Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCcam legal/illegal

Title
    Thanks

CCcam legal/illegal

Just out of curiosity is CCcam on its own without any active lines legal to have on your set up box.
    Thanks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm sure its OK
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prince786 View Post
    Just out of curiosity is CCcam on its own without any active lines legal to have on your set up box.
    Thanks
    Our Dutch provider even has helped by adapting the firmware of the smartcard to allow (limited) sharing via CCcam.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    CCcam and other softcams may not be illegal as such, they live in a very grey area and in the UK we have no other option but to use softcams if we want to use a offical sky card in any thing but a sky box. some of our european cousins on the mainland have a more liberal way of thinking, but in the UK sky have a monopoly over satellite based transmissions.

Basically rupert murdock has his hand so far up this and previous governments backsides that he can get away with and do pretty much as he likes in this area. in the same way that he was ordered to produce a NDS cam unit for sale and didnt bother.

ok so i went off topic a little but i felt the need to have a rant so i did.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (14-01-13),Donnie (14-01-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    CCcam and other softcams may not be illegal as such, they live in a very grey area and in the UK we have no other option but to use softcams if we want to use a offical sky card in any thing but a sky box. some of our european cousins on the mainland have a more liberal way of thinking, but in the UK sky have a monopoly over satellite based transmissions.

Basically rupert murdock has his hand so far up this and previous governments backsides that he can get away with and do pretty much as he likes in this area. in the same way that he was ordered to produce a NDS cam unit for sale and didnt bother.

ok so i went off topic a little but i felt the need to have a rant so i did.
    Yep, different from here in Germany, where they have to provide different cards (S02, V13 etc) depending on the customers receiver (usually not a Sky box) and even provide(at a cost) their own CAM for some receivers.

Title
    Thanks
    Having a some legal background I can say that the softcams, software and 3rd party receivers are not illegal. As far as I am aware in the UK there has not been a single legal case banning the use of such software.

I can also point out that card sharing is not illegal in practice. What is illegal is selling services and profiting from items you are not permitted to sell, which infringes on copyright law and a few others as well.

Case 1 - A person has a legitimate subscription registered to his / her property. They use the third party software to share their very legitimate sub to another receiver in their home which is registered with the provider. There is no infringement on any law in this land, and anybody who says there is will need to point me in the direction of the case which has the law / statute behind it.

In case 1 - if the person with the legitimate sub shares it with themselves even at another property i.e. a 2nd home, where only they will access the service that is subscribed too will be hard pushed to be breaking the law.

However, if at any point you resell these services you are breaking lots of laws which carry severe penalties.

In the UK (suppose it goes for europe as well) I can almost certainly that there will never be a case of anyone being prosecuted when they are sharing with themselves or not for profit, and the reason being that if the providers lost the case that - which I think they would, that would set a precedent and it would be open season.

So in answer to the question, 3rd party software used with recievers is not illegal at all. If you think different point me in the direction of laws where people have been prosecuted who have not been selling a service they are not entitled too.

FP.

Edit - at worst it is breaking terms of service - which is civil law and not criminal.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flyingpig For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (14-01-13),Donnie (14-01-13),prince786 (21-01-13),Rob van der Does (14-01-13),s1m0nw (14-01-13),sherry (05-11-16),warajoker (14-01-13)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    Having a some legal background I can say that the softcams, software and 3rd party receivers are not illegal. As far as I am aware in the UK there has not been a single legal case banning the use of such software.

I can also point out that card sharing is not illegal in practice. What is illegal is selling services and profiting from items you are not permitted to sell, which infringes on copyright law and a few others as well

So in answer to the question, 3rd party software used with receivers is not illegal at all. If you think different point me in the direction of laws where people have been prosecuted who have not been selling a service they are not entitled too.
    And as I stated above: that's also the way our Dutch & Belgian providers look at things. They even supported the setup of this so called 'in-house sharing'. Hence you see free talking about that on Dutch forums.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Flyingpig (14-01-13)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    In the UK (suppose it goes for europe as well) I can almost certainly that there will never be a case of anyone being prosecuted when they are sharing with themselves or not for profit, and the reason being that if the providers lost the case that - which I think they would, that would set a precedent and it would be open season.

So in answer to the question, 3rd party software used with recievers is not illegal at all. If you think different point me in the direction of laws where people have been prosecuted who have not been selling a service they are not entitled too.

FP.

Edit - at worst it is breaking terms of service - which is civil law and not criminal.
    well i would disagree with that, it may not be illegal but in the case of sky uk who charge for "multi room" subs, you will find your sub cancelled imminently and your self on a lifetime black list if they ever discovered you sharing your card with other receivers in your own home.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks

Re: CCcam legal/illegal

well i would disagree with that, it may not be illegal but in the case of sky uk who charge for "multi room" subs, you will find your sub cancelled imminently and your self on a lifetime black list if they ever discovered you sharing your card with other receivers in your own home.
    It reads to me that you have actually just agreed with him. It's not illegal but it breaks the terms of service.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zappahey For This Useful Post:

nonecks (14-01-13)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    And as I stated above: that's also the way our Dutch & Belgian providers look at things. They even supported the setup of this so called 'in-house sharing'. Hence you see free talking about that on Dutch forums.
    Added to that: those providers do support the in-house-sharing in spite of the fact that they also sell multi-room cards.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Interesting to hear that. again its us muppets in the UK who get shafted while our brothers on the continent are allowed. Typical UK law. Naff.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Vu+Duo
    Vix Hades
    WD 1TB Blue Desktop Drive 3.5" SATA-III 7200RPM 64MB =Cross EPG & 256mb Swap File
    Kingston DataTraveler SE9 8GB USB =PTS

Vu+Duo
    Vix Hades
    Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB=Cross EPG & 256mb Swap File
    Kingston DataTraveler SE9 8GB USB =PTS

Both Duo's Plugins, Lraizer Autobouquet, Cacheflush, Mediascanner, Picture player, Movie Browser & Openwebif

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyblueys For This Useful Post:

josh_g (14-01-13)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyblueys View Post
    Interesting to hear that. again its us muppets in the UK who get shafted while our brothers on the continent are allowed. Typical UK law. Naff.
    I doubt it's UK law. Reading the above it's UK-provider.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    I doubt it's UK law. Reading the above it's UK-provider.
    Technically it is uk law as it comes under copywrite theft due to the softcam circumventing the protection algorithms of the card and im fairly certain the same would apply to all european countries if pushed.

Card sharing has always been a taboo subject that was tolerated by the service providers, this has now changed due to the massive amounts of users obtaining channels illegally without contributing any thing back the same thing hapened with uk cable.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

SIMPLES.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Technically it is uk law as it comes under copywrite theft due to the softcam circumventing the protection algorithms of the card and im fairly certain the same would apply to all european countries if pushed.
    I don't believe a word of that. On what do you base that?

Related (indeed not about CCcam, but still): telesat also supports Linux-receivers (or better: clients using Linux receivers). See
    Code:
    http://www.telesat.be/client/communication.aspx?id=46

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    And do you really think our providers would support CCcam if that would be illegal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast