Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: "EPG Location" option not appearing on EPG "Settings" page

Title
    Thanks

"EPG Location" option not appearing on EPG "Settings" page

I mentioned this in passing while finishing off a thread that I started before purchasing my new Duo a week or so ago.

After a bit of experimenting I've got all the features set up now that I was looking for and I'm very impressed with the box and the Vix interface.

I initially set up CrossEPG to download to internal memory while awaiting the arrival of my new internal HDD and pen drive. The 7-day EPG is working fine, but I want to change the location now to the internal HDD, and the option to do so seems to have disappeared from my EPG Setup page. At one stage before the arrival of the internal HDD I was having problems with setting /media/usb and media/hdd locations in the mount manager, this is working fine now the internal HDD is installed, but I wonder if it was at this point that the "EPG location" setting disappeared.

I know that EPG location should be the first option when I press

Menu > Set Up > System > EPG > Settings

but what I actually get when I select this option is

EPG Setup
    =======
    Show EIT now/next in Infobar (Yes)
    Enable EIT EPG (Yes)
    Enable MHW EPG (No)
    Enable Freesat EPG (Yes)
    Enable ViaSat EPG (Yes)
    Enable Netmed EPG (Yes)

The only ideas I've got for trying to get it back are
    1. Deinstall/reinstall the CrossEPG plugin to see if that brings it back
    2. FlashFXP into the box from my PC and delete the epg.dat file (I can see it in folder /etc/enigma2/) - I've tried this but I believe you have to terminate enigma for this to be successful and I'm not sure how to do this yet
    3. Try to get back to an earlier backup - I think I've got one on my external USB that I was using before the arrival of the internal HDD - not 100% sure the EPG location was appearing at that time but I think it's likely as I do remember seeing the option at some point
    4. Re-flash the Vix image

Would rather avoid options 3 or 4 if possible as everything is basically set up perfectly apart from this one issue.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by technomate61 View Post

The only ideas I've got for trying to get it back are
    1. Deinstall/reinstall the CrossEPG plugin to see if that brings it back
    2. FlashFXP into the box from my PC and delete the epg.dat file (I can see it in folder /etc/enigma2/) - I've tried this but I believe you have to terminate enigma for this to be successful and I'm not sure how to do this yet
    3. Try to get back to an earlier backup - I think I've got one on my external USB that I was using before the arrival of the internal HDD - not 100% sure the EPG location was appearing at that time but I think it's likely as I do remember seeing the option at some point
    4. Re-flash the Vix image

Would rather avoid options 3 or 4 if possible as everything is basically set up perfectly apart from this one issue.
    1. cross EPG is a integral part of the image, if you do remove this it will break the image.
    2. you can do this via a telnet session, if your unsure some one will help you.
    3. always a option yes.
    4. again a option.

before you do try any of the above make sure that the HDD and USB stick are mounted properly as so.

blue button> ViX> mount manager>

you should see the mounts setup like so.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

technomate61 (24-09-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Pheonix

Yes my mounts look similar:

USB: Cruzer Fit
    Size: 7GB Mount: /media/usb
    Device: /dev/sda1 Type: vfat R/W
    HARDDISK: WDC WD20EARX-00P
    Size: 1.82TB Mount: /media/hdd
    Device: /dev/sdb1 Type: ext4 R/W

Is there a guide somewhere to starting a telnet session, if not is it always best to start a new thread to request that info to get the request noticed?

And with option 4 which of the backups should I restore from - I've got
    - vuduo-3.0.268-2012-09-18_09-29.tar in folder \backup
    or I've got 2 folders
    - vuduo-3.0.268-20120914_005833 or
    - vuduo-3.0.268-20120918_093113 in location \imagebackups? (Both contain files kernel_cfe_auto & root_cfe_auto.jffs2 in \vuplus\duo)

Cheers.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi Pheonix

Yes my mounts look similar:

USB: Cruzer Fit
    Size: 7GB Mount: /media/usb
    Device: /dev/sda1 Type: vfat R/W
    HARDDISK: WDC WD20EARX-00P
    Size: 1.82TB Mount: /media/hdd
    Device: /dev/sdb1 Type: ext4 R/W

Is there a guide somewhere to starting a telnet session, if not is it always best to start a new thread to request that info to get the request noticed?

And with option 4 which of the backups should I restore from - I've got
    - vuduo-3.0.268-2012-09-18_09-29.tar in folder \backup
    or I've got 2 folders
    - vuduo-3.0.268-20120914_005833 or
    - vuduo-3.0.268-20120918_093113 in location \imagebackups? (Both contain files kernel_cfe_auto & root_cfe_auto.jffs2 in \vuplus\duo)

Cheers.
    Yes you can use the default telnet client in windows if you use windows. There is a tutorial to activate telnet in windows 7. But at present I'm online on my phone so can't direct you to it. If no one replies before I get back in ill see what I can do to help.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

technomate61 (24-09-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Here is your guide pheonix
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mcquaim For This Useful Post:

technomate61 (24-09-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcquaim View Post
    Here is your guide pheonix
    thanks buddy. @technomate61 click on the red HERE for the tutorial.

SIMPLES.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

technomate61 (24-09-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Cheers both so what I think I need to do is
    1. Start telnet session via command prompt (after enabling in Control Panel - yes I am on Win7 btw)
    2. Connect by entering username (and password in my case - as I have to enter "dreambox" in FlashFXP)
    3. I'm not familiar with telnet commands but elsewhere on the forum (post by pooface) I found the following commands to clear out all epg & crossepg data -

init 4
    rm /media/usb/epg.dat
    rm /media/usb/crossepg/*.*
    init 3

I'm guessing I should modify these as follows (don't worry if this is wrong I won't try this without getting confirmation first!) -

init 4
    rm /etc/enigma2/epg.dat
    rm /etc/enigma2/crossepg/*.*
    init 3

I presume "init 4" stops enigma & "init 3" restarts it? At which point maybe check the files/folder are no longer visible in FlashFXP first - I guess it would be just as easy to use FlashFXP to remove them) then go to the box & check my "EPG Setup" data to see if "EPG location" is back?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Cheers both so what I think I need to do is
    1. Start telnet session via command prompt (after enabling in Control Panel - yes I am on Win7 btw)
    2. Connect by entering username (and password in my case - as I have to enter "dreambox" in FlashFXP)
    3. I'm not familiar with telnet commands but elsewhere on the forum (post by pooface) I found the following commands to clear out all epg & crossepg data -

init 4
    rm /media/usb/epg.dat
    rm /media/usb/crossepg/*.*
    init 3

I'm guessing I should modify these as follows (don't worry if this is wrong I won't try this without getting confirmation first!) -

init 4
    rm /etc/enigma2/epg.dat
    rm /etc/enigma2/crossepg/*.*
    init 3

I presume "init 4" stops enigma & "init 3" restarts it? At which point maybe check the files/folder are no longer visible in FlashFXP first - I guess it would be just as easy to use FlashFXP to remove them) then go to the box & check my "EPG Setup" data to see if "EPG location" is back?
    yes thats pretty much it.
    you can also use the init 4 command to stop enigma then delete the epg.dat file via a FTP session once done use the init 3 command to wake enigma. which ever is easiest for you.

SIMPLES.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

technomate61 (24-09-12)

Title
    Thanks
    OK I got all that to work (I think) - stopped enigma, deleted epg.dat via flashfxp, issued the remove command for the folder via telnet (as I wasn't sure whether to leave the crossepg folder there - telnet empties it but leaves the folder). Checked flashfxp & the folder contents were gone. Issued wake up command for enigma. Went back into the box, checked mounts (OK), checked EPG Setup page - still no "EPG location" option. My epg listings were gone, but my selections for
    - Sky UK OpenTV in CrossEPG > OpenTV Providers &
    - Rytec Spain XMLTV in CrossEPG > XMLTV Providers
    were still ticked (expected those to have been cleared down too)?

Would welcome your thoughts on above & where to go next. Cheers. (I presume "init 3" is my last Telnet command and then I just close the box for the Telnet session?)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    [QUOTE ]

Would welcome your thoughts on above & where to go next. Cheers. (I presume "init 3" is my last Telnet command and then I just close the box for the Telnet session?)[/QUOTE]

yes after issuing the init 3 command to restart enigma you can close the telnet window. Not really sure where to go from here though. Except to backup every thing and try a fresh install.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    I think all 3 of my backups on the external drive were probably taken before the problem appeared - box arrived on the Thursday 13th and I was away from Friday-Sunday so I have an image backup from the early hours of the Friday morning plus regular/image backups from the following Tuesday. I'm guessing the "tar" file in the backup folder is just a backup of my personal settings and the imagebackup folders contain backups of both Vix image+personal settings - is this right? In which case I'd maybe best trying the restores in the following order (settings only/earlier image/later image)? -
    1. \backup\vuduo-3.0.268-2012-09-18_09-29.tar
    2. \imagebackups\vuduo-3.0.268-20120914_005833\etc...
    3. \imagebackups\vuduo-3.0.268-20120918_093113\etc...
    And do I just FTP these into the relevant backup folders on \media\usb - which is where Backup Manager and Image Manager appear to be searching) then click on them in the Vix Manager pages? Cheers.

Title
    Thanks
    Just a quick update - I've now tried several restores & a couple of flashes with a later image 3.0-294.

My earliest settings backup actually had no options at all on the EPG Setup page so I went back to my earliest full image backup(midnight on day the Duo was delivered), which brought back the full EPG Setup page including "EPG location". I was having a few problems elsewhere so tried flashing with 3.0-294.

This was OK except when I came to follow the moderator punisher's "How to install CCcam/MGCamd/Others on Duo/solo/Uno etc." again I managed to install the ipk for ccam-2.2.1 and did the GUI restart but when I went to the Softcam Manager the option to start CCCam 2.2.1 was not there. Just re-flashed again & got the same problem. So when I press the blue button my first option is the CrossEPG Downloader rather than the Softcam manager. Any suggestions for this one?
    Last edited by technomate61; 25-09-12 at 15:32.