Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best box for £150 - £200???

Title
    Thanks

Best box for £150 - £200???

I suppose a lot of this will come down to personal preference but what is the best box I can buy for £150 to £200? I'm new to all this so if you need more info please get back to me. I would be connecting it to an old Panasonic TV via SCART so don't need HDMI if that makes a difference.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    For an extra few quid.. I would go down the route of a twin tuner box..

Have a look at Technomate TM2T ..

Cracking box for £219.00.. But if you send the sponsor a pm.. He will send you back a £5 discount voucher..

So you have only gone over your budget by 15 quid.. and well well worth it..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Mister For This Useful Post:

rob1979 (16-01-13)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    I'll second the TM2T, its a great little box and i have not had any serious issues with mine since it was set up a couple of months ago. on the whole i'd say its on par if not slightly better than my Duo's, there are a few slight niggles but nothing to dissuade me from recommending it to others.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

rob1979 (16-01-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I highly recommend an enigma2 based receiver as it will make things a lot easier. for full 7day epg and channel lists etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1979 View Post
    I suppose a lot of this will come down to personal preference but what is the best box I can buy for £150 to £200? I'm new to all this so if you need more info please get back to me. I would be connecting it to an old Panasonic TV via SCART so don't need HDMI if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by warajoker; 16-01-13 at 21:07.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to warajoker For This Useful Post:

rob1979 (16-01-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies so far!

Title
    Thanks
    if you can stretch your budget a little, have a look at the VU+Uno
    with the £5 discount =£234, next day delivery, and flashed with vix image
    very good spec indeed.

dlmlus

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlmlus View Post
    very good spec indeed.
    dlmlus
    Would you honestly buy a Uno.. over the twin tuner 2T.. ??

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlmlus View Post
    very good spec indeed.

dlmlus
    yep thats another very nice receiver, my first e2 receiver in fact and it has not let me down once since i got it.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    I have a tm2t and it's an excellent box for the money but to be honest if your going to be using scart then I would just buy an old dm500s box.
    I don't see why you should spend good money on an all singing all dancing hd box when you are not going to watch in hd.
    You havn't said if you want a twin tuner box or not so assuming it's a not.

As I say I have a tmtwin and a tm2t here and they are both great boxes but if I wasn't using hdmi then it would be a dm500s like my stepson has for his tv in his room as he only has scart not hdmi, money is to hard to come by without spending on a box where you can't benefit from it's main function.

Title
    Thanks
    Scruff - Thanks for that. That's why I put that in the opening thread as I don't have an up-to-date TV so you're right in that I don't want to waste money on features I can't use. My only worry with an old Dreambox is getting a clone.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scruff1963 View Post
    I have a tm2t and it's an excellent box for the money but to be honest if your going to be using scart then I would just buy an old dm500s box.
    I don't see why you should spend good money on an all singing all dancing hd box when you are not going to watch in hd.
    You havn't said if you want a twin tuner box or not so assuming it's a not.

As I say I have a tmtwin and a tm2t here and they are both great boxes but if I wasn't using hdmi then it would be a dm500s like my stepson has for his tv in his room as he only has scart not hdmi, money is to hard to come by without spending on a box where you can't benefit from it's main function.
    Very true scruff.. I can see exactly where you coming from..

But what happens if you want a 7 day EPG.. and the AutoBouquetUpdater.. Recording facility's .. etc etc etc..

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Scruff - Thanks for that. That's why I put that in the opening thread as I don't have an up-to-date TV so you're right in that I don't want to waste money on features I can't use. My only worry with an old Dreambox is getting a clone.
    well if you buy a DM500 it's almost certainly a clone as they ceased making them over 6 years ago, all DM500's on the market now are clones or in some rare cases people selling older units.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    7 day EPG I would like. Record facility would be good too but not a deal-breaker as have a Humax freeview box with record facility. Not sure what an Autobouquetupdater is but it sounds lovely ;-)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi Rob..

Autobouquetupdater is a really cool piece of kit that AndyBlac developed..

It updates your bouquets every day at a time that suits you.. So chances are you will never ever see another channel that has gone off due to frequency chances.. most Vix users are now using this.. and even works on some other images also..

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Mister For This Useful Post:

rob1979 (16-01-13)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    well your not going to get a Full 7 day epg with a E1 system which the DM500 is, as for ABM thats a plugin that once setup keeps your channels auto updated in a similar way to how sky uk do including the sky uk numbering system, it also works with many other European service providers but it's only for E2 systems but as you dont need HD it will likely be of no use to you.

SIMPLES.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast