Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Review of Android App Vu+ Player

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Review of Android App Vu+ Player

The author of AndroidDreamer (tilleke) has produced a new app for Android called Vu+ Player. He has posted the announcement on here: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...969#post196969

I was privileged to be able to help with the beta testing and documentation of this app, but I have no other association with it, or the developer.

I thought a review may be helpful to forum members

Section 1 - Overview

VU+ Player is an Android app designed to allow you to control and stream from any VU+ Satellite receivers you own, either from your armchair, or from a remote location. Although designed for the VU range of receivers, it should work with any Enigma 2 Linux receivers such as the original Dreambox range. I see three main purposes for this app:

1) As a substitute remote control while seated in front of your TV. If you are one of these people who does not like equipment on display, your VU can be paced out of site (and IR remote range) and this app used to control it.

2) A means of watching you own satellite receiver on a portable device in your own home. An example might be if you want to watch a different channel to the one displayed on TV, you can stream an alternative channel from your device. If the channel is SD then it can be done on any VU+ device with two tuners. Watching the streamed channel has no effect on the one being viewed

If you own a VU+Solo2 then you can enable the transcoder function. This will enable you to stream on an alternate port (8002 by default). I have tested this to the extreme by watching ITV1 HD on TV and streaming BBC1 HD onto my Kindle Fire HD. Both channels were viewed without any problems.

3) Finally, and most exciting is the possibility to view your home channels while away from home. You must have a receiver capable of transcoding, (or a very good upload speed from home and download speed from your current location) Using the transcoding function the app can work from anywhere in the world where you can get a WiFi connection. All you need is a dynamic DNS address at home, e.g. DynDNS and forward ports on your router. Possible scenarios are airport lounges while waiting for your delayed flight, coffee shops, hotels, your apartment in Spain...

Most software apps such as Sky Go, iPlayer etc. have limits imposed on them depending on your location and will not operate outside the UK. Although VPN and other means can be used to overcome this, it all adds extra work, and requires a PC left running 24/7.

I have tested on the following Android devices:

- Kindle Fire HD tablet
    - Sony Xperia Tipo phone
    - Samsung Galaxy 7 inch tablet
    - Samsung Galaxy S3 phone
    - Bluestacks Android emulator running on Windows 7

The home screen of VU+ Player:

Figure 1

You get a brief view of this home screen before a dialog pops up informing you that this is the first time you have used the app and your receiver needs to be setup. More of this later.

When first installed the app goes straight to the initial settings dialog to allow you to enter the details of your receiver(s)
    Figure 2

If you are fortunate enough to own a Vu+ Solo2, which at the time of writing is the only receiver capable of transcoding both SD and HD channels on the fly, then tick the "Enable transcoding" box and enter the transcoding port (8002 by default). You will also need to enable it on the receiver itself.

Once a profile has been created the back button produces a dialog confirming whether to save the new settings.
    If save is selected, another dialog asks whether you want to use the new settings.
    If this is the only receiver then choose "Yes". If this is another profile and you do not want to use it then select "No"

If you select the "Settings" button again, with at least one receiver set up then you get the option to review your settings:

Figure 3

Selecting "Handle Receiver Profiles" allows you to add/edit/delete any profiles:

Figure 4

To add a new profile select the "Add new receiver profile" and you will be returned to Figure 2 above. If you select an existing profile you can Select, Edit or Delete it:

Back to the home screen.

The layout is reminiscent of the new interface designed for Windows 8, with clear, bright rectangles with a simple text description of the underlying functions. Windows users will be familiar with certain ways to use different programs which are consistent. For example, buttons, menus and right-clicking. On Android a common indicator of a menu is the triple dot icon, found here on the top right corner:

Figure 5

The "Enable/Disable no zapping" function is for twin tuner receivers and allows you to stream one channel while watching another on the TV screen.

The "Enable/Disable transcoding" function is an experimental function for VU+ Solo2 receivers with transcoding enabled

Section 2 - Timers

This part of the app is only for viewing and editing existing timers, or adding a manual timer at a set date and time. If you want to set a timer via the EPG, as you normally would while in front of the TV with the remote, then this is covered later.

Starting at the home screen, selecting the first tile "Timers":

Figure 6

The timer screen lists any timers that already exist. A menu and two buttons are available:

Menu-> Add manual timer

Figure 7

It does not matter which order you set the timer, but my personal preference is channel first, then date and time.

Tap "Tap here to select a channel" switches to the bouquets and allows you to choose your bouquet:

Figure 8

Tap your bouquet to select a channel

Figure 9

Tap your channel and you are returned to the timer setup screen

Selecting "Start Date/ End Date" displays a tool window:

Figure 10

You can use the up/down buttons to choose the date, scroll the months/days or tap the date directly from the calendar

Selecting "Start Time/End Time" brings up a tool window:

Figure 11

Use the up/down buttons or scroll the hours/minutes

Now select your "Event Title"

Figure 12

This is a text field and brings up the keyboard for you to give a suitable name. The "Event Description" acts similarly.

"Tap here to select a location":

Figure 13

By default /hdd/movie/ is displayed, but any bookmarks you have saved will appear as well.

When completed the back arrow prompts to save the timer.

Figure 14

If you select one of the timer events in the list, the lower half of the screen displays this event in more detail.

Menu>- Clear Timers, which deletes any timers that have already run:
    Selecting "Yes" removes expired timers:

Button>- Edit
    Allows you to edit a saved timer

Button>- Delete
    Deletes timer event (after confirmation)

Section 3 - Controls

Selecting "Controls" gives you the following:

Figure 15

Selecting the forward arrow on the brown "Power Controls" tile switches you to the first of a series of three screens representing most of the buttons on the VU remote control.
    This section will deliberately not operate unless connected via your LAN. (If you are in a remote location you would be unable to see the result of your choices!)

This entire selection allows you to use the app as a substitute for the normal remote control. Useful for those families where one person hogs the remote, or it has disappeared down the back of the sofa. The first of these screens:

Figure 16

I was getting quite a few "Connection-error" reports, usually overcome fairly easily by clicking "OK", and trying again. but annoying. It happened on all my devices. I resolved this by switching on the built-in WiFi on the Virgin Superhub, and changing settings on my Android devices to use this connection instead. Bingo! problem went away. Any user experiencing connectivity issues would be well advised to make sure their WiFi is working correctly.
    This responds as you would expect. Volume and Ch. up/down are self explanatory.
    Audio brings up your audio choices (Mpeg / AC3 /NAR etc)
    Video gives you access to your default Movie location, where recordings are stored.

Selecting any recorded file starts it playing.

The second screen:

Figure 17

This allows you to select your full EPG, or the general Menu, with all its subsequent choices to set up your receiver. You can set up a timer from the EPG but there is no change in the appearance on your device screen as you are using it as a remote control.

The final screen:

Figure 18

This screen allows you to control the playback of recordings, start an instant record and alter the volume.

Setting a timer from the EPG (Not using the "Timers" part of the app)

If you are not in front of the TV, or away from home, then you can still do the job of setting a timer. From the home screen tap "Services". This will bring up your bouquets as in Figure 8

Select the Bouquet you want, then Tap the channel you want to record from:

Figure 19

Tap "EPG"

Figure 20

Tap "Full EPG"

Figure 21

Select the event you want to record. If this is the event you want to set then tap "Set Timer":

Figure 22

Tap OK when this screen appears:

Figure 23

Section 4 - Extras.
    Button>- Extras

Figure 24

Button>- "Receiver Information" gives exactly that:

Figure 25

Grab Screenshot gets a screenshot of the video image currently being displayed.
    On a SD channel this is very quick: Refresh will update the image to the current frame displayed. Save will dump a jpeg image in the sd card (Internal if your device does not have an external SD card)

Figure 26

Button>- Search EPG:

Figure 27

Enter your search text and start search. I entered "News":

Figure 28

This assumes you have set up your EPG and populated it.
    Selecting a search result gives you 3 options:

IMDb starts browser at IMdb page or IMDb app if installed.

Set Timer enters it into the Timers database

EPG gives more details:

Figure 29

Selecting Imdb fires up your default browser on the Imdb page:

Button>- Send Message:

Figure 30

A very useful function:
    You are installed in your favourite armchair. Your spouse has the remote control. You select "Send Message" and type: "You couldn't make us a cuppa could you?" Press "Send". Time it so it is sent during the commercial break of <Insert favourite soap here> and voila, the message appears on-screen of your 50inch plasma. Sorted.

Button>- Signal Meter:

Figure 31

I can see this being incredibly useful if making minor adjustments to your satellite dish. While clinging to the top of your ladder having this display showing on your mobile phone as you nudge the dish would be very helpful.

Section 5 - Services

There is an info button on this tile to give you further information about the current channel:

Figure 32

From here you can see the next event, IMDb as before or stream,

Stream will zap and stream the selected channel, unless you have used the "No zap before streaming/multi-tuner" option has been chosen from the profile or main menu AND you have two tuners active on your receiver. You can then stream a different channel to the one currently displaying on your TV screen. If you stream an SD channel this should be clear and smooth. HD is device and network dependant.

Figure 33

Initially the channel streams and an overlay gives details. This disappears after a few seconds and leaves a clean interface:

If running a Solo2 with transcoding enabled, you can stream this on a different port.
    By default this is port 8002 but can be changed by the user to anything you like.
    This gives an acceptable image but it is dependant on the transcoder settings, which are not yet fully implemented in the Solo2:

While viewing a stream if you tap on the screen you will get the overlay seen in Figure 33.
    Menu>- "Services" to display your bouquets:

Figure 34

From here you can select another channel and switch streams

The other menu items available are shown in this composite image:

Figure 35

Menu>- Audio gives the options for audio stream eg. AC3/NAR/MPEG (Not if transcoded)

Menu>- Video Layout gives various zooming/scaling options

Menu>- Video Quality gives High/Medium/Low video options

Menu>- Vol presents a slider to alter the volume without using external device buttons

Button>- Services
    Brings up bouquet list.

There is a menu option in the services area: which can show all channels if required.

Figure 36

Choosing Show all channels (TV) can take a while to load the list as it can be very long. The Android scroll bar appears on the right to help you navigate the list:

Figure 37

Section 6 - Movies

Button>- Movies takes you to the default movie directory:

Figure 38

Again you have the option to stream or delete. Streaming does not use the transcoder as yet, so has the same problem with HD as viewing live tv.

Summary:

I have used this app both at home and away. The most useful abilities are to set a timer when away from home, and to stream live TV. It works well even with 3G mobile networks, but obviously subject to data usage from your mobile operator. Where Wi-Fi is available this is not an issue. My son used it to watch Cartoon Network HD while in Costa, connected to their free Wi-Fi. What more can I say!

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to gab2001uk For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bassethound (17-02-13),cwebb66 (18-02-13),Donnie (17-02-13),dooste.man83 (19-04-14),fabiosat (23-08-13),gordyboy (17-02-13),judge (17-02-13),obo110x (17-02-13),s1m0nw (03-08-13),Sicilian (18-02-13),Silent (18-02-13),ss_star (10-01-16),tilleke (17-02-13),yello37 (18-03-17)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Great tutorial & great app, thanks.

Title
    Thanks
    Has anyone tried it on a ET 9000???

Ta.
    FP>

Title
    Thanks
    this is great but just checking i can get all 28 east channels ok on the vu+ duo but when i ty to get something on 13 east no joy error message is unknown media error. Any help appreciated

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gordyboy View Post
    this is great but just checking i can get all 28 east channels ok on the vu+ duo but when i ty to get something on 13 east no joy error message is unknown media error. Any help appreciated
    For any problems, or bug reports, tilleke will be monitoring his announcement post http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...969#post196969 and should be able to help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gab2001uk For This Useful Post:

gordyboy (18-02-13)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    gab2001uk, tilleke, any thoughts on an ios version?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    Has anyone tried it on a ET 9000???

Ta.
    FP>
    Yes and it works perfectly.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Transcoding does not work for me using the wifi? I'm using vix image 3.0.808. Can anyone else get transcoding to work?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    as has already been pointed out you will have to wait until we release the new image.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Could I downgrade to a previous vix version and get transcoding to work then. Does anyone know which vix version transcoding works with?

vu2014
    dreamdroid is better than it with daroon player
    its quickly load stream channel but vu player is slowly

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    The Android VU-Player is about to be updated; the new version works fine.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (01-04-14)

vu2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    The Android VU-Player is about to be updated; the new version works fine.
    Please give me link new version vu player
    Thanks alot

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Title
    Thanks
    how do i set it up to use it outside home? is therr a tutorial for that?