Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: International Space Station makes move away from Windows to Linux

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

International Space Station makes move away from Windows to Linux

The United Space Alliance, the company behind the computers used on the International Space Station has said today that they have migrated the computers to Linux, and away from Windows XP.
    With a parting shot to Windows, the Alliance added, "we migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable."

The "dozens of laptops" will now use Debian 6, while other systems on the Space Station already use RedHat and Scientific Linux.

More specifically, Keith Chuvala of the United Space Alliance said the group needed an OS "that would give us in-house control. So if we needed to patch, adjust or adapt, we could."

ExTech says the laptops being upgraded are part of the station's OpsLAN. "The crew use the OpsLAN to perform day-to-day activities, such as viewing stock inventory, controlling scientific experiments, or checking their current location."

Code:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/05/10/international_space_station_makes_move_away_from_windows_to_linux
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

s31teg (10-05-13),white_westie (10-05-13)