Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: BBC Trust says Red Button and online should merge

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

BBC Trust says Red Button and online should merge

BBC Trust has recommended the corporation to merge its online and Red Button operations. In its most recent review of BBC Online and BBC Red Button, the governing body said that the BBC should look to improve navigation across the different parts of BBC Online, with an improved links and design consistency and better search functionality and more personalization. It also wants to see the convergence of online and Red Button to see Connected Red Button – as available in Virgin Media homes – spread.

It said that as the BBC Red Button “increasingly becomes a gateway to access BBC Online,” it would be sensible to bring them together under a single service license. This would help them to complement each other in the future, the Trust said. The BBC Red Button serves over 17 million people each week. Its users value the day-to-day provision of news and sport headlines, weather and other information. It says that due to the reduction in capacity on some digital TV platforms, the Red Button may struggle to meet audience expectations of providing extended events coverage on those platforms. However, we are confident it will remain an important service for licence fee payers and will increasingly be a gateway to access BBC Online content.

The other recommendations put forward include calls for the BBC to “provide better local news and information,” following complaints that the BBC’s local sites are not as strong as its UK and international news output.

“In the five years since we first reviewed BBC Online, the digital world has advanced rapidly and people’s expectations of online services have changed. For example, in 2008 the iPlayer was just launching, whereas now audiences consider it a ‘world class’ part of the BBC’s online offer,” said BBC Trustee Suzanna Taverne, who led the review.

The report marks the second service review of Online and Red Button, which were last reviewed in 2008 and 2010 respectively. A public consultation on the BBC’s proposal to merge BBC Online and BBC Red Button under a single service licence has now been launched and will run until August 13th.

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/2013/05/20/bbc-trust-says-red-button-and-online-should-merge/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Any idea why the BBC wouldn't use the existing European HbbTV standard? It can be used for free and certainly any special development will be (far?) more expensive.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Any idea why the BBC wouldn't use the existing European HbbTV standard? It can be used for free and certainly any special development will be (far?) more expensive.
    no idea mate, but we Brits have a habit of doing things our own way and this is a classic example of that.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    it may not bet that far away ...

Intellect trial HbbTV spec for UK
    By Colin Mann

Effectively snubbing the high-profile public broadcaster and ISP-backed launch of open IPTV platform YouView, Intellect, the UK’s trade body for the high technology sector, has revealed its preferred way for aligning the UK with HbbTV, the hybrid TV standard emerging dominant in Europe, for consultation with broadcasters.
    from: http://advanced-television.com/2012/...v-spec-for-uk/

HbbTV also get a quoted here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/...nected_tv_apps

and for the teckie types :-)

Does TAL support HbbTVs?

Answer: Yes, we’ve included a default configuration file in the TAL project code.
    from http://fmtvp.github.io/tal/faq.html
    Last edited by copex; 20-05-13 at 20:47.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    no idea mate, but we Brits have a habit of doing things our own way and this is a classic example of that.
    Yeah.. And it usually ends up pure shite.. and costing millions more to the British tax payer..

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Mister For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (20-05-13),s31teg (20-05-13)