try to reflash without HDD attached first.
    yeah try reflashing the receiver without the HDD attached, then once flashed reattach the HDD and see what if any thing happens.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    It's not reflashing.

No HDD attached. Usb stick reformatted for Fat32 and has nothing on it but the newest Build.

Towards the end of the pdf you pointed me towards, it says something about a bootloader. Do I need that?

Title
    Thanks
    Tried reflashing with no HDD attached, formatted usb stick to Fat32 with nothing on it except the new build file. But it did not work.

On the pdf you pointed me towards it states near the end something about a bootloader. Do I need one of them?

Oops - didn't see that it had moved to page 2.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    if your already using a ViX 3.0 image then no you dont need to update the bootloader, try a different USB stick as sometimes Duo's especially can be very picky about the USB sticks they flash with.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Adding a bootloader had no effect either.

Still on build 423.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    you could try updating the image via the online method then once done use the image manager to flash the latest image directly.

SIMPLES.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast