Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup Vu Duo

Title
    Thanks

Backup Vu Duo

Hi all,

I have never done any sort of backup to my boxes. Dreambox 800se and now Vu+Duo

Can someone explain just what the backup saves and how to restore it just in case ?

Regards

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    There are two kinds of backup.

Blue Button> ViX> backup manager.

This allows you to backup any settings / plugins / tuner configs etc. you can customize this method to include any location or folder of the image you like. you can use this backup to restore a fresh flash to your setup via the same backup manager that created it or via the FIW ( first install wizard ).

Blue Button> ViX> image manager.

This allows you to create a exact copy of your existing image and all of it's settings etc. This backup can be flashed to the receiver in the exact same way as a standard image allowing you to set the box up to a known working setup in a few minutes.

There are obviously more points to these methods but thats as much as i can think of rite now off the top of my head.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

tonyvix (02-11-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post

This allows you to backup any settings / plugins / tuner configs etc. you can customize this method to include any location or folder of the image you like. you can use this backup to restore a fresh flash to your setup via the same backup manager that created it or via the FIW ( first install wizard ).

This allows you to create a exact copy of your existing image and all of it's settings etc. This backup can be flashed to the receiver in the exact same way as a standard image allowing you to set the box up to a known working setup in a few minutes.

There are obviously more points to these methods but thats as much as i can think of rite now off the top of my head.
    So better to do the image one then ?

What size of USB ?

Regards

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    It's wise to make one of each. as for USB size i use a 4gb stick on most of my receivers for EPG / Picon / and backups etc.

The image backup the image manager creates will be well under 100 Meg depending on the plugins etc you have installed.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

tonyvix (02-11-12)

Title
    Thanks

Can both types of backup be put on same USB stick ?

Stick formatted to FAT 32, inserted in receiver then select the backups ?

Regards

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yes but if you flash a backup image back to the box it will already contain all the settings and plugins that were present at the time the backup was made.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    yes but if you flash a backup image back to the box it will already contain all the settings and plugins that were present at the time the backup was made.
    Yes...but I I reflash with a backup that I know to be good (like now) and the box misbehaves in the future, would my reflashed backup not restore it to a working state ? (like now)...hope you know what I mean ?

Regards

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    keep the backup safe and you can restore to that particular image at any time you want by flashing it in the same way as any other image via USB. just be sure to have the options to create backups automatically when you update the box and if some thing goes wrong you can reflash the previous working image.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    keep the backup safe and you can restore to that particular image at any time you want by flashing it in the same way as any other image via USB. just be sure to have the options to create backups automatically when you update the box and if some thing goes wrong you can reflash the previous working image.
    1. Is this option selectable in the menu ?

2. Can both backups go on same stick ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    menu> setup> system> software update>

automatic setting backup > YES
    automatic image backup > YES.

Menu> setup> ViX> image manager> make sure device points to /media/usb if it does not press menu them left and right buttons to adjust.
    Menu> setup> ViX> backup manager> make sure device points to /media/usb if it does not press menu them left and right buttons to adjust.

both a settings backup and a image backup will them be created on the USB stick when you do a online update via the GUI. you can restore the settings backup at any time via the backup manager, to use the image backup you must place it onto a USB stick in the exact same way as you do a normal image.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    menu> setup> system> software update>

automatic setting backup > YES
    automatic image backup > YES.

Menu> setup> ViX> image manager> make sure device points to /media/usb if it does not press menu them left and right buttons to adjust.
    Menu> setup> ViX> backup manager> make sure device points to /media/usb if it does not press menu them left and right buttons to adjust.

both a settings backup and a image backup will them be created on the USB stick when you do a online update via the GUI. you can restore the settings backup at any time via the backup manager, to use the image backup you must place it onto a USB stick in the exact same way as you do a normal image.
    Sorry for my thickness here.

I was under the impression I could "just make a backup" of settings and image at a time when all was well with the Duo without doing an image backup but on reading your answer I can't.

Is the image backup not already on the original stick I have made the backup on ? I am not grasping this at all...sorry !

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    you can create a image or settings backup at any time you wish from within the various managers as i details above. when in the image or backup manager you will see a button to create a new backup.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    you can create a image or settings backup at any time you wish from within the various managers as i details above. when in the image or backup manager you will see a button to create a new backup.
    Thanks.

Can both images go on one USB stick or should I use a separate stick for each ?

Regards

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Both can be saved to the same stick, but when it comes to flashing a backup image back to the receiver it's best to use a freshly formatted stick with only the image files on it nothing else.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Both can be saved to the same stick, but when it comes to flashing a backup image back to the receiver it's best to use a freshly formatted stick with only the image files on it nothing else.
    I bought a Sandisk 4gb 2 pack. I will use one for settings and one for image.

Thanks for your input !

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast